Damning evidence against our Football Dept operations

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kaos theory
Club Player

Damning evidence against our Football Dept operations

In 2006 St Kilda coaching group was the 4th highest paid of all clubs yet we had 16 less staff in our Football Department than the Swans who won the Premiership that year.

Although we were 11th in total football department spend in 2006, we had eight less staff than the Kangaroos who were the last team in total spending in the football departments and 20 less staff in our football department than the number one spending club - the Brisbane Lions.

We also had 16 and 17 less staff respectively in our footy dept than the Swans and the Eagles who played in the Grand Final in 2006. That is 16 or 17 less staff in footy than the two Grand finalists..
- from the st.kilda first website.

These are the things I have been concerned about for a long time. The current board made the right move by getting rid of that ego & money hog GT, but because of personal spats, failed to make the move sooner and more decisively. It has also lost its vision & vigor....

The new challenging board has recognized the failings and is shown a strong & professional approach to address what has been neglected for too long...

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

Those comparisons are not quite reasonable and read as spin rather than information - my guess is that the WCE and swans spend way above what we did.

A meaningful comparison would be to put up the data for all teams with their staff numbers as well

The details in football department spending (04/05 data?) in the Australian earlier this year suggested that we underspent dramatically.

there are a swag of links off this one that allude to it in a general sense - will try and find the figures somewhere.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/h ... 37951.html

kaos theory
Club Player

cowboy-18

Obviously, we cannot match WC & Syd doolar for dollar, but it doesn't negate the fact that we have overspent on a few people's salaries (namely GT), and underspent in other areas relative to the average club expenditure.

But the problem is not just expenditure, its revenue generation as well...

This group is putting forward a plan to address that, whereas the current board is floundering...

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

Fair points, it's more that I'm interested in the overall picture with football spending (coaches, players, assistants, support etc.)

No quibbles from me on the excess spent on Thomas - I am grateful for his efforts in turning this club around (I still believe he did a sensational job in making our culture one less accepting of mediocrity and excuses and one where winning was expected) but the overall package (assistants, training services, medical) was not as good as it should have been.

It's more that I think that to be successful we need to increase revenue dramatically to get up to being competitive with the big non Victorian teams I agree that's a vastly different point to the one you make.

StSteven
Club Player

Oh No. No more trips to China and South Africa!

How will our young boys become responsible men from now on?

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

kaos theory wrote:

This group is putting forward a plan to address that, whereas the current board is floundering...
Have you seen this "plan". If you have lucky you, because it seems pretty hard to get a hold of :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
kaos theory wrote:

Have you seen this "plan". If you have lucky you, because it seems pretty hard to get a hold of :roll:
concur, I raised this on the other thread.

as for expenditure, frankly more people doesn't mean better.

sydney were spending a fortune on staff and admin in the early 00's and were getting little return on value.

same with freo, they had eleventy billion staff.

more staff doesn't mean better outcomes.

on their your say bit I pretty much asked the same question on how they intend to address the issues they raise.

where to for st kilda?

honestly I dont know.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
kaos theory wrote:

concur, I raised this on the other thread.

as for expenditure, frankly more people doesn't mean better.

sydney were spending a fortune on staff and admin in the early 00's and were getting little return on value.

same with freo, they had eleventy billion staff.

more staff doesn't mean better outcomes.

on their your say bit I pretty much asked the same question on how they intend to address the issues they raise.

where to for st kilda?

honestly I dont know.
Ease up.

They only made themselves known about 30 seconds ago.

Bono
Club Player

Spending more $$ in your footy department doesnt directly add goals to the teams score.

kaos theory
Club Player

Spending more $$ in your footy department doesnt directly add goals to the teams score.
No, but it increases the likelihood of:
- picking up more/better rookies
- better selection of talent at draft, particularly at the low picks
- less injuries through better prevention systems
- quicker recovery from injury
- better development/improvement of players skill & application
- better development of tactics/game plans
- improved level of fitness, through improved programs & facilities

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

kaos theory wrote:
No, but it increases the likelihood of:
- picking up more/better rookies
- better selection of talent at draft, particularly at the low picks
- less injuries through better prevention systems
- quicker recovery from injury
- better development/improvement of players skill & application
- better development of tactics/game plans
- improved level of fitness, through improved programs & facilities
.....or somtimes it just gets a bigger house for someone in Brighton. :roll:

It is important that the money be well directed and well spent.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
kaos theory
Club Player

.....or somtimes it just gets a bigger house for someone in Brighton.

And that is exactly the point that this new board challenger makes SR. We didn't spend much on the footy dept, but what we spent was in the hands of too few people....which allowed them to build a nice big house....

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

kaos theory wrote:
.....or somtimes it just gets a bigger house for someone in Brighton.

And that is exactly the point that this new board challenger makes SR. We didn't spend much on the footy dept, but what we spent was in the hands of too few people....which allowed them to build a nice big house....
Kaos, I don't think that is what they are saying though.
They just seem to be saying we don't spend enough and compare us to spending by other Clubs.

The only mention of RB by Westaway seems to be an oblique reference to 'autocratic style'.

If they were saying we spent the money incorrectly I would be happier in what I am seeing/reading/hearing from them so far.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Magic I got the impression thats what brought this forward for a challenge, but your right they should state this as well.

kaos theory
Club Player

If they were saying we spent the money incorrectly I would be happier in what I am seeing/reading/hearing from them so far.
That's exactly what they are saying...we need to spend more, but spend it in the right way. They are showing through the stats how poorly we allocated the money, not just that fact that is was so little...

btw, my reference was not to RB, but his one-time mate...

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

kaos theory wrote:
That's exactly what they are saying...we need to spend more, but spend it in the right way. They are showing through the stats how poorly we allocated the money, not just that fact that is was so little...

btw, my reference was not to RB, but his one-time mate...
Nah, all i'm hearing is that 'we don't spend enough and look how much the others are spending'.

We have million dollar profits but we're last in this spending category and 14th in this spending category etc.

I reckon they've been very careful not to criticise where we spent it, but only how much we spent.

Maybe I'm hearing it wrong?

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote: I reckon they've been very careful not to criticise where we spent it, but only how much we spent.

I think the line in the original post quoting the bit comparing coaching spending to football department spending (4th for coaching, 11th in total football department spend in 2006) is the one suggesting we overspent on coaches and underspent on support staff.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

cowboy18 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote: I reckon they've been very careful not to criticise where we spent it, but only how much we spent.

I think the line in the original post quoting the bit comparing coaching spending to football department spending (4th for coaching, 11th in total football department spend in 2006) is the one suggesting we overspent on coaches and underspent on support staff.
Thanks Cowboy.
I guess I was relating more to whta NB and AT hve been saying on SEN, which is basically that we don't spend enough.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

What do you make of all this?
Has the current board and especially Butterss dropped the ball of late, definitely. They just seem to crash head first from one problem to another.
Are all the criticisms of the football department warranted? Yes but what is the answer, more money or better skilled staff, both...?
Is the new board challenge going to be the answer, while i trust implicitly the characters of Burke and Thompson, they have been great clubmen. But I will always remember something that Burke once said, that he did not believe in stretching prior to games or training because it lead to muscle tears...
Hope he has changed his attitude since his playing days

Seeya
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

StSteven wrote:Oh No. No more trips to China and South Africa!

How will our young boys become responsible men from now on?
:lol:

It would appear whatever we have spent....Grants been looked after...that IS a farce.

That said, this new ticket needs spell out where the money was spent and WHY it shouldnt have been spent there.........rather than compare us to West Coast.....

“Yeah….nah””