Why St.Kilda has so many interstate games in 2008

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Why St.Kilda has so many interstate games in 2008

This is the big issue for us as Saints fans in Melbourne.

We appeared to be shafted interstate a ridiculous 6 times next year, the most for any Vic club that hasn't sold off home games.

The reason IMO is simple......at away games in Melbourne, Saints fans don't turn up in the numbers you'd expect given our membership base. Quite simple really.

Think about it.....we tend to only get the good crowds for our home games (excepting away games vs say Essendon (when they are OK) and Collingwood).

The rest of the time, we have hardly any fans at away games, sometimes to an embarassingly low amount.

Carlton supposedly had many clubs requesting playing them in Melbourne in 2008, hence 18 games in Melbourne.

As much as I hate the beggars, their fans have a higher propensity to turn up to away games than Saints fans do.....and factor in the Juddergasm issue and it's no wonder they got the golden straw! (Yes I know there is the Fitzpatrick/Gorr issue also!).

So this post is a big "PULL YOUR FINGER OUT!" to those Saints members who go to all our home games in Melbourne but hardly any away games in Melbourne!

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

whoopty doo!
we play 6 interstate games!
its not the end of the world.
what about freo....they play 11 interstate games a year!

if you really want to watch the saints, but cant coz their interstate game, start saving up now! thats what im doing! im off to the gold coast!

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

saintdooley wrote:what about freo....they play 11 interstate games a year!
Usually only have to travel 10 times as they inevitably get 2 "derby" games.....

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

TimeToShineFellas wrote:
saintdooley wrote:what about freo....they play 11 interstate games a year!
Usually only have to travel 10 times as they inevitably get 2 "derby" games.....
yeah, true, i forgot about that.
but sydney and brisbane dont.

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saintdooley wrote: what about freo....they play 11 interstate games a year!
However all of their home games are against genuine 'away' teams, and their genuine 'home' ground.

Who cares?

I do.

It means from the outset, we're handicapped by the AFL in the premiership race.

We need to be about 20-30% better than other sides - as opposed to the 1% better that in a fair comp you'd need to be.

riccardo
Saintsational Legend

Six is not so bad, face it this is a national competition and we have to deal with the ramifications of that.

It will be worse when there are more Melbourne teams moved I/S, believe me.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
However all of their home games are against genuine 'away' teams, and their genuine 'home' ground.

Who cares?

I do.

We need to be about 20-30% better than other sides - as opposed to the 1% better that in a fair comp you'd need to be.
Could not agree more RF.
The Hawks, Bombers, Blues and Pies all travel four times for away games, we have to travel two more times. We can pencil in two losses for WA games as well. Harvey's 350 isn't happening again this year 8-) If we travelled six times and went to AAMI twice instead of Subiaco I would be much happier.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

I don't have any real problem with 6 interstate games.
WHat I have a problem with is that not all the Melbourne Clubs are treated on an equal basis in this.

How can the Filth continually get 4/5 interstate games per year when we, and others get 6?

B W and R all over
SS Hall of Fame

Come on guys, where are all the paranoid fantasies that the AFL is out to get us?

I would have thought they'd be rife in a post like this.

25 minutes to make a name for yourself like you've never made before.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

B W and R all over wrote:Come on guys, where are all the paranoid fantasies that the AFL is out to get us?

I would have thought they'd be rife in a post like this.
lol!

I resisted temptation for once in my life, and tried to be rational about it.

It's a shame the print media and SEN don't analyse this issue properly.....they seem to let the AFL get a free ride on it.

IMO the AFL are actually improving their game a bit re the FIXture, and some little tiny part of me thinks perhaps there is rational reason for our 6 interstate games.

Back to my OP - does anyone agree with my logic or not???

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

It could be that the CHALLENGE has been squarely put at the feet of StKilda FC and its members/fans. Fill the stadiums and end up with less Interstate travel.

Having return matches against Carl, Coll & Ess in 2008 is a start;

THE REST IS UP TO US !!

sax
Club Player

You guys talk so much CRAP!!!!
It's the AFL, NOT the F**KEN VFL any more! When are you bl**dy VICS gonna get that through your head!!!!!
The sooner there's only 6 or 7 teams in VIC-F**KEN-TORIA the better!!!
I love the SAINTS, I've supported them for 25 years, & I HOPE they're one of the vic teams to survive.
The other states joined the AFL, coz the VFL was F**KED financially & now you all winge when you have to go interstate, there's 6 other clubs that have to do it at least 10 times per year!!!!
I think ALL Vic teams should have to go interstate 6 times per season!!
This would be alot fairer!!!!

P.S.- I don't hate any Victorians that support the SAINTS :D

buzfromgronggrong

maverick wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:

Who cares?

I do.

Could not agree more RF.
The Hawks, Bombers, Blues and Pies all travel four times for away games, we have to travel two more times. We can pencil in two losses for WA games as well. Harvey's 350 isn't happening again this year 8-) If we travelled six times and went to AAMI twice instead of Subiaco I would be much happier.
Every game Harves plays for the duration of his career is a record breaking milestone game - there should be weekly banners , mid-week dinners and bi-weekly testimonials (mondays and fridays).

Perhaps with so many games in Perth Benny-boy wont have to relocate - we'll be a kind of surrogate third westie - why not??

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

saintdooley wrote:whoopty doo!

if you really want to watch the saints, but cant coz their interstate game, start saving up now! thats what im doing! im off to the gold coast!
Mummy and Daddy match you dollar for dollar do they???

When will you realise that the world doesnt revolve around money mate?? I could comfortably afford to travel to see most interstate matches, but I have an invalid father I choose to spend time with over parts of the weekend. Yes thats my choice but there are dozens of reasons apart from money that make Interstate travel to see a team play impractical.

Count your bleessings that just "saving up" solves these problems for you

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
sax
Club Player

[quote="saint66au"][quote="saintdooley"]whoopty doo!

[b]if you really want to watch the saints, but cant coz their interstate game, start saving up now! thats what im doing! im off to the gold coast[/b]![/quote]

When will you realise that the world doesnt revolve around money mate?? I could comfortably afford to travel to see most interstate matches, but I have an invalid father I choose to spend time with over parts of the weekend. Yes thats my choice but there are dozens of reasons apart from money that make Interstate travel to see a team play impractical.

Count your bleessings that just "saving up" solves these problems for you[/quote]

Good onya saints66au!!!!!! That's the way it should be, Family first, Footy and everything else second!!!!

PS- Could someone PLEASE tell me how to highlight? I'm computer illiterate! :oops: :oops:

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:

Yep, The simplistic views of adolescents...So very easy.

At 22 im only just beginning to realize the world is not that simple.

Good post.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Agreed Spinner... same age as you and also starting to see the world in a whole different light.

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:

first of all, dont start talking about peoples mums and dads when you dont know if one of their parents has died! i expect an apology for that! :evil:

but all im saying is that if people say that they cant go interstate coz they dont think they have the money, just start saving up like me now. $10 into the bank a week will get you a bl00dy long way by rd 14 for the gold coast! and for me the whole point off the off season is to give the fans some time to save up and get readdy for the new season! :wink:

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:

good post mate...

just would love to re hear the comments when the AFL was set up, when it was mentioned that ....

"although the draft is unequal, in the that teams will not play each other twice, it will eventually work out even in time (or was it in the end)......

What ever, they lied IMO

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

I'm only 22 too and really enjoyed the '66 premiership.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Riewoldting
SS Life Member

Spinner wrote:At 22 im only just beginning to realize the world is not that simple.
n1ck wrote:Agreed Spinner... same age as you and also starting to see the world in a whole different light.
Slow learners, huh?
saintdooley wrote:first of all, dont start talking about peoples mums and dads when you dont know if one of their parents has died! i expect an apology for that!
Don't play the orphan card when saint66au didn't know, nor could have known, of your special circumstances. I think we all deserve an apology for that.

"To be or not to be" - William Shakespeare
"To be is to do" - Immanuel Kant
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Quick piece of advice Dools

If you are indeed unfortunate enough to lose a parent, dont go round demanding apologies from people who may say something without being aware of it..thats what Ive done in the seven years since my Mum passed away anyway

Back on topic...going to away games is far more prevalent here than in English Soccer..even in the lower leagues where there is ample room for them....and distances are nothing compared to here

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor