And they say tigers eat there own????

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saint Mik
Club Player

And they say tigers eat there own????

I cant beleive the way some of our supporters have turned on RB and the current board.

What the F*** has been put to us in black and white that the FF will do other than what the current board cannot do in the future.

Its so easy to come in on the back of others hard work and say we can do it better but WHY should they get the oppurtunity now after all they have said is we are going to spend money.

Hope this does not end up with us standing outside the dome with SOS cans rattling away in a few years time like after other great boards with grand plans of the past era.

I can understand why the FF should have to give ANYONE a plan on how the funds will be riased before ANYONE can make a decision on who to vote for, at the moment they have nothing yet we are voting them in already.

Are we making a profit?

Have we ever been without a major sponsor with this board.

Has the injury crisis been addressed by the current board and coaching staff.

There are other issues there BUT nothing that will not be sorted out.

Cant believe a loss to the pies and a draw with the dogs with a coach in his first year and run of bad injuries for the first half of the year can cause so much crap if we got those two results we would be in the finals once again and this would not be an issue.

Every one is getting sucked in at the moment take a breath and let the dust settle we have a board that has got the runs on the board and we have a ticket that is using the media and some pretty ordinary ways of getting the supporters on side IMO.

I want to see a bit more from FF before i start to abuse and accuse ANYONE.

Drugs, drinking, spending, sponsors ect what a load of crap show me something to vote for :roll:

Forget the past, Saints footy, One better in 2010
aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 23 Jun 2009 5:56am, edited 2 times in total.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Well so far you would have to say the FF group has been cunning in putting 2 ex players onto their ticket.....as most pro-FF posts are along the lines of well if it is good enough for NB and AT it is good enough for me...

Interesting that NB said that he was the last person on the ticket....and was most likely invited just for this reason.

Lets hope than that at least NB and AT have seen the detail and solutions that we are yet to.....as currently it would seem that we are to get a new Board on the basis of their popularity/credibilty.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
savatage
SS Life Member

Turning?

Aren't people having their say as they're entitled?

Talk about being overly sensitive.

aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Not cunning - sensible.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Re: And they say tigers eat there own????

aussierules0k wrote:
Saint Mik wrote:I cant beleive the way some of our supporters have turned on RB and the current board.
I can. Mate it's been coming for a long time.

RB's gone, time to move on.
wish the same would apply to GT

suppose with RB gone

finally may allow for RB/GT era to be confined to the history books.

saint4life
Saint Mik
Club Player

Move onto what, some past players with a trucking guru with a smile on their faces and a fancy tie!!!

I will move on IF its in the best intrest of the club but i will not be making a decision until i get a bit more than SPEND SPEND SPEND and all will be fixed and the flag is ours :roll:

Brewer
Club Player

quote="Saint Mik"
What the F*** has been put to us in black and white that the FF will do other than what the current board cannot do in the future.

What has the current board put to us in black and white that they will do?

I can understand why the FF should have to give ANYONE a plan on how the funds will be riased before ANYONE can make a decision on who to vote for, at the moment they have nothing yet we are voting them in already.
Nobody's voting yet, but it's clear there's a lot of dissatisfaction with the current mob.

Are we making a profit?
Yes. Is that enough?

Have we ever been without a major sponsor with this board.
You mean, like now?

Has the injury crisis been addressed by the current board and coaching staff.
Why did we have an injury crisis?

There are other issues there BUT nothing that will not be sorted out.
That's very confident of you. Why exactly?

Cant believe a loss to the pies and a draw with the dogs with a coach in his first year and run of bad injuries for the first half of the year can cause so much crap if we got those two results we would be in the finals once again and this would not be an issue.
But we didn't get those results, and we did have those injuries.

Every one is getting sucked in at the moment take a breath and let the dust settle we have a board that has got the runs on the board and we have a ticket that is using the media and some pretty ordinary ways of getting the supporters on side IMO.
I think the current board has enough problems, and the new ticket has enough credibility, that you'd be mad not to give them an audience.

I want to see a bit more from FF before i start to abuse and accuse ANYONE.

I think we all want to see more from BOTH FF and the incumbents.

Drugs, drinking, spending, sponsors ect what a load of crap show me something to vote for
You have to vote one way or the other - why vote for RB? Remember, it's not about rewarding good behaviour, it's about the future of the club.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
Saint Mik
Club Player

Brewer without RB this club would not of had a future he has done alot so dont have a short memory

This current board WILL always get the best possible sponsor for the club as it has done in the past whats the problem it is a long way from the 08 season.

The injuries is not just RB problem he should not be taking the blame for this on his own. Past mangement in ALL areas have ALOT to answer for not just the Prez.

So now the results of games also fall on the Prez :roll:

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

The challenge has been coming for a long time.
The current board signed its own death sentence 366 days ago, and the possibility of a pardon was snuffed out when the Crows beat the Pies.

There is an old saying in the IT world: "no corporate manager ever got sacked for buying IBM". For those who aren't familiar with it, it means - in short - that, while IBM isn't perfect, it was the market leader for a long time and is there is safety in numbers. A newer, less well known IT provider might well give you a better product for fewer $$$: but, if it doesn't work as expected, your boss (or the board of directors or whoever) will want your head on a plate. Whereas, if an IBM product doesn't work, they will blame IBM and not you.

The same sort of principle applies with selecting coaches to run football clubs. The equivalent to "buying IBM" is to go with a coach who has a good record of taking teams to the finals or even to win a GF. If you have one already, then keep him. If you want to change coach, poach a proven winner from another club (eg, Lions with Mathews, Carlton with Pagan, even Bulldogs with Eade).

If you do feel that you have no choice but to sack your coach, consider promoting his most senior assistant (Paul Roos at the Swans, Neil Craig at the Crows).

What you don't ever do is to go effectively to an open tender and allow external consultants to come up with some sort of left field candidate that nobody has thought of and take them. The consultants will inevitably tell you to do something like this, because who is going to want to pay someone thousands of dollars per day to tell them that their best option is to go after a Leigh Mathews or Mark Williams or to promote a Matt Rendell? It's too obvious: they could have thought of it themselves. It'd be like paying a consultant to tell you to buy IBM.

Anyway, RB and his merry gang broke all of these rules. They sacked a coach who had made the finals for three years in a row. They didn't go for an orderly succession to Rendell, but went for a left field candidate recommended by consultants. RB then did an extremely poor job in selling the decision to the media and members.

So, their only hope for a reprieve was for Lyon to coach us to the finals in 2007. Things looked promising at first: we had a very good draw and some of our rivals of recent seasons - the Swans, WCE, Bulldogs - were having bad years (even Geelong started badly, although you wouldn't remember this now).

But, blow me down, they had gone and sacked not only GT but everyone else with any corporate memory. And they brought in a coach who wanted to coach a physically and technically demanding style of game that takes a long time to master (and is arguably not best practice anyway: there are no signs of Geelong, Port or the WCE playing this way). And, on top of this, we had an even worse run with injuries than ever before.

So, surprise, surprise, we didn't make the 8. And, surprise, surprise, there's a major challenge to RB. And what does he have to say in his defence? 2007 was a good season for us.

The current board didn't buy IBM, and the system they did buy didn't work. Quite rightly, nobody wants to blame Ross Lyon for our failure to make the 8, so who are they going to blame?

Gawwwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!
Last edited by meher baba on Thu 13 Sep 2007 2:09pm, edited 3 times in total.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Brewer
Club Player

I'm not saying RB hasn't done a brilliant job. The club is debt free and that's a good thing, but I want on-field success too and that seems to be lacking.

Again, past success in clearing debt does not mean future success on the field. In fact, there's evidence to suggest that the current board don't quite 'get it' on the field.

This current board WILL always get the best possible sponsor for the club as it has done in the past whats the problem it is a long way from the 08 season.

They shouldn't have to chase new sponsors every season. Allowing Vodafone to sign, unaware that Ball was contracted to Telstra, is a huge embrassment and corporate incompetence.

The injuries is not just RB problem he should not be taking the blame for this on his own. Past mangement in ALL areas have ALOT to answer for not just the Prez.

This mob have had a long time to get their sh*t together, and if management in 'ALL' areas has a lot to answrer for then the president needs to be held responsible.
Last edited by Brewer on Thu 13 Sep 2007 2:09pm, edited 1 time in total.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Credit where it's due - RB's made some fairly cunning and effective financial and administrative decisions. Necessary ones too, given the club's state at the time of his appointment. But business administration is his only trick, and his personal issues have been a drain on the club all year (and remember if he goes, so too the ghost of GT is put to rest).

Now is the time for 100% commitment to the club's on-field position. We have a good list. I'm impressed by Lyon, and he has the player's ears. Injuries have been a bugbear for 3 years, but those injurioes have seen some good B-graders stand up. Fisher has become an premier defender. Gram has lifted. Gwilt, Jones, Birrs, Attard and their ilk have had game time they otherwise wouldn't have got and have shown a bit and that helps our depth We have a strong platform not just for interim flashes of happiness, but long term success if we place the emphasis on what goes on during the game.

Time to consolidate all the positives, supplement them with better support and management of the player's bodies, and put it together for 22 rounds. Thommo and Burke have been there done that. They will have valuable insights into how things can get done to take the team to a new level of performance.

I, for one, am extremely excited by the prospect of a new era, one that will see the club in the headlines for the right reasons and NOT because Kosi's out again and/or GT and RB are catfighting like a couple of bitter old chooks.

Bring it on.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

well its interesting that some are in the RB camp, some are in the SFF camp, most are leaning one way or the other, but only a few have made up their mind as dead certs.

for SFF to win or for RB to win one of the two should happen.

1. sign david friend, 2. sign a major sponsor.

if RB or Westaway can deliver a 1.5m a year or better tier 1 sponsor they have my vote.

Or sign david friend who would have to be one of the more impressive people to slum down in linton street.

EITHER WAY i'll be getting my membership.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
JeffDunne

How on earth can you deliver a sponsor when you aren't a legal representative of the club? :?

I don't want someone coming in with their only plan to put their own money in.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:How on earth can you deliver a sponsor when you aren't a legal representative of the club? :?

I don't want someone coming in with their only plan to put their own money in.
So that rules out Dick Pratt and Bill Gates I suppose. :wink:

Seriously though, whose plan is that: ie to only put their own money in?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

St Mik..noones saying that RB hasnt been great for this Club

2000. We were rubbish. Crap list, trillions of $ in debt and we won 2 1/2 games for the year. Enter RB. yes we had some decent draft picks but back then our debt crippled everything we did. Turning the CLub around financially was a major priority and he did it. We didnt resort to selling home games to other Clubs nor to begging to the AFL. The Tasmanian deal at the time was way WAY better than what the Bulldogs, Roos and Melbourne still have to do home game-wise.

2007. We are financially stable, the foundations are solid..but we have other issues now. Everyone else in the AFL is streaming ahead of us facilities-wise. We struggle along with the lowest staff numbers in the comp and soon the worst facilities. In some respects we are the new Kangaroos. The difference now though..we dont HAVE TO BE!!!!!

Our priorities hae now shifted. We can afford good facilities and a decent staff list. Bulking up our savings account wont win us a flag..and that is where I think the current board are letting us down.

Is FFS the answer?? As many have said, at this early juncture its too early to tell, but at the very least the current board needs a big kick up the backside.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
JeffDunne

jb, my comment was in relaion to the suggestion that any challenger should have a sponsor lined up. Unless you own the company in question or have a major say in its operation, I fail to see how anyone could negotiate a sponsorship while you remained a challenger.

You might sound out potentials but you could hardly make promises based on that.
Last edited by JeffDunne on Thu 13 Sep 2007 2:46pm, edited 1 time in total.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:St Mik..noones saying that RB hasnt been great for this Club

2000. We were rubbish. Crap list, trillions of $ in debt and we won 2 1/2 games for the year. Enter RB. yes we had some decent draft picks but back then our debt crippled everything we did. Turning the CLub around financially was a major priority and he did it. We didnt resort to selling home games to other Clubs nor to begging to the AFL. The Tasmanian deal at the time was way WAY better than what the Bulldogs, Roos and Melbourne still have to do home game-wise.

2007. We are financially stable, the foundations are solid..but we have other issues now. Everyone else in the AFL is streaming ahead of us facilities-wise. We struggle along with the lowest staff numbers in the comp and soon the worst facilities. In some respects we are the new Kangaroos. The difference now though..we dont HAVE TO BE!!!!!

Our priorities hae now shifted. We can afford good facilities and a decent staff list. Bulking up our savings account wont win us a flag..and that is where I think the current board are letting us down.

Is FFS the answer?? As many have said, at this early juncture its too early to tell, but at the very least the current board needs a big kick up the backside.
Understand the sentiments Saint66au but there is a few on here who I think disagree with your first sentence.

saint4life
Saint Mik
Club Player

OK so lets look at it

We have a current board whos real problem is now gone from the club and getting less credit by the week and that is GT

They also have replaced GT with a great coaching team with a tone of credability that even the new ticket has agreed to.

A proven financial record that has put this club in the best position in its history.

A plan in place to rectify the injury problems with help from a coach that has come from a club with probably the best record for injury managment that seems to of worked for the seconed half of the season.

Why in the world do we hear reports of this board not spending money when it seems they have a plan in place and know exactly what they are going to spend in what ereas to put the onfeild success of this club in its best possible position for years because only now that we have the money to spend after so much financial planning in the past.

Seems like a knee jerk reaction to not making the finals this season but really this year was about change and restructer and i think we held our own and will only get better so why do we need a spill of the board.

Its like we dont like stability not to sure to be honest

NB and AT have had plenty of opportunity to have input into this club and i cant see why they need to form a new ticket to get the results that they want for the club.

You cannot say that this board has not got the best intrest of the club after the results they have delivered in the past, other teams have not had the success that we have enjoyed over the past few years and i really cant see where the problem is so graet that we need to spill the board.

GT's decisions cost this club and his job

RB's decisions have put us on the map and given us a great future yet this may also cost him his position.

GrumpyOne

Saint Mik wrote:
RB's decisions have put us on the map and given us a great future yet this may also cost him his position.
Do RB's decisions also cover the appointments of Malcolm Blight and Grant Thomas?

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

On the sponsorship issue ...

I doubt any corporate entity at the moment would be too keen to associate itself with a club that has RB at the helm. Achievements aside, you can't honestly say that in an era of politically correct public relations RB is a shining light. His stewardship of the public face of the club in the media gets pretty low marks. He's hardly a charsimatic sponsor magnet... All he does is portray the club as his platform of conflict... his very own personal boxing ring if you like ... EXTREMELY bad look ...

But with 'squeaky cleans' like AT and NB among the leading lights ... hmmm different story I reckon.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

aussierules0k wrote:
Saint Mik wrote:I cant beleive the way some of our supporters have turned on RB and the current board.
I can. It's been coming for a long time.
Saint Mik wrote: if we got those two results we would be in the finals once again and this would not be an issue.
Well we made the finals last year and sacked the coach.

Finals or not, RB has run his race.
yep...glad to see that you haven't entirely dropped the ball......still got your marbles..unlike some you defend.... :wink: :lol: :lol:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Saint Mik wrote:
sadly all the good work RB did has been forgotten by many due to the dramas with GT
in the end maybe if RB going will finally end the association with GT then maybe its a blessing .

sadly RB has put more ppl off side from the GT fiasco then he has got on side time will tell if this is going to be the biggest mistake we have ever made or the pivotal point in our club history

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
yipper
SS Life Member

Thinline wrote:On the sponsorship issue ...

I doubt any corporate entity at the moment would be too keen to associate itself with a club that has RB at the helm. Achievements aside, you can't honestly say that in an era of politically correct public relations RB is a shining light. His stewardship of the public face of the club in the media gets pretty low marks. He's hardly a charsimatic sponsor magnet... All he does is portray the club as his platform of conflict... his very own personal boxing ring if you like ... EXTREMELY bad look ...

But with 'squeaky cleans' like AT and NB among the leading lights ... hmmm different story I reckon.
I agree. Not sure if RB has the same clout he once had with sponsors. A new, fresh look is needed now. We are still a very marketable commodity - but we are losing sponsors and members. Why? I think we can get to that 40K membership with a re-invigorated board, and a new marketing strategy that will massively increase our revenue streams.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.