Our Draft

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Our Draft

Ok im going to say we take four picks for now. Now lets just throw some names around about who we will select and why.

Pick 9 - Alex Rance (Tall defender with excellent rebounding skills. Sounds similar Sam Gilbert before he was drafted except pehaps a bit more mature, bodywise. With Hudghton nearing the end of his career a new key defender is important.)

Pick 42 - Paddy McGinnity (A good tagging midfielder with skills and ability to win his own ball. Has tagged a number of the top midfielders of his age, and has done a good job. Lyon likes his taggers and a player with McGinnity's pace and endurance.)

Pick 58 - Thomas Bellchambers (199cm giant with excellent tallent in tapwork. Is Tasmania's ruckman #1 ruckman so he knows what it is like to compete against the other first choice rucks. Doesn't have good around the ground skills, however apart from Kreuzer and Mcevoy none of the ruckmen seem to. Lyon said he was going to pick up a ruckman in the draft, so here he is.)

Pick 74 - Luke Stanton (A half forward/wingman who has been training with the AIS. Cousin of our own Nick Dal Santo which can't hurt his chances. Has been damaging when on fire but can be fairly inconsistent. Will slip under quite a few radars, worth our last pick.)

Who do you guys realistically think we will be able to take with our selections?

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I have seen Bellchambers listed as 204cm. Dont know if it is true or not. AFL have not released height data from Draft Camp this year for some reason. I dont think he will be there for us unless we take him with Pick 9, which we wont.
Also have'nt the Saints shown an interest in Stefan Martin as a ruckman?

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

We need another ball winning midfielder, preferably with pace. Think of it as Armitage insurance.

It all depends on how guys like Fiora, L. Fisher, and Gram adapt to being part of a regular midfield rotation.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:We need another ball winning midfielder, preferably with pace. Think of it as Armitage insurance.

It all depends on how guys like Fiora, L. Fisher, and Gram adapt to being part of a regular midfield rotation.
I can appreciate your sentiments Otiman but I believe that endeavouring to ensure we have a tall defender ready to step in in a couple of years with a few games under his belt will be more valuable. Rance seems to be that perfect fit.

Between Gram, L. Fisher, Fiora, X, Schneider, Armitage and hopefully an unexpected rookie or draft bonus (someone unexpected slipping low) we should be able to bolster our midfield.

Pick 1: Rance

Pick 2: Ruck / Mid

Pick 3 Whatever we did not pick up with pick 2

Tough decision, especially if one of Masten or Palmer or Ebert or Rioli is available along with Rance. It will give an insight into what Ross thinks of or values on our list, 2 to 3 years on.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

http://realfooty.com.au/news/news/saint ... 97213.html

Saints big on building ruck stocks
Karen Lyon | October 15, 2007

JUST days after securing Geelong premiership ruckman Steven King in last week's trades, St Kilda is looking to further lift its ruck department in next month's national draft.

The Saints will go into the draft with four selections — Nos 9, 42, 58 and 74 — and coach Ross Lyon said the team would select four young players, including a ruckman, to continue rebuilding stocks.

While Carlton will almost certainly select ruckman Matthew Kreuzer with the opening pick, there are other ruckmen available, including Ben McEvoy from the Murray Bushrangers and his teammate Dawson Simpson, as well as Gippsland Power's Brent Connelly, Tassie Mariner Tom Bellchambers, Western Jets' Will Sullivan and Joel Smouha from Queensland's Mount Gravatt.

The Saints spoke to young Geelong ruckman Mark Blake, who missed out on the premiership medal when the Cats chose King ahead of him for the grand final, but Blake remains at Kardinia Park.

After a thorough medical for King and what the coach labelled an "impressive" meeting, Lyon said he was prepared to take a "calculated risk" with the ruckman, believing he has another two or three good years in him.

"He is still hungry," Lyon said. "What I saw on grand final day was a lean, hungry, highly conditioned athlete."

Lyon also believes King is motivated by Geelong's decision to ultimately choose Blake in front of him, even though King tasted premiership glory. "He has a point to prove, according to him. Not according to Geelong, or according to me," the coach said. "I have real confidence in him, I am thrilled to have him and there is work to be done over our pre-season."

With ruckmen at a premium during trade week, and given the Saints' lack of success in the area in recent years, Lyon believes King buys the club time to "grow our own" and develop another young ruckman.

With Matthew Clarke retired and Michael Gardiner continuing his comeback from injuries, the club wants to put time into a young ruckman. Luke Van Rheenen has agreed to spend another year on the Saints' rookie list.

The coach said the addition of King and Geelong teammate Charlie Gardiner, as well as Sydney premiership duo Adam Schneider and Sean Dempster, would create "pressure on spots around the edges" of the senior team.

Having given up pick No. 90 for the Geelong pair — a pick that neither St Kilda nor Geelong would be likely to use — the Saints have effectively picked up four experienced players, three of them under the age of 25, for pick No. 26 in the draft. Three come with premiership experience, something that can be a double-edged sword, according to Lyon.

"It's a problem if they have been to the top of the mountain and are just playing out their years, but they are still hungry. They come from two teams, Geelong and the Swans, that encourage hard workers and they are highly disciplined; they will bring these traits with them and they are traits, I think, that are already inherent in our group," Lyon said.

"If you look at the two players we got from the Swans, they could be 150-game players for us."

Lyon had been looking at another, unnamed, ruckman but went with King not just because of his interview, but because of the chance of also getting Gardiner, who is seen as a possible replacement for Aaron Hamill or Brett Voss.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Pick 42: Bring on the Smou! Joel Smouha

If my pronunciation is anything to go by, his name is like a US Marine chant "Smou..HA". Whenever Ross asks a question at training the squad can shout "Smou..HA!"

Has all the hallmarks of a Moorabbin (Dome) / Saints cult figure.

Quixote
SS Life Member

Smouha - he was the young Israeli (?) guy recording exceptional results at Draft Camp yeah?

From memory he was top three beep, won the time-trial and was quick and agile too. Has been playing the game for only a year and adapted well.

Would seem to be certainly worht the risk of a forties pick.

Number nine anyone?

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
st paddy
Club Player

play smouha as a tag on houli - sparks will fly!

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Quixote wrote:Smouha - he was the young Israeli (?) guy recording exceptional results at Draft Camp yeah?

From memory he was top three beep, won the time-trial and was quick and agile too. Has been playing the game for only a year and adapted well.

Would seem to be certainly worht the risk of a forties pick.

Number nine anyone?
smouha does not sound like an israeli name.

saintsrule
Club Player

Pat Veszpremi 182 cm 85 kg is a quick midfielder that gets lots of the ball

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Pick 1: Alex Rance (194cm Key Defender)

Pick 2: Dawson Simpson (206cm Giant Ruckman)

Pick 3: Best Midfielder Availble

Pick 4: Robert Tarrant (196cm Key Forward)

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Surely Tarrant wouldnt be there that late.

I think we were only planning to use 3 picks anyway...

9, 42 (?), 68 (?)

Edit: 9, 42, 58, 74

Will be suprised if Simpson is still there into the 40s as well.
Last edited by n1ck on Mon 15 Oct 2007 6:09pm, edited 1 time in total.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Smouha is the young Israeli... did VERY well in all the athletic trials, think he was the strongest KPP/ruck option in all of the fitness tests.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

st paddy wrote:play smouha as a tag on houli - sparks will fly!
Haha pissa....

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

n1ck wrote: I think we were only planning to use 3 picks anyway...

9, 42 (?), 68 (?)
the correct picks are in the op.

im pretty sure ross said we plan to use for picks

G-Unit
Club Player

Surely Tarrant wouldnt be there that late.
i thought tarrant was in the draft last year and wasn't picked up, can someone confirm this?
also, he is very inconsistent like his brother.

"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Stay right away from Tarrant. Won't make it.

IMO.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

SAINTS selections

Cyril 'Junior' Rioli (Rover / Wing / Small Fwd)
Alex Rance (Key Def)
Ben McEvoy (Ruck / Fwd)

Brent Connelly (Ruck / Fwd)
Jackson Hall (Wing/RR)
Dan McKenna (Key Def)

Daniel Rich (Wing/RR)
Dawson Simpson (Ruck)
Michael Hurley (Key Def)

Ashley Hockey (Rover)
Andrew Renton (Ruck)
Chris Kangars (Key Def)

The way I see it if we are to take 4 x selections at the draft then it will most likely be 2 x midfielders, 1 x ruckman and 1 x key defender.

Above I have listed 3 possibilities at each selection depending upon who is available and what is seen as the greatest need. Selection #9 will set the trend for the remainder. If RIOLI is there at #9 I think the club will lean towards him, however if he is gone then RANCE (Def) remains our next greatest need and he will be selected.

If the above is correct and we don’t select McEVOY at #9 our next selection will be a ruckman possibly CONNELLY (goal kicking ruckman similar to McEVOY). If do take a ruckman at #9 then the next will be HALL another quick midfielder.

Selection #58 will complete the trifecta with what ever position has been skipped in the first two selections.

The last selection will be best remaining but I have included a midfielder, Ruck & KPP and possibilities.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Can Smouha actually play? If he has a small amount of football talent he could be a very handy player.

I think we should stick to the 2 mids, 1 ruck, 1 key defender formula.

Scoop
Club Player

SaintBot wrote:

9, 42 (?), 68 (?)

We will be taking 4 picks.

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Scoop wrote:
SaintBot wrote:

9, 42 (?), 68 (?)

We will be taking 4 picks.
Scoop

Any idea of the drafting methodology of Peake as well as how the football department will instruct them?

I.E. will we be taking best available at pick 9 or best midfielder or key defender? best ruckman left at 42? that sort of thing...

The Saints are coming!
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Any thoughts on Arrowsmith(?), the kid who played a blinder in this year's TAC GF?

Has his stocks risen so much that he'll be long gone by Pick 42?

I just have a feeling that ratings of this year's kids will be all over the place once the Top 10 are out of the way, meaning some gold (nuggets) may make their way through to much later picks.

Apologies to Stinger, did not see thread you just started. Please disregard.

Boppa
Club Player

Daniel Rich (Wing/RR)
I dont think Rich can be taken this year, i'm pretty sure he is too young. Looking like a definite top 10 next season though

Like it or not Boppa speaks the truth
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I like the selections put up by WinnersOnly, except I would go for Petrenko as a rover in the last batch.