Max's next contract

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Max's next contract

Jon Ralph, on Midweek Trash, thinks the Saints are working on a 9 year deal for Max King, the 2 he still has left on his current contract plus an additional 7 years at about $1.1 Mil per year. I wonder if he's on the money ?

Ralph must have been talking to someone connected to the club or Max, or he just makes stuff up, who knows if it's fact or fiction.

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
Trixilver
Club Player

Re: Max's next contract

He wouldn't be going anywhere so why is it so long? The amount of injuries he's chalked up don't demand that, let alone his output.

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

With the increases in the salary cap that could be considered cheap.

I'm not his biggest fan but would rate that deal.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

No Bloody Way

I thought stupidity and incompetence had left tbe building down at Moorabbin.

The porcelain giraffe is barely worth a four year deal based on his career to date.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

What's the rush?
Still 2 years to go on current contract and serious doubts on durability and mindset.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

How would more money ...or an 8 year contract make Max King more happy? Wouldn't he rather be the guy who is the catalyst to sacrifice personal wealth for the sake of a premiership...or at least the chance to go close to winning one

Giving a bloke a 6 or 8 year contract doesn't fit in with the idea that St Kilda want to create a team culture. It's selfish!! I'd offer him 4 and perhaps add incentives and tie potential increases to the TPP.

If he's worth $1.5 million per year in 2030 then he'll be paid that no problem. He sure as hell isn't worth that right now.

If he's as invested in St Kilda as the club is in him (and has already invested in him) then he should lead the way and help us create an environment for success.

Someone...anyone...has to do it. If he wants to endear himself to the St Kilda supporter base for eternity, I'd love for it to be Max. Come out and say "I'm doing this so we can all stay together and win our 2nd flag and possibly our 3rd and 4th'.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Seems a bit premature...

Would also be filthy to lose a player like Battle as a result of trying to pay for this deal

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Had to check the calendar to make sure date was not first of April!
Is there somebody within the club selectively leaking misinformation or have they gone totally mad?

Brunswicksainter
Club Player

If there is no uplift adjustments for increase in TTP then this is a bargain. In 5 years 1.1 million will be what 800k is now. The median contract to be raised to 520k in the next player rights deal

Brunswicksainter
Club Player

Brunswicksainter wrote: Wed 10 Jul 2024 12:04pm If there is no uplift adjustments for increase in TTP then this is a bargain. In 5 years 1.1 million will be what 800k is now. The median contract to be raised to 520k in the next player rights deal
Also assuming this would be significantly front loaded? Say 2-2.5 mill paid this year and next as we will be a long way off hitting 95% salary cap given we won’t be getting any big fish though in FA.

Sanctorum
Club Player

I tend to think that this story is to ward off approaches from the many other clubs that would love to bring Max King into their sides, especially the power house clubs like Collingwood and Geelong who are desperate to recruit a gun key forward.

Sure, Max may not have established himself as a champion at this stage of his career but I would be surprised if he fails to achieve that level next year. as the team overall should also improve and get the forward line to click!

On that basis, it makes perfect sense to extend his contract to 2030 or thereabouts sooner rather than later, and I hope they do.

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Wed 10 Jul 2024 1:05pm I tend to think that this story is to ward off approaches from the many other clubs that would love to bring Max King into their sides, especially the power house clubs like Collingwood and Geelong who are desperate to recruit a gun key forward.

Sure, Max may not have established himself as a champion at this stage of his career but I would be surprised if he fails to achieve that level next year. as the team overall should also improve and get the forward line to click!

On that basis, it makes perfect sense to extend his contract to 2030 or thereabouts sooner rather than later, and I hope they do.
Once again I reiterate, if Max King loves the club, he should accept unders from us and stay with the club that drafted you and has been supporting you on big money based on your potential

Do what McCluggage and others have done if you really have a passion for St Kilda and you truly want to help us win a premiership

B.M
Saintsational Legend

He would be an absolute priority for me.

Not sure I’d go with those terms but I’d be signing him up long term

His best footy will be 28-31 years of age

That’s 2028-2031

We want to be contending then

With Tassie coming in and getting in talent, it’s not a time to rebuild then

We must do it in the next 3 years!!!
Last edited by B.M on Wed 10 Jul 2024 4:31pm, edited 1 time in total.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Wed 10 Jul 2024 6:57am No Bloody Way

I thought stupidity and incompetence had left tbe building down at Moorabbin.

The porcelain giraffe is barely worth a four year deal based on his career to date.
:roll: :roll:

Sanctorum
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Wed 10 Jul 2024 3:40pm
Sanctorum wrote: Wed 10 Jul 2024 1:05pm I tend to think that this story is to ward off approaches from the many other clubs that would love to bring Max King into their sides, especially the power house clubs like Collingwood and Geelong who are desperate to recruit a gun key forward.

Once again I reiterate, if Max King loves the club, he should accept unders from us and stay with the club that drafted you and has been supporting you on big money based on your potential

Do what McCluggage and others have done if you really have a passion for St Kilda and you truly want to help us win a premiership
In regard to Hugh McLuggage accepting an offer to extend his contract for another 7 years, I wonder if he would have done so if Brisbane Lions was going through a list overhaul like St Kilda is right now. He has been with the Lions for 8 years and has played finals every year since 2019 so why would he want to go elsewhere?

There have been any number of A grade players in weak teams over the years that have been lured away with big offers to play for teams that are in premiership windows - and you can hardly blame them because that's the ultimate ambition for a player.

The reports bandied about in the media about the sort of money Max King is being offered are unsourced and should be taken with a grain of salt. It was reported at the time he was drafted at pick 4 in 2018 that he and his family are staunch Saints supporters and had always hoped to play for the Saints, and I'm sure he would love nothing more than to be part of the next team to bring a 2nd premiership cup back to Moorabbin.

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist