sink or swin roos......

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stinger
Saintsational Legend

sink or swin roos......

doesn't worry me either way...but i am sick and tired of clubs like the roos, carscum melbourne and the doggies getting subsidised by the afl......

"Pressure builds on Kangaroos to move or lose funding

Caroline Wilson | October 30, 2007

THE AFL is losing patience with the leaderless Kangaroos and is on the verge of threatening to withdraw its annual $1.4 million special funding of the club by the end of 2009.

Frustrated at the club's indecisiveness regarding its forecast relocation to the Gold Coast — and increasingly angry at the North Melbourne shareholders' failure to financially support the club while attempting to control its destiny — AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou is tomorrow expected to communicate the league's position to the Kangaroos' board.

Demetriou, along with his AFL colleagues Gillon McLachlan and Andrew Catterall, will attend board talks at which chairman Graham Duff will stand down in the knowledge there is no immediate replacement.

While the Kangaroos' board awaits the Peter Scanlon-led official review of the Gemba report into its future, Demetriou and the AFL Commission have moved to make it clear that league special funding will cease at the end of 2009.

The club has been told it could not survive without the AFL funding and is expected to run at a loss this season despite the annual financial boost, which in 2008 included a total $1.2 million towards its three home-and-away games at Carrara.

The board held urgent talks yesterday in a bid to find a solution to its lack of leadership but still appears no closer to a decision on Duff's replacement, with both the AFL and key board members opposed to Mark Dawson and pessimistic that Scanlon — a former AFL commissioner — would take on the job.

No current Kangaroos director appears prepared to take it or has the support.

Despite speculation that the club shareholders will take the final decision on relocation, the board appears resolved that such a historic and momentous move would take place without consultation from its members.

The board itself will not form a view until the Scanlon review is on the table. That is expected in the next week.

A final relocation decision would almost certainly take place in the coming weeks in the knowledge that the club could not survive without AFL support and that the league's proposed relocation package will not improve with time.

The league's other 15 clubs — while not all determined to move the Kangaroos out of Melbourne — are also becoming persuaded by the view that the club has been held to ransom by shareholders who are not attempting to help the club out of its current financial plight.

There is also the threat of legal action from other clubs should the club be given an exclusive Gold Coast zone for a two to three-year period.

Kangaroos major shareholder Peter de Rauch is at odds with the AFL while Bob Ansett is understood to favour a fly-in-fly-out structure in Queensland — a structure strongly opposed by the AFL Commission, which has been working overtime to achieve a profitable stadium deal for the club via Carrara or another proposed venue at Palm Meadows.

The new chairman is expected to steer the club for the next two seasons but could vacate the role for a Queensland-based board leader by the end of 2009.

Ironically, the club's players and coaching staff, including Dean Laidley, are understood to strongly support the relocation in the belief they would no longer be forced to operate using relatively substandard training conditions.'

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Those who are thinking of buying a Roos membership to help them out should remember;

WE ARE REQUIRED TO TRAVEL INTERSTATE A 6th TIME BECAUSE OF THE ROOS

I would much prefer to play them in Melbourne (at TD) !!

yipper
SS Life Member

Eastern wrote: Those who are thinking of buying a Roos membership to help them out should remember;

!
That the Kangas "supporters" don't even bother buying a membership themselves!!

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
GrumpyOne

Those who are thinking of buying a Roos membership to help them out should remember;

Their colours are not Red White and Black,

They're not called the Saints,

They're not based at Moorabbin,

None of our players are playing for them.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

yipper wrote:
Eastern wrote: Those who are thinking of buying a Roos membership to help them out should remember;

!
That the Kangas "supporters" don't even bother buying a membership themselves!!
exactly.

They are either very poor or very pathetic all those 5 North Melbourne fans that don't have memberships.

Surely Jimmy Brayshaw could cough up an extra 500 large to get the remainder memberships!

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Im a traditionalist..I hate the idea of anyone relocating. let alone having a second AFL team in an area that only embraces its other one when it wins flags. Oh and Im selfish..I want to see as many Saints games in Melbourne as I can!!

If and when they do move..thats the end of North Melbourne, dont you worry about that. Those two words will be banned. Wheres their support base?? A whole bunch of neutrals who go cos they get freebies or as a fix cos they dont get to see their own side play live. Thats right...the majority of the crowd will actually follow another AFL Club

Is their some sort of rivalry between Brisbane and the Gold Coast that I wasnt aware of?? You know a "working class vs silvertails" thing that Freo and Port use?? nahh didnt think so.

A crazy venture IMHO..crazy. Just wait til the GC Roos have a couple of lean seasons. They wil make the crowds at the old Bears games there seem like a Grand Final by comparison

But..a word to you Roos fans. Its all well and good to scream and shout on BF and your other Forums..but I reckon if you REALLY want some puplic sympathy and a fighting chance of stayoing in town...its time to hit the streets and get some media attention. Right now to the unwashed public who dont freqent Forums its looking like a fait accompli and nobody cares.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

The anti-GC spokesman has been hitting the airwaves ... was on SEN and is going to be on SportsTonight on 3AW in the next hour.

They have formed We Are North Melbourne (WANM) as a legal body, and are in the process of incorporating it.

They also have a commercial made up:
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=392419

Plus a website:
http://www.wearenorthmelbourne.com.au/

Kangaroos group to mobilise members
October 29, 2007 - 8:55PM

Kangaroos supporters have mobilised in the wake of the possible relocation of the AFL club to the Gold Coast, forming an organisation aimed at returning decision-making power to Roos members.

We Are North Melbourne (WANM) wants members to have a stronger voice in the club's unwieldy power process, which currently ensures key decisions on the Roos' future are made by shareholders rather than members.

The Kangaroos' unique and complex share structure means the eventual decision on a permanent move to the Gold Coast - which the AFL wants and the club's Victorian-based fans don't - would be made without any direct input from Roos members.

The AFL wants a permanent presence on the Gold Coast by 2010, and they are expected to offer the Kangaroos a lucrative relocation package to head north.

Club directors held a meeting in Melbourne, and the Gold Coast issue is likely to be on the agenda at a board meeting on Wednesday amid speculation a decision on whether to relocate will be made soon.

WANM chairman David Wheaton said his group wanted to acquire enough shares or like-minded shareholders to form a bloc which would hold an Australian Democrats-like balance of power in important decision-making.

"Our long-term objective is we would return the ownership of the club to its members, but in the short-term it would be about acquiring enough shares to have a say and be able to represent the members," Wheaton told AAP.

"In We Are North Melbourne, members would actually decide which way the organisation would swing its voting power.

"Every other club is run that way (with members' input) and structured that way. Why should North Melbourne be any different?

"It's a bit like saying since they own such own such a big stake in the country, we'll let James Packer, Frank Lowy and Richard Pratt get together and decide who runs the country instead of having a general election."

The Roos' share structure was introduced when the club hit hard times in the 1980s, and then-chairman Bob Ansett publicly floated the club to raise much-needed cash.

Members currently elect three of the nine board members - the other six are voted on by shareholders.

The club itself refused to comment on any plans to relocate permanently, or when any decision would be made.

The Kangaroos are currently entering year two of a three-year, $400,000 per match deal to play 10 games on the Gold Coast.

They will play four home-and-away matches on the Coast next year after playing three there in 2007.

While there is a school of thought the Kangaroos cannot survive long-term in Victoria, those who want the club to stay put say the Roos can survive in Melbourne by increasing membership, boosting attendances for home matches and eliminating debt.

Opponents of a Gold Coast move also warn a large percentage of the club's 22,000 current members would not renew if the Roos were shipped north, and point to the Brisbane Lions' declining membership as proof south-east Queensland may struggle to house two clubs.

Any Gold Coast move would lock the Roos into the 14,000-capacity Carrara Stadium - less than half their 2007 average Melbourne home crowd of more than 34,000 - until any future redevelopment of the stadium was completed.

There is also an $11 million redevelopment under way on the Kangaroos' Melbourne headquarters at Arden Street, funded in large part by the federal and Victorian governments.

© 2007 AAP
http://news.realfooty.com.au/kangaro...0029-16vf.html

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
helsy3
Club Player

Re: sink or swin roos......

stinger wrote:doesn't worry me either way...but i am sick and tired of clubs like the roos, carscum melbourne and the doggies getting subsidised by the afl......

"Pressure builds on Kangaroos to move or lose funding

Caroline Wilson | October 30, 2007

THE AFL is losing patience with the leaderless Kangaroos and is on the verge of threatening to withdraw its annual $1.4 million special funding of the club by the end of 2009.

Frustrated at the club's indecisiveness regarding its forecast relocation to the Gold Coast — and increasingly angry at the North Melbourne shareholders' failure to financially support the club while attempting to control its destiny — AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou is tomorrow expected to communicate the league's position to the Kangaroos' board.

Demetriou, along with his AFL colleagues Gillon McLachlan and Andrew Catterall, will attend board talks at which chairman Graham Duff will stand down in the knowledge there is no immediate replacement.

While the Kangaroos' board awaits the Peter Scanlon-led official review of the Gemba report into its future, Demetriou and the AFL Commission have moved to make it clear that league special funding will cease at the end of 2009.

The club has been told it could not survive without the AFL funding and is expected to run at a loss this season despite the annual financial boost, which in 2008 included a total $1.2 million towards its three home-and-away games at Carrara.

The board held urgent talks yesterday in a bid to find a solution to its lack of leadership but still appears no closer to a decision on Duff's replacement, with both the AFL and key board members opposed to Mark Dawson and pessimistic that Scanlon — a former AFL commissioner — would take on the job.

No current Kangaroos director appears prepared to take it or has the support.

Despite speculation that the club shareholders will take the final decision on relocation, the board appears resolved that such a historic and momentous move would take place without consultation from its members.

The board itself will not form a view until the Scanlon review is on the table. That is expected in the next week.

A final relocation decision would almost certainly take place in the coming weeks in the knowledge that the club could not survive without AFL support and that the league's proposed relocation package will not improve with time.

The league's other 15 clubs — while not all determined to move the Kangaroos out of Melbourne — are also becoming persuaded by the view that the club has been held to ransom by shareholders who are not attempting to help the club out of its current financial plight.

There is also the threat of legal action from other clubs should the club be given an exclusive Gold Coast zone for a two to three-year period.

Kangaroos major shareholder Peter de Rauch is at odds with the AFL while Bob Ansett is understood to favour a fly-in-fly-out structure in Queensland — a structure strongly opposed by the AFL Commission, which has been working overtime to achieve a profitable stadium deal for the club via Carrara or another proposed venue at Palm Meadows.

The new chairman is expected to steer the club for the next two seasons but could vacate the role for a Queensland-based board leader by the end of 2009.

Ironically, the club's players and coaching staff, including Dean Laidley, are understood to strongly support the relocation in the belief they would no longer be forced to operate using relatively substandard training conditions.'
Never believe everything Wilson says Sir. Her continual quoting of her 'thourthes clothe to the board' and 'inthiders thay' is no indication that she has her evil fingers on the pulse.

I seem to remember a few articles she's written about the saints over the past year or so where this has been stated on this site. The 1.2 mill the NMFC currently receive from the CBF is peanuts in comparison with the millions it will take to support a new club in queensland, along with the cost of building the infrastructure.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

isnthhhhiders....

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

it would be very sad to see them move

i dont think i will be buying one of their memberships, as sadily all the above points are true, and they are not the saints, so i wont sign up. but as i said in another post, if i am in the city one day near arden st oval and there are some people raising money for them, i would be very happy to donate $10, but not buy a membership.

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

All clubs are made up 2 types of followers: the first actually care about their team and the second consists of people that spit a teams name out when asked who they barrack for.

Is it NM's fault that their club is clearly made of up the later? All clubs consist of both kinds of 'supporters' and its just unlucky that North indeed have too many 'followers' and not enough 'supporters'.

Should we stand up on our high horse and declare that 'North Melbourne' wont save themselves when really this is not the case??? Attempting to 'save' the club wouldn't be for these so and so followers. It would be for the thousands like you and me that have their heart and soul investing into this club.

If you want to buy a membership and help out the Roo, then do so....But dont make up excuses based on poor reasoning. Percentages are at play and the fact is that the Kangaroos have a small 'realistic' supporter base. Excluding the thousands of tossers that align themselves 'unofficially' to a club.

Saint Mik
Club Player

Its the AFL not the VFL :roll:

F*** OFF to the Gold Coast you bunch of losers i dont feel for them at all if they cant support themselves then get up there anything to stop the taking of money from our great supporters willing to pour money into a endless pit of shyte.

Take your biggest F*** WIT Carey with you, you can leave Arch we'll take him off your hands as a assistant

How many flags and what did they do to capitalize on it ?

Its there fault

Better them than us.

A donation or a raffle ticket is all you will get out of me find your OWN new members and tell your board to get off there arses and do something.

They have seen this coming for years :roll:

Forget the past, Saints footy, One better in 2010
Thomas
Club Player

All I know about these debates re relocation of clubs is, years ago St Kilda faced extintion, if am not mistaken Allen Aylett "former roos player and president" was head of the Afl, not him or any other club offered help, it was left to Fox to come up with his scheme of repayement to save our club.
Therefore forgive me if I am not simpathetic to their problems, I wish them well, but will not fork out a single cent to help.

When the going gets tough,the tough gets going.

CARN THE SAINTS.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

there's too many victorian teams already. rather they go than us. they should look at it as a positive move and an opportunity to stay afloat.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

i still reckon they are gawn........

...to queensland...

"
Roos talk of relocation compromise

October 31, 2007

THE KANGAROOS' anti-relocation push is gathering momentum after the club's major shareholder spoke of a compromise deal that would see more games on the Gold Coast but no permanent move.

The AFL wants a permanent presence on the Gold Coast by 2010, and is expected to offer the Kangaroos a lucrative relocation package to head north.

The club's board will discuss a move at a meeting in Melbourne today, with AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou expected to address the meeting to put the league's position.

Peter de Rauch, who owns an estimated 25 per cent of the club's shares, has been a long-term supporter of keeping the Roos in Melbourne rather than a permanent move.

But he said a compromise of playing seven or eight games a year on the Gold Coast while maintaining a Melbourne base, rather than a lock, stock and barrel move north, could be the right deal if the price was right.

The club is entering the second season of a three-year, $400,000 per match deal to play 10 games on the Gold Coast.

The Kangaroos will play four home-and-away matches there next year after three there in 2007.

"There is a compromise where we promote the AFL game on the Gold Coast but still be based in Melbourne," de Rauch told radio station SEN.

Any fly-in fly-out proposal for the Gold Coast may not be enough for the AFL as it is keen on a second team in southeast Queensland.

It does hold one big stick over the Kangaroos - the cash it pays the club via the AFL's competitive balance fund - funding which is due to cease in 2009.

Club officials have done nothing to douse speculation over the Roos' future, still refusing to make any public comment on whether they favour moving to the Gold Coast or not.

But rank-and-file supporters have reacted strongly to any shift.

A fan group launched on Monday, We Are North Melbourne (WANM), is aimed at ensuring any decision on relocation is made by members rather than shareholders as the club's constitution allows.

It is on the way to establishing a significant strategic shareholding, it said.

Enough shares or like-minded shareholders could give the group the balance of power in making decisions. "At this stage we're talking tens of thousands of shares in terms of what's been offered to us today," WANM chairman David Wheadon said.

Pivotal to any relocation decision will be who is appointed new Kangaroos chairman to replace the outgoing Graham Duff, and who will take his place on the nine-person board.

Both decisions are expected to be made at today's meeting.

Retired Kangaroos great Glenn Archer, known to be vehemently anti-relocation, has been suggested as a new board member.

And de Rauch yesterday hinted at the prospect of Channel Nine personality James Brayshaw, who is on the board, becoming temporary chairman until the club's next annual general meeting."

AAP

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
helsy3
Club Player

Roos won't go
31 October 2007 Herald Sun

THE Kangaroos are today expected to tell the AFL they will not move to the Gold Coast.

Kangaroos club
The Kangaroos don't want to move to the Gold Coast, despite the good times had there by players previously. Picture: Sarah Marshall
Despite intense pressure from the AFL to immediately commit to permanent relocation by 2010, it is believed the Roos' two major shareholders and a majority of their board want to remain at Arden St.

Part of the groundswell to keep the club based at Arden St is expected to see Glenn Archer join the board, maybe as early as today.