LIST ANALYSIS AND DRAFT OPTIONS

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

DK27
Club Player

LIST ANALYSIS AND DRAFT OPTIONS

It will be very interesting to see what StKilda do this trade period and in the draft. If you look at the team going forward, the list is very thin at the moment.
We have 3 older players, Harvey 37 next year, Hudghton 32 and Gardiner 29. I have put Gardy in the older group because like all older players, we can not guarantee they will play a season out. So here is a team of 28 and under players who all should play through to 2010 season.
All ages are players age next year.

24 L.Fisher 26 S.Fisher 24 Gram
22 Gilbert 24Maguire 23 R.Clarke
27 Fiora 28 Hayes 25 Montagna
23 Goddard 26 Riewoldt 24 Ball
25 X.Clarke 25 Brooks 28Milne

26 Koschitzke 24 DalSanto 28 Baker

The rest.
27 Blake
27 Rix
25 Birss
24 C.Jones
24 Ferguson
23 Watts
22 Attard
22 McQualter
22 Gwilt
21 Howard
20 Eddy®
20 Allen
20 VanRheenan®
20 Armitage
20 Geary®

This team is OK but we need to find 5 or 6 regular players to compete for a premiership. We could get 2 or 3 from developing players here already. The rest we need to find by trade or drafting.

I feel Watts and Brooks would play better at Telstra Dome as without wind they should be able to take a few marks inside 50 for shots on goal. They have been playing out at Cranbourne which is very open and windy and often wet which is really hard for marking forwards. Very hard for big guys to show their best. At this time I would opt for Brooks as he is a bit quicker and a better shot on goal than Watts. Watts has better second efforts but shanks a few kicks and is pretty slow, slower than Brooks.

Fullback is a problem. S.Fisher is needed as a running half back so it is hoped that Gilbert can take fullback after a summer in the gym.

Ruck is an issue too. Kossie if freed up to play forward would cause opposition teams big problems. It makes us more versatile too as he can ruck, go forward or back. We need a ruck desperately to balance the team.

Apart from these positions, all we need is midfielders. All must have good kicking skills to hit targets, can run, be disciplined, to tackle and chase to achieve team goals.

Of the rest, Blake, Rix, Birss, C.Jones and Ferguson all have pretty serious faults in their games and at 23+ are not likely to solve them. In my opinion they are not going to win StKilda a premiership. Emergency back up players only. Attard could be a regular player again after he gets over his knee and works on his kicking skills.

McQualter and Armitage have looked injured so I am hoping they can get fit and play a role in 2008. If they have not been injured (OP) then why would you recruit players without the running ability to play AFL football? McQualter’s last chance.

Gwilt has flaws in his game too but as he is a bit younger and didn’t go through the TAC system deserves some slack as he has improved and could still improve more to be a regular senior player.

Howard, Eddy, Allen, VanRheenan and Geary are the hope for the future. Eddy is a bit slow with average foot skills but is hard at it and could improve. Howard and Geary are the two who have all the tools to make great AFL players. This summer in the gym should give both AFL ready bodies. VanRheenan is a project ruckman. Has not yet shown much, but you never know. Allen is the interesting one. Key position size with good skills (except goal kicking) and football smarts. Not quick enough to solve the fullback problem but could play as a 3rd tall forward or even take the full forward role from Watts or Brooks. Could find himself without a role at AFL level. He slipped in the draft for a reason.

After all that it is obvious we need a ruck or two as a priority. A tall mobile player who could take full back in the future and midfielders who can run. The core team is good but to win it we need to fill our gaps and keep all on the field.

Possible recruits in the draft.

PICK 9.
No available ruck is worth this pick. Maybe Ben McEvoy. At 199cm is not tall enough for AFL with new centre square rule but is good around the ground and is a good kick with good endurance.
Talls-
Alex Rance 194cm running fullback with good skills.
Steve Gaertner 196cm amazing athlete whose skills need to improve.
Dave Gourdis 193cm CHF who is really quick and a good shot on goal.
Mids-
Brad Ebert 187cm inside mid with leadership
David Myers 190cm very athletic, can run with good skills. Leadership.
Cyril Rioli 178cm midfield/forward pocket good balance, clean hands, kicks goals
Callan Ward 186cm hard at it mid with good skills. Goes forward and kicks goals
Chris Masten 180cm Sam Mitchell type inside mid. Not super quick but gets huge amount of ball and makes teammates look good. Not my type of player but may slip to pick 9.
Apart from Masten, all can run and all can kick well. What we need.

Second or third pick should still have a good project ruck available as there are quite a few.

Later round mids-
Patrick Dangerfield 188cm, plays tough, wins hard ball, good skills.
Paddy McGinnity 182cm disciplined tagger with pace and skills.
Andy Otten 192cm can play anywhere. Good athlete with skills.
Daniel Noy 188cm tall wingman, good pace and long accurate kick.

In summary. Picks must be mobile….No plodders….Good to great kicking skills….Team players….No whimps….

GO SAINTS.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Great analysis mate. One of the better posts I have read.

I'm not as worried about our key defensive stocks. People tend to pigeon-hole players as a full-back/CHB etc.

I think that between S. Fisher, Gilbert and Maguire, we have sufficient tall options to cover any opposition team. Those three are better than Sydney's three tall backs (Barry, L R-T and C.Bolton) who won them a flag.

The ruck is an issue, and in the case of our current list VanRheenen is the big hope. If he comes good then it will be a massive bonus for us. If not, then we may find ourselves needing to trade in a couple of years time, unless we go for another Rix-type.

Agree with your analysis of many of our fringe players. I think you are a bit harsh on Jarryd Allen - he is fairly athletic and mobile for a big guy, and certainly has the height and marking ability to hold down full-forward for us. Started off at CHB in the U/18's in '06, then went to the ruck and then switched to CHF. Had a BOG in each position.
I would like to see him trialled next year alongside Rooey and Kosi. Reckon he might impress.

Also disagree re: Eddy's kicking skills. He's no Brendon Goddard, but they are no worse than Lenny's.

Midfielders are our key. Whilst our starting 6 are still quite good, our depth is poor, and would be close to the worst midfield depth in the AFL. This is an area that needs to be seriously addressed. IMO you can win flags in the AFL now with good KPP's and top midfields. Not the other way around.

I hope we draft a midfielder with pick #9 and pick #26.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i only dissagree with your comment on masten he may not be flashy fast but he by no means slow hes a bit like dal in the fact he can look like hes not moving fast but the opersition cant catch him hes also one of the more feirse tacklers loves to get in the thick of it and win the hard ball if hes still around a 9 we would be mad to pass on him as he is a AFL ready player now and could step up round one and make an impact

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

As I have posted elsewhere, Ben McEvoy played full forward in the TAC Cup Grand Final as was soundly beaten by Travis DULIC, who received a late invitation to the State Screening. Dulic is 192cm and 90cm. Described as "Big solid kid who is a bit of an old style FB. Defence very good. Pace is OK and is a decent long kick."
May be worth a late pick, witha view to replacing Max.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

What has that Griffin guy in the WAFL been up to this year? I remember saying we should draft him as a mature age rookie, or with our last national draft pick.

He'd be getting on in age now though, but if he put in another top year in the WAFL he could be worth a punt.

BallBanger
Club Player

Re: LIST ANALYSIS AND DRAFT OPTIONS

[quote="DK27"]
Of the rest, Blake, Rix, Birss, C.Jones and Ferguson all have pretty serious faults in their games and at 23+ are not likely to solve them. In my opinion they are not going to win StKilda a premiership. Emergency back up players only. [quote]
Blake rix and Birss faults are obvious but Ferguson (pre draft quoted by K.Sheehan "if he was a bit taller would go in 1st round") in his 1st cupla yrs had all the tools...pace/coolUnderPressure/logishKick/hardAtTheBall. Is it only injuries or has he lost his ability?

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

DK27 wrote:Allen is the interesting one. Key position size with good skills (except goal kicking) and football smarts. Not quick enough to solve the fullback problem but could play as a 3rd tall forward or even take the full forward role from Watts or Brooks. Could find himself without a role at AFL level. He slipped in the draft for a reason.
The only reason he slipped in the draft was due to the question mark over his ball work at below knee level. A position, he could always find, obviously wont be rover though.

Will bet my left nut he will be a key in our side by 2010

Nick_Dal_Santo = ChAmPiOn
Club Player

DK27 wrote:
24 L.Fisher 26 S.Fisher 24 Gram
22 Gilbert 24Maguire 23 R.Clarke
27 Fiora 28 Hayes 25 Montagna
23 Goddard 26 Riewoldt 24 Ball
25 X.Clarke 25 Brooks 28Milne

26 Koschitzke 24 DalSanto 28 Baker

The rest.
27 Blake
27 Rix
25 Birss
24 C.Jones
24 Ferguson
23 Watts
22 Attard
22 McQualter
22 Gwilt
21 Howard
20 Eddy®
20 Allen
20 VanRheenan®
20 Armitage
20 Geary®
great post....but i would love to see fev take up FF for us ...

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

SaintBot wrote: Will bet my left nut he will be a key in our side by 2010
:shock:

There goes Father's Day :wink:

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.