Lyon reporting to a footy sub committee????

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Lyon reporting to a footy sub committee????

Im not sure how this would go and Id like to know what Lyon thinks about this.

Thompson? Burke? and a QC having direct impact/involvement on the just appointed senior coach whose trying (with little help with all this rubbish) to correct major problems in injury area/player development.

I think Sheldon should go if the reports are true and Robert Shaw would be nice..........but adding some middle layer sub committee leaves me cold.......you can certainly see the situation arising where Lyon and this group are going to be at logger heads - then what?

Does Bomber Thompson, Malthouse, Williams et al report into some sub committee that potentially has a player on it he coached last year...and who some said he didnt get on with that great???????

To me disharmony is the greatest enemy of Premiership success...and this "model" has me nervous....

“Yeah….nah””
JeffDunne

Im not sure how this would go
Aint that the truth.

You clearly don't understand the role of this committee if you think Lyon will be answerable to it. He will be no more answerable to it than the sub-committee already in place headed by 'Rossy' Smith.

Another of the contradictions peddled by our prez, he doesn't believe in football sub-committees even though he's created them almost annually.

Almost as funny as his quote in today's Age : "There are a lot of rumours in footy. The best advice I ever got was don't listen to them and don't peddle them." :roll:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:
Aint that the truth.

You clearly don't understand the role of this committee if you think Lyon will be answerable to it. He will be no more answerable to it than the sub-committee already in place headed by 'Rossy' Smith.

Another of the contradictions peddled by our prez, he doesn't believe in football sub-committees even though he's created them almost annually.

Almost as funny as his quote in today's Age : "There are a lot of rumours in footy. The best advice I ever got was don't listen to them and don't peddle them." :roll:

A football sub committee is completely different to injury sub committee. For one has the backing of the coach and works with the fitness staff which the coach has basically no role at all. The other would work with coach even though the coach already has his own sub commmittee them being the assistants that he selected. He didnt have any role selecting the coach sub committee or even saying he wants it. It is just thrust on him so I would it is completely different.

JeffDunne

Nonsense.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:Nonsense.
Excellent response.

4theluvoftheclub
Club Player

the 6 year footy subcommitte of Butters , kellet and Casey seem to have controlled the footy dept very actively for years. ...killed off GT when he stood up to them,appointed sheldon ( mate and employee of Glen casey at Nylex)without it seems any process of looking at all candidates .

Andrew T said on MMM on Friday night and Burkey on footy show ,that the whole idea of the subcommittee is to support Ross Lyon and represent his depatment at Board level. To say Ross will report to them is the complete opposite of what AT and Burkey said,and I would believe them. (and the explanation on the SFF web site)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

4theluvoftheclub wrote:the 6 year footy subcommitte of Butters , kellet and Casey seem to have controlled the footy dept very actively for years. ...killed off GT when he stood up to them,appointed sheldon ( mate and employee of Glen casey at Nylex)without it seems any process of looking at all candidates .

Andrew T said on MMM on Friday night and Burkey on footy show ,that the whole idea of the subcommittee is to support Ross Lyon and represent his depatment at Board level. To say Ross will report to them is the complete opposite of what AT and Burkey said,and I would believe them. (and the explanation on the SFF web site)
I didnt say he would report to them I just said that they would work with him which is not required IMO. Not one other club in the AFL has a football sub committee. A few have over the years but they have never amounted to anything.

JeffDunne

plugger66 wrote:
Excellent response.
It's as comprehensive as your analysis into what's being proposed so I thought it appropriate.

The only difference between what currently exists and what is being propsed is the scope of their brief (& the scare mongering going on)

Tell me, if an injury sub-committee thinks the training methods are a large part of the problem, and the coach disagrees, are they undermining the current coach?

4theluvoftheclub
Club Player

Plugger66 , not replying to your post, ..was replying to Teflon's thread heading and opinion at top of thread...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Excellent response.
It's as comprehensive as your analysis into what's being proposed so I thought it appropriate.

The only difference between what currently exists and what is being propsed is the scope of their brief (& the scare mongering going on)

Tell me, if an injury sub-committee thinks the training methods are a large part of the problem, and the coach disagrees, are they undermining the current coach?
As I said training methods has very little to do with the coach and secondly he has agreed to this committee so I would think he will take it on board. Has he agreed to the football sub committee?

JeffDunne

Training methods have little to do with the coach? :shock:

Are you for real?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:Training methods have little to do with coach? :shock:

Are you for real?
Do you watch training. I am talking about warm ups, time on the track, warm downs, time spent on weights. These if you have any knowledge of football have nearly nothing to do with the coach. That is why you have fitness advisor. Get down to training you might then understand.

The coach does the drills, match play simulation and so on.

Give me a call and we can watch training together one day and I will explain it to you.

JeffDunne

Fair dinkum, so you stand on the terraces and watch training and now you're an expert? Seriously.

The only thing you seem to be an expert on is stating the bleeding obvious.

Since when do drills not form part of "training methods"? :roll:

FWIW, I've attended enough elite training sessions over the years, for 10 years as a participant. I have a kid involved in one atm. Tell me, how many times have you been to the AIS? Attended any sessions there Mr Expert?

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

1. We already have a football subcommittee, and have for the past 6 years.

2. Nathan Burke said on TFS that Ross Lyon would be part of the football subcommittee - not answerable to it.

Carry on ...

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:Fair dinkum, so you stand on the terraces and watch training and now you're an expert? Seriously.

The only thing you seem to be an expert on is stating the bleeding obvious.

Since when do drills not form part of "training methods"? :roll:

FWIW, I've attended enough elite training sessions over the years, for 10 years as a participant. I have a kid involved in one atm. Tell me, how many times have you been to the AIS? Attended any sessions there Mr Expert?

No never been to the AIS in my life and I am not an expert like your good self seems to be. But what I do is use common sense and Logic which you may be short of here.
You used the word training methods and I assumed you were talking about the warm ups, etc as I didnt think any injury sub committee would even slightly blame match play set ups or kicking and marking and handball drills for injuries.

JeffDunne

plugger66 wrote:You used the word training methods and I assumed you were talking about the warm ups, etc as I didnt think any injury sub committee would even slightly blame match play set ups or kicking and marking and handball drills for injuries.
If they don't then they aren't doing their job.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:
plugger66 wrote:You used the word training methods and I assumed you were talking about the warm ups, etc as I didnt think any injury sub committee would even slightly blame match play set ups or kicking and marking and handball drills for injuries.
If they don't then they aren't doing their job.
I am sick of this. This started when we were talking about the worth of a football sub committee. We are off track.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

What's wrong with Ross Lyon? Is he some sort of megalomaniac?

Is he trying to run the football side of things all by himself, without accepting any input from others who might know something?

Fancy that. Not the sort of thing we want at the Saints, oh my lordy me no. :wink:

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:What's wrong with Ross Lyon? Is he some sort of megalomaniac?

Is he trying to run the football side of things all by himself, without accepting any input from others who might know something?

Fancy that. Not the sort of thing we want at the Saints, oh my lordy me no. :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

good post. I also agree that "rossy" should be made "accountable" to someone. was obvious at times this season that he needed some experience around him.

our foward line function, in particular, needed someone with fresh ideas ... what we were doing clearly wasn't working.

interesting that burkie is on the sub-committee. wonder whether he still harbours ambitions of being a senior coach?

stinger
Saintsational Legend

4theluvoftheclub wrote:the 6 year footy subcommitte of Butters , kellet and Casey seem to have controlled the footy dept very actively for years. ...killed off GT when he stood up to them,appointed sheldon ( mate and employee of Glen casey at Nylex)without it seems any process of looking at all candidates .

well at least you listen..and are reasonable..others on here are just plugging their own agenda....

..and i agree with your slant on things on this issue...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
JeffDunne wrote:
Aint that the truth.

A football sub committee is completely different to injury sub committee. For one has the backing of the coach and works with the fitness staff which the coach has basically no role at all. The other would work with coach even though the coach already has his own sub commmittee them being the assistants that he selected. He didnt have any role selecting the coach sub committee or even saying he wants it. It is just thrust on him so I would it is completely different.
Jeff you complete flog - Ross Smith? footy sub committee? your losing it pal...have a bex son.....whatever will be will be in relation to the challenge BUT if you dont understand a thread OR the difference between a Football Sub Committee Vs an Injury Sub Committee then stay out of the topic FFS.

Its like talking to a monkey....... :roll:

“Yeah….nah””
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Its like talking to a monkey....... :roll:
There's your problem Tef, just spank it ! :wink:

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
JeffDunne

lol, we can always rely on you Teffers to raise the level of the debate.

Tell me then oh wise one, what would be the brief and the mechanics of the proposed football sub-committee?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:1. We already have a football subcommittee, and have for the past 6 years.

2. Nathan Burke said on TFS that Ross Lyon would be part of the football subcommittee - not answerable to it.

Carry on ...
Rubbish.

The "footy sub commitee" you mention above is made up of Directors from the Board and its about Lyon updating the Board on he and his assistants directions re football. Thats entirely understandable to have a senior coach report DIRECT to Board members - Sheedy did it regulalry.

Absolute nonsense and waste of money to introduce ANOTHER layer of a sub commitee thats entirely there to oversee Lyons football direction and no doubt influence it.

I'll take Ross Lyons approach to footy over Andew Thomspons 1 game out of the game approach thanks.

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:lol, we can always rely on you Teffers to raise the level of the debate.

Tell me then oh wise one, what would be the brief and the mechanics of the proposed football sub-committee?
Seriously Jeff - Ive been on here for 3 minutes and seen 3 threads where posters are telling you you have lost it or just simply dont understand whats being discussed.

IF you cant understand what Ross Smith is primarily charged with undertaking at the club Vs the role of a footy sub committee...(as Plugger has also alreday pointed out) then stop wasting the forums time and head back to Bigfooty where you belong.

Your wasting everyones time Jeff. :roll:

“Yeah….nah””