The 'Go To' Midfield Set-up

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

The 'Go To' Midfield Set-up

Reading the thread on the Goal Kicking Forward Line I started thinking about who our clutch midfield team would be. The set up we'd go with when we really needed to win the ball out of the middle. The set up we'd go with should we find ourselves in the position we were in against the Eagles after Kosi kicked the goal to enable us to have a crack at winning the match.

My view is King, Hayes, Ball and Harves.

I'd also have Joey and Dal running in off opposing wings set up to favour their kicking legs with Gilbert and Goddard coming off the half back line. Gilbert for his pressure and ball winning abilities and Goddard for his poise and kicking ability.

I know this is just another modified thread on our best line up but I'm seriously bored having been stuck at home for 5 weeks. The mods can delete if this is repetitive.

Unforgiven
SS Life Member

Yeh It would definitly be King, Hayes, Ball

The last person for me is a hard one. Harvs, Joey, Dal, all candidates. I'd probably lean towards Dal maybe.

Carpe Diem
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

King, Hayes, Dal Santo, Harvey

our best ruckman, best ball winner, best user, most experienced legend and ball magnet

Nee!
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

If fit, Ball, Hayes and Dal would have to be it.

3 great tacklers. 3 who rarely lose contests. 3 who can win contests. 3 who can play 'outside'. 2 brilliant 'inside' players. 1 with brilliant skills. 1 with pace. 1 line breaker. 1 who intimidates.

That's a pretty fair spread of skills to have in your midfield.

If fit.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Work with a bloke who played a few games for the Cats early 90's and is still a feral cat man through and through and still has a fair bit to do with them.

He says King is as fit and mentally as good s he's seen him in five years and we should get at least two or three good years out of him.

Also rates Charlie Gardiner off a HFF - said with a big pre-season he could do the job at CHF and let Roo go loose - but only if his attitude is right.

I don't know much about Charlie but this guy rates him well.

Would be awesome if Roo could be released into the midfield in bursts in 08.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Yep I watched the VFL Granny and Charlie was pretty bloody good playing at CHF / HFF. Smooth mover, seems very agile.

Not slow - looked quite quick for his size on a choppy oval as well.

The only query ive had on him for a while is that hes abit soft... and i dont mean hes a 'squid' ( sorry stinger ;) ) hes just not as hard at it as someone like Roo, and doesnt use his body size to advantage.

Could turn out to be a pretty handy pickup I reckon... bookmark this post ;)

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Sounds good Nick, I've also heard good things about his ability but those whispers were prefaced with doubts over how hard he's willing to work to be an AFL footballer. Everything has come reasonably easy for him up until here so hopefully this is the boot up the bum he;s needed to go that next step to regular AFL player.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

n1ck wrote:Yep I watched the VFL Granny and Charlie was pretty bloody good playing at CHF / HFF. Smooth mover, seems very agile.

Not slow - looked quite quick for his size on a choppy oval as well.

The only query ive had on him for a while is that hes abit soft... and i dont mean hes a 'squid' ( sorry stinger ;) ) hes just not as hard at it as someone like Roo, and doesnt use his body size to advantage.

Could turn out to be a pretty handy pickup I reckon... bookmark this post ;)
I hope he does - apparently a ton of ability, no courage question, just an attitude question from what I'm told - maybe like Brooksy from what I've heard, not that I know him.

Coming across with King may make it a little easier on him. I like the bookmark this post comment...

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

harvey is not going to spend all game in the guts however when a game is in the balance i would feel safe with him in there bar noone
Last edited by Saints Premiers 2008 on Sat 10 Nov 2007 12:20am, edited 1 time in total.

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2006 wrote:harvey is not going to spend all game in the guts however when a game is in the balance i would feel safe with him in their bar noone
Amen to that SP2006 and I think the opposition would be extremely nervous seeing him in there for a crucial centre clearance.

Huzzad
Club Player

Tough choice.

I'd go with King, Harvs, Dal and Lenny myself as well. And I think start Montagna on the wing then bring him when Harvs takes a rest on the bench (which will happen alot more next year). I think ultimately we have a great midfield, with a lot of options for rotation. I'd definatly have Dal in there over Ball though.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Gram is the key! On pure ability he should be only ranked behind Dal, LenDog & Bally (excluding the great man). Can he take the next step??? Can he look at how hard Joey has worked & do the same?

My A-grade midfield would be

King, Lenny & Bally, Dal in the guts with Grammy & Joey on the wings.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Perhaps Armo may be able to work his way into contention as well. Also Pick 9 if a mid.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Perhaps Armo may be able to work his way into contention as well. Also Pick 9 if a mid.
Reading some of the combos and fingers crossed Armo and Pick 9 do come to the party, given an injury free season, I feel pretty confident that our midfield (including rotations) is Top 4 material. And no I haven't got those 'Rose Coloured Glasses' on, I stepped on them a long time ago.

Apologies Animal Enclosure, I forgot all about Grammy :oops: , that frees up Goddard to be a hit up player on the forward line, one who can kick a goal from 60, allowing Gram to run through the middle.