Kyle Matthews

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Kyle Matthews

Saw the casey game yesterday and the thing that really jumped out was how many second efforts this kid puts in. Also reads the ball very well and knows where the big sticks are. Similar in some ways to milne.

Rookie list?

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

And appears to have genuine pace. A bit skinny, perhaps? How old is he?

Solar
Saintsational Legend

St DAC wrote:And appears to have genuine pace. A bit skinny, perhaps? How old is he?
19? Really really skinny. Baby faced and his skills are not the best but as a clever half forward he could be developed

FQF
In richo I trust

Gilbert The Great
Club Player

Yes he is a good player. Needs some work in the gym, but he is only young. Would definitely look at putting him on the rookie list.

Port yesterday were very aware of him. Heard defenders calling out making sure he was manned up.

st.mart
SS Hall of Fame

NO - cannot kick.....makes lots of errors...

He is a midfield version of stephen milne (without the skill) does the brilliant flashy stuff, but makes silly decisions and buthcers the footy....

His defensive skills for his size are good (due to his quickness) but he gets pushed off the footy with ease.......

You notced him because he is very small and very quick.....he stands out..

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
19? Really really skinny. Baby faced and his skills are not the best but as a clever half forward he could be developed
<insert alarm bells ringing>

Solar
Saintsational Legend

st.mart wrote:NO - cannot kick.....makes lots of errors...

He is a midfield version of stephen milne (without the skill) does the brilliant flashy stuff, but makes silly decisions and buthcers the footy....

His defensive skills for his size are good (due to his quickness) but he gets pushed off the footy with ease.......

marto, anyone from the vfl worthy of a look at for a rookie spot?

FQF
In richo I trust

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
st.mart wrote:NO - cannot kick.....makes lots of errors...

marto, anyone from the vfl worthy of a look at for a rookie spot?
msg, or somebody mentioned last week i think that Stefan Garrbura (sp?) would be worth a look

details?

Unforgiven
SS Life Member

really really skinny with light hair?

Went down to only a few casey games this year, but he impressed, Did an awsome piroette against 2 mature bodied VFL players and spun them inside out to hit up I think Kosi on the lead. This was a game ages ago, when Lenny, Kosi were playing, I think Goose as well.

Carpe Diem
St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

From memory Garruba spent some time on the Swans rookie list. He was OK yesterday, kicked a couple of goals and moved pretty well, but certainly didn't look a standout IMO.

Frankly, I was a bit disappointed with the form of the Scorps yesterday, particularly the Saint listed players. Mini was quiet, the 3 rucks were beaten by Fanning, and the Scorps were killed around the packs. Even though they only lost by a couple of goals after half time they never looked likely IMO to win the game; their goals were very hard earned. Brooks would have been the best of the Saint listers, and was the best KPP for them, but he was serviceable rather than dominating.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

If a player's disosal and strength are exploited in the VFL then they will not be AFL standard. Matthews is a handy VFL player, but I'd leave it at that.

The two players who I think would be worth a look are Stefan Garrubba and Chris (?) Dunne. Garrubba has a very well rounded game and would be good to add to a midfield rotation, while Dunne really impressed me as a half forward in the intra club match. He's been injured for most of 2007 and shouldn't be rookied yet, but I'd keep an eye on him as a possible draftee in 2008.

st.mart
SS Hall of Fame

Dunne and Fraser were the stand-out kids in 06 - with a view to thier game developing - bothe trained at St.K in pre-07......were both missing something....

Garubba has pace

Matthews is 22...

SB10
Club Player

St DAC wrote:From memory Garruba spent some time on the Swans rookie list. He was OK yesterday, kicked a couple of goals and moved pretty well, but certainly didn't look a standout IMO.

Frankly, I was a bit disappointed with the form of the Scorps yesterday, particularly the Saint listed players. Mini was quiet, the 3 rucks were beaten by Fanning, and the Scorps were killed around the packs. Even though they only lost by a couple of goals after half time they never looked likely IMO to win the game; their goals were very hard earned. Brooks would have been the best of the Saint listers, and was the best KPP for them, but he was serviceable rather than dominating.
Very disappointing if Mini was quiet. Absolutely needed to shine in this game to show he's worth persevering with. I think they'll give him another year (based upon high draft pick), but must be put on notice to perform or he's out.