Sporting Biographies

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Sporting Biographies

I am currently collecting sporting (auto)biographies, mainly AFL ones.

Iv been searching for some more good ones for a little time now but to make my job easier does anyone have any sporting biographies which are worth digging for?

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Saturday Afternoon Fever (Matthew Hardy) ... not quite a sporting biography, but a ripping good read.

John Bertrand's book is sensational too (America's Cup winning skipper).

Also the Perfect Mile by Neal Bascomb is a great read (about the first men to break four minutes for the mile).

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
Saints43
Club Player

One of the best sporting books ever is "The Glory Game" by Hunter Davies.
Follows Spurs :evil: for one season in the early '70s. Not really a biography though.

A good auto-biography (soccer) is Left Foot Forward by Garry Nelson.

Both on ebay...

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i read "real footballers dont cry" by harry madden not a bad read with some funny parts

have also read "waltsing Matera" by peter martera - pretty s*** read basically a west coast propaganda rag about how great they were in the early 90's

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Beej
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:One of the best sporting books ever is "The Glory Game" by Hunter Davies.
Follows Spurs :evil: for one season in the early '70s. Not really a biography though.
Amazing book. Regarded as the best book on the game ever written.

Hunter Davies is still probably the only author to ever be allowed into the inner sanctum of a football club and he upset a lot of people at Spurs with how viciously candid he was. He pulled no punches and definitely wasn't trying to make friends.

Would love to read something similar about the Saints or any AFL club for that matter but it won't happen. Club's are very guarded with what goes on when the cameras aren't around and fair enough too. For that reason The Glory Game is the only book of its kind and it is an incredible insight.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

I've also read Alex Ferguson's autobiography called "Managing My Life" and also Roy Keane's. Both fascinating.

You'd have to be a fan of the game to enjoy those two though.