no conviction for fraser....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stinger
Saintsational Legend

no conviction for fraser....

Gehrig avoids conviction over pub melee

Reko Rennie
October 4, 2007 - 12:17PM

Former St Kilda star Fraser Gehrig has been ordered to work with a drug brain injury group after avoiding a criminal conviction over a brawl at a Melbourne pub.

Deputy chief magistrate Paul Smith ordered Gehrig to spend six months raising awareness of the dangers of alcohol after Gehrig admitted his involvement in a fight outside St Kilda's Prince of Wales hotel in September last year.

On Tuesday, Mr Smith ordered former Brisbane captain Michael Voss and his teammate and fellow Brownlow medallist Simon Black to undergo the same diversionary program over the incident.

Voss had struck a man in the head and Black kicked the same man in the fight.

Hawthorn's Stephen Lawrence and former Lions Craig McCrae and Craig Lambert were also involved in the grand final eve brawl. Lawrence is due to face court within the next few weeks. McCrae and Lambert have not been charged.

Gehrig faced one count each on charges of unlawful assault and common assault.

Police today withdrew the more serious charge of unlawful assault before Mr Smith granted Gehrig's application.

Mr Smith said the assault appeared to involve the partner of Jarrod Rouse, 29, of Box Hill, who was last week convicted and fined $2800 after pleading guilty to recklessly engaging in conduct that put others in danger of serious injury.

"It looks to me that the assault relates to Jacqueline Cameron. Mr Rouse's girlfriend struck Mr Gehrig and struck [him] in the back.

"[Gehrig] then pushed her to the upper body with both hands and that caused her to fall to the ground."

Gehrig's lawyer, Marita Altman, told Mr Smith her client had instinctively pushed Ms Cameron after being assaulted from behind.

"He shouldn't have pushed her at all," Mr Smith said. He then asked Gehrig whether he took responsibility for the assault on Ms Cameron, to which Gehrig replied: "Yes".

Mr Smith explained the diversion process to the court, saying it was a program that took matters out of the criminal stream, meaning a criminal conviction would not be recorded against the defendant, and was reserved for first-time offenders.

In granting Gehrig's application, Mr Smith said two significant things in the case had changed.

"The first is Mr Gehrig faces a charge of common assault and a second, his codefendants [Voss and Black], who both played a greater role in the melee, have both been diverted."

Given that Voss and Black played a greater role, it would be unfair to impose a harsher penalty on Gehrig, Mr Smith said.

He described Gehrig as "a man of good character" and the assault as "a push only".

"The push occurred only after Miss Cameron struck Mr Gehrig on the back."

There was obviously a mismatch in physical size between Gehrig and Miss Cameron, he said.

Mr Smith said Ms Cameron had written a letter to the court opposing Gehrig's application for diversion.

"In the letter, Ms Cameron said she suffered anxiety and stress from the incident, and I accept that."

Alcohol consumption contributed directly to the assault, he said. "It was all related to alcohol and drinking too much." Mr Smith granted Gehrig's application to spending six months working with arbias (Acquired Brain Injury Assessment and Consulting), raising awareness about the dangers of alcohol, as his penalty.

The matter would be discharged within six months if Gehrig successfully completed the diversion program.

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Re: no conviction for fraser....

stinger wrote:Hawthorn's Stephen Lawrence and former Lions Craig McCrae and Craig Lambert were also involved in the grand final eve brawl. Lawrence is due to face court within the next few weeks. McCrae and Lambert have not been charged.
last time i checked he was a former stkilda and brisbane player

stinger
Saintsational Legend

SaintBot wrote:
stinger wrote:Hawthorn's Stephen Lawrence and former Lions Craig McCrae and Craig Lambert were also involved in the grand final eve brawl. Lawrence is due to face court within the next few weeks. McCrae and Lambert have not been charged.

now i might just see if the other mr steve lawrence wants some legal advise on suing a newspaper.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
snoopygirl
SS Life Member

Was "Ms. Cameron" charged with assault given that she attacked Fraser first?

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
SaintBot wrote:

now i might just see if the other mr steve lawrence wants some legal advise on suing a newspaper.....
IIRC THAT Steve Lawrence sought his guidance from a higher power??

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
markinUSA
SS Life Member

I am glad that Fraser did not receive a conviction - I didn't actually think he should have even been charged, personally.

But, on an incidental note, I met the people from the Alcohol-Related Brain Injury group in Melbourne, and they were FANTASTIC and they do great prevention and education work... they actually lead the world in a lot of ways, with their strong connections to alcohol and substance abuse organizations, and individuals in recovery programs. Most brain injury groups ignore the issue of alcohol related brain injury because it is so stigmatized.

I think these footballers will be a great benefit for these organizations. So good luck to them in this community work.

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
Winmarvellous
Club Player

Why is it when a woman assaults a man, they get off scott free. They're just as dangerous with a knife as any other (not in this instance), and should be treated accordingly. Women's lib works both ways.

snoopygirl
SS Life Member

Hence my question above Winmarvellous. Don't see why she has escaped punishment when she instigated the attack on Fraser.