Why do you want to know a 'Positive's' name?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

carn_sainter
Club Player

Why do you want to know a 'Positive's' name?

With regards to Illicit Drugs in footy;

I posted this in another thread:
People need to understand that it's not a case of being caught once and then left alone...it is a zero tolerance system - caught once and there is intervention

but, the afl isn't bowing to the media and other low life gossipers by revealing the person's name...that's a good thing
and it got me thinking about what reasons people have for wanting to know whether or not any particular player has tested positive to illicit drugs...

as far as i'm concerned, it's none of my business...

but, to anybody who does think players should be named immediately, what reasons do you have?

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

your right it is non of our buissness but if the player is to be traded then the new club should be aware of the history of the player

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Halo Halo
Club Player

In all reality in is none our our business. But i think it is the pure sticky-nose factor that we want to know who it is!!

If is was the Saints (and not 'that' other Victorian team) I would be going off about privacy & Channel 7 leaking the team, but as it isnt, I really just want to know who the players are for the sticky beack factor

GrumpyOne

Absolutely no reasonable reason other than the good old Australian tradition of trying to cut down some tall poppies.

The Aussie notion of equality makes us want to try and find fault in people who succeed in areas of their life that us mere mortals suck at.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i just recived the email form the channels 7 website naming the players i wont name the players but this is what i got
According to documents obtained by Seven news, at least two and as many as seven XXXXXX Football club seinior players have been found to have been taking illegal drugs including Ecstasy , ice and cocaine . Two are belived to have tested possitive on two differant occasions and on the possitive side appear to be engaged in some form of rehabillitation at a medical facility known as #########

In an apparent breach of a supreme Court injunction obtained against them Channel 7's website names the players as including the biggest names at the club

* XXXXXXXX
* XXXXXXXX
* XXXXXXXX
* XXXXXXXX
* XXXXXXXX
* XXXXXXXX
* XXXXXXXX

We are unable to verify them but they are certainly being published on Cannel 7's site, in what appears to be an blatant contempt of court by ignoring the court order against them.
i checked the channel 7 website but couldnt find where they named the players

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Why do you want to know a 'Positive's' name?

carn_sainter wrote: but, to anybody who does think players should be named immediately, what reasons do you have?
so I know the footy players to score off.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
In an apparent breach of a supreme Court injunction obtained against them Channel 7's website names the players as including the biggest names at the club
As for "channel 7's website", as far as I know, it was a yahoo/7 Discussion board.

riccardo
Saintsational Legend

Players should be named if they are on illicit drugs because the public has a right to know who they are supporting.

I want illicit drug users who, under australian law are considered engaging in criminal acts, to be named and shamed as any member of the wider community would.

It isn't fair AFL players should be able to keep thier filthy addiction protected while the rest of the community does not.

Go Sretnias Go
Club Player

As a Club, competeing in a competition supposedly on a "level playing field", I would certainly want to know if my opposition players were competeing with drug assistance and that goes for ellicit drugs as well as performance enhancing drugs.

Once a Sainter always a Sainter.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

riccardo wrote:Players should be named if they are on illicit drugs because the public has a right to know who they are supporting.

I want illicit drug users who, under australian law are considered engaging in criminal acts, to be named and shamed as any member of the wider community would.

It isn't fair AFL players should be able to keep thier filthy addiction protected while the rest of the community does not.
thats crap
if i get on the ice and get caught my names not gunna be front page news
no one would care less so i would have my privacy

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

riccardo wrote:Players should be named if they are on illicit drugs because the public has a right to know who they are supporting.

It isnt against the law to use drugs. How is the rest of the community not protected. Unless they are caught by a drug bus they can use basically any time they like. They are more protected. When does a normal person in the street get tested. Never.

Riewoldting
SS Life Member

riccardo wrote:I want illicit drug users who, under australian law are considered engaging in criminal acts, to be named and shamed as any member of the wider community would.
But there's no evidence that they engaged in any criminal act. Bit much to "name and shame" someone as a criminal when there's not enough evidence to convict them of any criminal act.

"To be or not to be" - William Shakespeare
"To be is to do" - Immanuel Kant
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra
Halo Halo
Club Player

Cant agree with you there mate!!

They are not using these drugs during the game, or when they have football commitments & as such what they do in their own personal time should remain personal.

We live in a fairly liberal society & as such we should all be able to live our lives the way we want..

The players in question were getting treatment, so they wanted to fix there problems.. Why should we want to know every flaw the players have outside ofthe game..

I dont care what you do or how you live your life & it would be the same if you played football or not!!

Riewoldting
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:When does a normal person in the street get tested.
Under To the Top's proposed new regime, every time they step out the front door.

How's the search for the question mark key going? Found it yet? Hint: bottom right.

"To be or not to be" - William Shakespeare
"To be is to do" - Immanuel Kant
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Go Sretnias Go wrote:As a Club, competeing in a competition supposedly on a "level playing field", I would certainly want to know if my opposition players were competeing with drug assistance and that goes for ellicit drugs as well as performance enhancing drugs.
as a club i would hope our only concern is the players at our club as they are expected to be clean healthy men (hence why the clubs disscourage drinking/smoking) if the other clubs want to turn a blind eye to their players health then fine so be it but it is not our concern what other clubs do

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Riewoldting wrote:
Under To the Top's proposed new regime, every time they step out the front door.

How's the search for the question mark key going? Found it yet? Hint: bottom right.
Is that a question. Sorry I failed English.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Halo Halo wrote:

Cant agree with you there mate!!

They are not using these drugs during the game, or when they have football commitments & as such what they do in their own personal time should remain personal.

We live in a fairly liberal society & as such we should all be able to live our lives the way we want..

The players in question were getting treatment, so they wanted to fix there problems.. Why should we want to know every flaw the players have outside ofthe game..
I dont care what you do or how you live your life & it would be the same if you played football or not!!
i cant agree more

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

Riewoldting wrote:

That only works if you're shifty.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Micky Malthouse has just weighed into the debate.

He has stated that some of the Illicit drugs being taken have 'performace enhancing' effects and the current discussion about CH7 is deflecting from the rewal problem - players taking drugs.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Any other private information on players?

Who has a blood borne disease or virus?

Who has piles?

What about who has contracted an STD?

Fair Dinkum :roll: :roll: Why do football players have less right to privacy than anyone else in the community?

Some people demand their rights on this forum (and rightly so) but wont afford other the same privilege.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Any other private information on players?

Who has a blood borne disease or virus?

Who has piles?

What about who has contracted an STD?

Fair Dinkum :roll: :roll: Why do football players have less right to privacy than anyone else in the community?

Some people demand their rights on this forum (and rightly so) but wont afford other the same privilege.
players sexuallity ?
players religious belifs ??
the issue is not the drug use its the invasion of privacy
each club should be tackling the drugs issue in the way they see fit
and im sorry i dont feel that there is any point other then to create scandel in naming players who are undergoing rehab off their own backs not like benny who went to rehab cause of the media pressure but going to rehab cause they want to stop thats where i have more respect for thes guys then benny boy