Captaincy

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Langi
Club Player

Captaincy

Away from politics for just a minute, it is interesting to note the last four sides left in the premiership race are all clubs with one captain amongst a leadership group.

I believe it is now time for us to revert back to a single captain, if you elect a strong leader, this leader brings more to the table than just tossing a coin, look at how geelong have become harder and more physical under Tom Harley.

I strongly believe our side of 2004 under Lenny was the most aggressive, hard at it saints side i've seen for quite a long time and I urge the club to seriously look at giving Lenny the job one out for as long as he wants it, I don't mean this to be any criticism of rooey or bally but I think at this stage Lenny is a bit more seasoned and is not backward in coming forward in defending anyone and any cause of the red white and black ala the chris connelly confrontation.

We need to restructure a few things off field yes but this is a major must imho for us to have one hard, experienced ,respected leader and it must be Lenny Hayes.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Re: Captaincy

Langi wrote:Away from politics for just a minute, it is interesting to note the last four sides left in the premiership race are all clubs with one captain amongst a leadership group.

I believe it is now time for us to revert back to a single captain, if you elect a strong leader, this leader brings more to the table than just tossing a coin, look at how geelong have become harder and more physical under Tom Harley.

I strongly believe our side of 2004 under Lenny was the most aggressive, hard at it saints side i've seen for quite a long time and I urge the club to seriously look at giving Lenny the job one out for as long as he wants it, I don't mean this to be any criticism of rooey or bally but I think at this stage Lenny is a bit more seasoned and is not backward in coming forward in defending anyone and any cause of the red white and black ala the chris connelly confrontation.

We need to restructure a few things off field yes but this is a major must imho for us to have one hard, experienced ,respected leader and it must be Lenny Hayes.
No arguement from me on this post !!

snoopygirl
SS Life Member

Gets the thumbs up from me too.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Re: Captaincy

Geelongs rise had nothing to do with Harley being captain he missed half the season for starters.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Agree with the OP.

Lenny is the best choice for Captain.

buzfromgronggrong

Nup - Our leader picks himself.

At the start of the year I was all for Lenny too but I've come around.

Lenny is great no doubt about it and should be vice capt. BUT we have a guy who is well on track to be the greatest the club has produced.

It doesnt matter if we are winning or losing this guy stands up...and lets face it - he's friggin amazing - a joy to watch - a privilage.

and how much has he knocked back to remain a Saint?

You talk of courage - this guy has it by the bucketload - and some!

And as great as he is - he's undervalued - particulaly by his own supporters.

He aint no Buddy flash in the pan either - the comparisons are a joke - 3 time b&f, 3 time all australian and still only in his mid twenties.

Buddy - pfffftttt!!!

Nick Riewoldt is still improving for gawd sake!

The answer is simple - Nick for Capt.

Lenny for vice Capt.

An awesome combination!

Saints for premiers 2008, 2009. 2010!!

Unforgiven
SS Life Member

Lenny, the most natural leader at the club

Carpe Diem
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Agree with buzz

Riewoldt matured this year.

He is our natural captain.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

This is hard because if we do decide to go with one captain next year it could upset the two that are demoted, how would you feel if you were Riewoldt and you lost your captaincy 2 months after signing up for half of what you could be worth elsewhere?

Having said that I believe the Riewoldt was one of our most improved players this year (I know it's hard to believe) but if we could use him better next year a brownlow is not out of the question, I wouldn't be disappointed if we had Roo as our captain with Ball and Lenny as our vice captains and with Kosi and Goddard to round out the leadership group.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

i think Harvey should be our captain
hes played something like 359 or 360 games, and still is our best player.

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

It's now impossible to suggest anything other than having Riewoldt as captain.

He thrives on responsibility. Some do - like Hamill, Carey and Buckley, whilst others don't - Harvey, Maxfield and King spring to mind.

Riewoldt loves being the face of the club and he wants to be one others look up too. I want him to take ownership of this club the same way Carey did with North Melbourne.

Now is definitely the right time. Hayes is a great player but probably too quiet for a captain, whilst Ball needs absolutely no distraction from getting his groin 100% for 2008.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

i_luv_nick_riewoldt
SS Life Member

My vote has to be for Lenny!

ALthough i have no resistance if we reverted back to harvs or riewoldt!

However, i think the lone standing captain is the best option!!!

Go saints in '09!
Jakes
Club Player

Agree with the above

I too was a adamant Lenny fan for the captaincy, with Bally actually running 2nd (Despite the fact Riewoldt is my fav player)

But having seen Roo's leadership this year (taking nothing away from Lenny or Ball's respective leadership performances) - Its clear he should be our captain for many years to come

midas_touch
Club Player

Lenny should be our standalone captain imo. Riewoldt and Ball are both very good leaders in their own right, but Lenny is a born leader.

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
my les foote
Club Player

I would still have Lenny. He does not have the talent of Roo but he bleeds for the club.

But if Chris Judd wanted to be captain, that would be OK too.

Win it for HIM!
casey scorp
Club Player

We have had a most unfortunate situation with having used the concept of rotating captains.

The scenario should have been:

* Hamill was right at the time
* Lenny should have taken over from him a couple of years ago and still be doing it in 2008
* then Nick should do it for the next 4-5 years after that.

I think a single stable captain is the go. Given that the rotating captain concept has stuffed up natural transitions between capatins each with on-goingness about their appointments, I'd now go for Nick and leave him in the role for the next 5 years (everything else being equal).

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

at the start of the year i would have said Lenny hands down, but now Roo has made it a very difficult decision...

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Hayes had way too much on his plate with the pressure of coming back from his knee injury to be burdened with the Captaincy. I agree with the decision at the time though. I also believe that Hayes should be given the gig in 2008, and there it shall stay until he retires.