pre season draft

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Barney2
Club Player

pre season draft

If St Kilda decide to enter the pre seqason draft, who do you think we need from the players we know that are available?

GrumpyOne

None. Need to balance our list with some new youngsters.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Well we have lost 5 to retirement, lost 4 to delisting and brought 4 in through trading aswell as promoting 2.
So we only have enough room for 3 more players, they will all be taken in the draft. Unfortunately I wouldn't have minded picking up someone like Mark Johnson, Guy Richards or Perrie for depth...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Total Awareness
Club Player

Agree with grumpyone none are required. Some good, young kids to compliment the rest of our list, a good pre season, a great run with injuries and a bit of hard work and we'll be well on the way.

Barney2
Club Player

yeah, perry would be handy, but then again, we got charlie Gardiner as a forward

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Barney2 wrote:yeah, perry would be handy, but then again, we got charlie Gardiner as a forward
I would not be happy if Charlie were to get a game, IMO he is a dud... but who knows, he could turn it around and become a reliable player...

384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
jill
Club Player

Geelong fan friend feels Cats did right by SK to let him continue his career, but VERY dark that Charlie has not only been let go but was part of same deal!

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

jill wrote:Geelong fan friend feels Cats did right by SK to let him continue his career, but VERY dark that Charlie has not only been let go but was part of same deal!
I agree, I actually have more respect for the cats now by the way they handled that deal, from what I understand they told the two players that they would not get a game next year and instead of delisting them let them choose what club they wanted to go to and they chose us. I don't quite understand why your friend would be upset about losing Gardiner, he's done nothing to prove he can cut it at AFL level...
Having said that though he will be a handy pick up for Casey.

RoseInOz
Club Player

From my observations in the past, and I am a grandmother, players who change teams often improve out of sight. (examples, Guerra, Fiora, Hall, Attard). Maybe our new players just need a change of club to bring out the best in them.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

RoseInOz wrote:From my observations in the past, and I am a grandmother, players who change teams often improve out of sight. (examples, Guerra, Fiora, Hall, Attard). Maybe our new players just need a change of club to bring out the best in them.
That's a nice way to look at it, but there are probably even more cases where the players have fallen into obscurity and been completely forgotten about ala J.Rawlings

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Capuano was good after he changed clubs.

GrumpyOne

RoseInOz wrote:From my observations in the past, and I am a grandmother, players who change teams often improve out of sight. (examples, Guerra, Fiora, Hall, Attard). Maybe our new players just need a change of club to bring out the best in them.
And being a grandmother, you will remember the Timmy Watson days, when a whole host of players from other clubs came to the Saints, and the best we saw of them was their backs walking out the gate.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

RoseInOz wrote: I am a grandmother
cool!

Can you please make me some scones, jam and cream - both my grandmothers carked it quite a few years back now!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Unless we delist another player I doubt whether we will have a pick in the PSD. We only have 3 picks at the moment in the draft. I think they must use 3 picks and AF said they will pick another 3 rookies so that leaves no place for Harvs or Max.

RoseInOz
Club Player

Sorry, LOL I can make pavlovas, cream puffs, and just about everything else, but my kids won't even eat my scones.

Brian Collis
Club Player

Barney2 wrote:yeah, perry would be handy, but then again, we got charlie Gardiner as a forward
Why don't we rookie Perry?

Thoughts??

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Brian Collis wrote:
Why don't we rookie Perry?

Thoughts??
I was looking more at Torney.

Thoughts?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Thoughts on Torney.

1/ Yes is capable player...but at 187cm we would seem to have ample choices to play his role in Defence....including the newly acquired Dempster.

2/ Do we have 3 vancancies now? We have picks 9, 42 and 58.....but the draft is said to be very week after pick 20. So the question for the recruiting guys is what will be on offer at 58????

3/ I think the club will wait and see. If there is a player they rate then they will go for a kid. If not the club may go either for an AFL delisted player that nominates for the draft or a player in the PSD

4/ so back on Torney...he is 30....could play in 2008..maybe 2009..but in a role we have many for. I would suspect Ross would prefer another mid, hf....or FB .

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Snakeman66
Club Player

Armoooo wrote:Well we have lost 5 to retirement, lost 4 to delisting and brought 4 in through trading aswell as promoting 2.
So we only have enough room for 3 more players, they will all be taken in the draft. Unfortunately I wouldn't have minded picking up someone like Mark Johnson, Guy Richards or Perrie for depth...
We may be able to pick up 5 players dependant on TPP(Total Player Payments).

Last year we had 38 players which included our 2 veterans on the Main List. If our TPP allows, we may be able to have our Veterans outside the main list and have 38 players plus 2 veterans however this will only allow 4 rookies instead of 6.

Refer page 66 of CBA http://www.aflpa.com.au/media/CBA%20200 ... bFINAL.pdf

On Ian Perrie, would need to add an extra wing to the medical room to accomodate him. He was not even getting a game for the Crowbots and their forward line could only be described as disfunctional. I also heard he refused to play with North Adelaide later in the season. I would look at Jason Torney ahead of Perrie. Poorly treated by the crowbots IMO.

Don't dwell on the past.
Look to the future.
Snakeman66
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote: what will be on offer at 58????

3/ I think the club will wait and see. If there is a player they rate then they will go for a kid. If not the club may go either for an AFL delisted player that nominates for the draft or a player in the PSD
You must have a minimum of 3 picks in the National Draft so pick 58 must be used. The club can not pass on this selection.

Don't dwell on the past.
Look to the future.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Snakeman66 wrote:
saintsRrising wrote: what will be on offer at 58????

You must have a minimum of 3 picks in the National Draft so pick 58 must be used. The club can not pass on this selection.
Is that still the case when you have traded away your second pick???

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

must use 3 picks in the draft, regardless how many picks you have traded away. ie carlton will have a 3rd rnd (36)? 5th rnd (68) picks that they must use.

sax
Club Player

I'm pretty sure you'll find we have 5 picks.
Banger & Max will be added to the veterans list!!

Snakeman66
Club Player

sax wrote:I'm pretty sure you'll find we have 5 picks.
Banger & Max will be added to the veterans list!!
They are already on the veterans list.

We can either go with 38 which includes 2 veterans & 6 rookies(2007 structure due to TPP) or 38 + 2 veterans and 4 rookies.

Don't dwell on the past.
Look to the future.
sax
Club Player

No they're not!!!
They were included in our primary list coz of TPP's!
If they were veteran listed, we coul have 40 players + 2 veterans!!!