Madden Medal

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

snippa
Club Player

Madden Medal

This has got to be the most pathetic thing I have ever heard.....

'THE Madden name will now stand alongside that of Coleman, Smith and Brownlow after the AFL Players' Association yesterday launched the inaugural Madden Medal for retiring players......'

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/ ... 42,00.html

I am the king of the divan
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

That's pretty shocking, but at least it will be another medal for the trophy cabinet of one R. Harvey.

jill
Club Player

:evil: What justification ,if any, did they give for this farcical title? :roll:

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

jill wrote::evil: What justification ,if any, did they give for this farcical title? :roll:
Without trying to sound like I am defending either Simon or Justin, but they did play around 600 games between them. I guess the AFLPA think that is a record that may never be broken !!

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
jill wrote::evil: What justification ,if any, did they give for this farcical title? :roll:
Without trying to sound like I am defending either Simon or Justin, but they did play around 600 games between them. I guess the AFLPA think that is a record that may never be broken !!
I'm not sure why, but I don't really have a problem with a medal being named after Simon Madden. Justin Madden is a different story altogether.

I don't understand if they wanted to award such a medal for 'long term service' why didn't they name it the Bartlett? Afterall, he held the record numbetr of games until Tuck passed him and is still only the second player in history to play 400 games. Whilst Tuck has been honoured I don't believe that Bartlett has?

snippa
Club Player

It's the whole concept that bothers me.

Most of these guys have had long and distinguihed careers. Some panel of 'experts' is now going to judge who is the best? retired player of the past year.

If I didn't know better, I would have thought this a Sheedy idea......

I am the king of the divan
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

snippa wrote:It's the whole concept that bothers me.

Most of these guys have had long and distinguihed careers. Some panel of 'experts' is now going to judge who is the best? retired player of the past year.

If I didn't know better, I would have thought this a Sheedy idea......
Exactly right...how could you have chosen between Hird, Archer, Kouta and Grant this year fr instance>???

God why must we have Medals, Trophies, Cups, Shields and Awards for everything?? Are there any 2 Clubs left who dont play each other for the "honour" of some dodgy looking trophy?

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

saint66au wrote:Are there any 2 Clubs left who dont play each other for the "honour" of some dodgy looking trophy?
Having said that saint66au, I now put forward a submission to the heavyweights at the AFL that St Kilda and Geelong contest for the above-mentioned Trophy.

It shall be named "The Run Out Of Ideas To Name A Trophy" Trophy.

my les foote
Club Player

It seems it is not for the best of the retiring players but:
Simon's brother, former Carlton and Essendon ruckman Justin Madden, said the award would highlight the contribution players made to the community.

"It's nice at this stage of their careers, when they've finished with the career on the field to have all their other work recognised," he said.
Will they award them retrospectively? Maybe Allan Murray could win one!

But agreed totally, this is a joke.

Win it for HIM!
killa_gram
Club Player

What a wank of an award.

Next we will have the "Cousins Medal" for the AFL player who has the most off field troubles in a season, the inaugural short list includes Fevola, Didak, Kerr, Farmer and Sampi.

The award will be announced at the Tunnel Nightclub once it is rebuilt.

Innocent until proven guilty!

I'm Baaaaaaaaack!!!!!!
riccardo
Saintsational Legend

Sounds like a load of crap to me.

Another way for the AFL to suck up the arrogant behinds of Hird, Buckley, et al. :roll:

Don't they realise the less medals and awards they have the more special they are? This glut of cups, trophies, medals and other shiny things means a player soon won't be able to pick his nose without winning an award for it.

Cheapens actual honours like the Brownlow, Norm Smith, etc

stinger
Saintsational Legend

steaming heap of frog s***..... :roll:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i think the afl are still creaming themself over the fact of the big names calling it quits this year the want to capitalise on it so they will have another awards dinner where they will charge the diehard essendon, carlton, collingwood and Kangaroos fans $250 for a child serve meal and to see there heros once more done a tux to recive this stupid award then the AFL can again get that great pic of the retiring players all together once more for the back page of the newspaper

its a stupid idea but heck it will make money so the AFL will run with it

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
RBnW
Club Player

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:i think the afl are still creaming themself over the fact of the big names calling it quits this year the want to capitalise on it so they will have another awards dinner where they will charge the diehard essendon, carlton, collingwood and Kangaroos fans $250 for a child serve meal and to see there heros once more done a tux to recive this stupid award then the AFL can again get that great pic of the retiring players all together once more for the back page of the newspaper

its a stupid idea but heck it will make money so the AFL will run with it
just what we need another medal........, maybe its an Eddieism created so that Bucks can get a medal before he finally departs for life as an Arab slave....
Great news is that our very own Harvs will win it hands down when he finally calls it a day......That would have been a better name for it instead of Dimwit calling it after the Minister for planning......maybe Dimwit is building an exstension at home and needs to make sure it gets approved by big Jussy....

Our best is yet
to come......
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

It's been put up by the AFLPA, not the AFL, you dimwits.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

killa_gram wrote:What a wank of an award.

Next we will have the "Cousins Medal" for the AFL player who has the most off field troubles in a season, the inaugural short list includes Fevola, Didak, Kerr, Farmer and Sampi.

The award will be announced at the Tunnel Nightclub once it is rebuilt.
Ahhh The Tunnel....circa 1991....

The red carpet - sorry the squelchy carpet beneath one's feet.....

The pool tables on the lower level that started more fights than anything because of the cramped cue positions....

And taking VFL footballers there with drinks cards. Drinks cards that got you drinks, not E's, ICE, Coke (not Coca-Cola), just drinks.

And some would drink water and waste some spaces on your drinks cards and the next week you'd back it up with them with no drama's, no bad media reports, just good fun and good mates.....

Ahhh The Tunnel - and that little underground tunnel that joined to The Gallery.... :lol: