Owens. has an 11 gamer played a better game?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Owens. has an 11 gamer played a better game?

Looking at his age, his experience, the position that he played. I was wondering if some of the old time Sainters on here can recall a better game from a Saints player so early in their career and at a comparable age.
He had 27 possessions, but 19 of them were contested! For a guy playing primarily in the fwd line. He kicked 2 goals and had 7 score involvements. I've been following the Saints since 1997 (since my beloved Royboys went under) and following footy in general since the mid to late 70's. I can't think of a better game by a young Saints player 11 games into his career at 19 yrs of age. It's not the amount of possessions that Mitch got it's the impact on the game that impressed me most

Players of similar age that have had a game like that are Paul Salmon in the early 80's, maybe Rod Owen (for those with better memories of Saints players from that era) Brereton in the 82 Qualifying or semi final. Even then he kicked most of them when the game was done.

Obviously guys like gary Ablett Senior and Greg Williams had huge impact early in their careers but they were 23-24 years of age.

Can anyone top Owen's game? needless to say that if he doesn't get a Rising Star nomination this week I will be beyond staggered

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Re: Owens. has an 11 gamer played a better game?

When Ratts picked him for Round One vs Collingwood last year, I thought it was proof that daft hope had infected Moorabbin.

Well, I'm not gonna say it was a good call now, but at least I can understand a little better.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Banger9798
SS Life Member

When is the Rising Star nomination announced?

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Banger9798 wrote: Mon 10 Apr 2023 10:12am When is the Rising Star nomination announced?
LOL - you have to be patient young Padawan - the last game of the round has not been played yet

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Maybe, but wouldn’t be many… it was an enormous game from a 19yo

Nas, Owens, Windhager, Phillipou

You’d be happy if you took any of those as Top 5 draft picks

King was a top 5 pick and obviously happy with that

List is underrated

Not there yet, but 2 players away from being able to contend

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 10 Apr 2023 11:28am
Which two?

Which lines?

As has been proven in the past - you don't need to be the best team in the league - you dont have to have the best 22 on the Park

you need to be the best team on 16+ occassions in a Season and then the best team 3 or 4 times in September.

[I am happy that the next 3 occurrences of 26/9 are Tuesday/Thursday/Friday but not looking forward to the discussions in 2026 and 2027 when the GF is on my wedding anniversary]

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
happy feet
Club Player

Owers is going very well. Has a player with only 11 game’s experience played better? Not sure. I can always remember Dad talking about Big Carl’s first game when he was BOG.

Dad was a fan of The Shadow, can any older SS members recall how Carl went in his first season?

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Mon 10 Apr 2023 11:30am
Which two?

Which lines?

As has been proven in the past - you don't need to be the best team in the league - you dont have to have the best 22 on the Park

you need to be the best team on 16+ occassions in a Season and then the best team 3 or 4 times in September.

[I am happy that the next 3 occurrences of 26/9 are Tuesday/Thursday/Friday but not looking forward to the discussions in 2026 and 2027 when the GF is on my wedding anniversary]
We actually won't know where our weaknesses lie until we play the top teams. Personally I think 2nd ruck is a slight problem. I don't know how we'll compete with the height of Brisbane in our backline, although we managed fine against the Dogs. It's hard to say right now because almost everyone is playing at their potential. Ross and Crouch who have both been maligned for their speed and foot skills have both been excellent. Hill is using his speed and we have NWM to complement that as well as Sinclair. Wood provides great running capacity and strength on the wing as well as some aerial strength. Right now we seem to be very well balanced. It will be fascinating once King returns whether this improves the team or unbalances us. He would want to be prepared to do some running the big fella.

It's our running capacity that has staggered me. Even young Byrnes (who I thought was a d grade plodder) is providing terrific run.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Carl Ditterich was only 17 in 1963 when he was BOG against Melbourne playing on the great Ron Barassi. Gave him a bath too and I remember Big Carl patting Barassi on the head although Ron denied that he did when I mentioned it to him years later, A touch of dementia I believe.

Rod Owen was a St Kilda star at 16, but within a year he was an alcoholic and drug addict. Many blamed his spiral on injuries and partying.

Robert Harvey also played at 16 and we all know that he was a star.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Mon 10 Apr 2023 12:06pm Carl Ditterich was only 17 in 1963 when he was BOG against Melbourne playing on the great Ron Barassi. Gave him a bath too and I remember Big Carl patting Barassi on the head although Ron denied that he did when I mentioned it to him years later, A touch of dementia I believe.

Rod Owen was a St Kilda star at 16, but within a year he was an alcoholic and drug addict. Many blamed his spiral on injuries and partying.

Robert Harvey also played at 16 and we all know that he was a star.
Yep back then they were allowed to play a lot earlier. Can you recall a standout game by either of those boys in their first 11 games? I recall Owen kicked 8 goals for the Saints in his early days? How old was he then and how many games had he played? Banger became an all time great player of the club but I'm not sure he ever had the same impact in a match in his first 11 games??

Ditterich beating Ron Barassi as a 17 yr old kid is an incredible achievement and certainly ranks right up there in what I'm talking about.

I know Roo and Kosi both won the league Rising star award in their first years at the club, but I can't recall either of them absolutely dominating a game like Owens did. Can anyone recall how Plugger went in his first 15 games or so?

My point is, if a player can dominate a game of league football early in their career, it's generally a good pointer to the fact that they are going to be an absolute star of the game. They will struggle with consistency early but if they have that in them you know what they can produce on a consistent basis in years to come.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Mon 10 Apr 2023 11:50am
Sainter_Dad wrote: Mon 10 Apr 2023 11:30am
Which two?

Which lines?

We actually won't know where our weaknesses lie until we play the top teams. Personally I think 2nd ruck is a slight problem. I don't know how we'll compete with the height of Brisbane in our backline, although we managed fine against the Dogs. It's hard to say right now because almost everyone is playing at their potential. Ross and Crouch who have both been maligned for their speed and foot skills have both been excellent. Hill is using his speed and we have NWM to complement that as well as Sinclair. Wood provides great running capacity and strength on the wing as well as some aerial strength. Right now we seem to be very well balanced. It will be fascinating once King returns whether this improves the team or unbalances us. He would want to be prepared to do some running the big fella.

It's our running capacity that has staggered me. Even young Byrnes (who I thought was a d grade plodder) is providing terrific run.
Sustainable performance is the condition way up on the horizon, for individuals and as a team.

It will be interesting to see how some of the young and fringe perform against the Pies, The Suns didn't see Owen's perperformance coming, the Pies will be ready so can't wait to see how he handles the extra attention.

Byrnes is another who the Pies will give some attention.

I'm expecting the Pies to provide a real physical game to test the Lyon's game plan and see if it forces some of our young and fringe to stand outside the contest.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

From memory Plugger was an emerging gun from day one, but didn’t really start tearing games apart for a few seasons.

He’d kick a bag of six or seven, but it wasn’t as if he’d taken the game by the scruff of the neck.

When he turned 21 (1987 - the year he kicked his first ton) was when I first recall him really dominating and determining matches.

On Owens, I am very, very excited. For years we’ve been looking for our answer to Cripps, Dangerfield or Bont. The big-bodied midfielder who can kick goals.

I wouldn’t want to jump the gun, but Owens can be as good as, if not better, than the aforementioned.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Mon 10 Apr 2023 12:53pm From memory Plugger was an emerging gun from day one, but didn’t really start tearing games apart for a few seasons.

He’d kick a bag of six or seven, but it wasn’t as if he’d taken the game by the scruff of the neck.

When he turned 21 (1987 - the year he kicked his first ton) was when I first recall him really dominating and determining matches.

On Owens, I am very, very excited. For years we’ve been looking for our answer to Cripps, Dangerfield or Bont. The big-bodied midfielder who can kick goals.

I wouldn’t want to jump the gun, but Owens can be as good as, if not better, than the aforementioned.
That's how I remember it too. Kicking 6-7 goals wasn't considered the feat it is today. In almost every game played back in the 70's/80's someone in a game kicked 6-7 goals. Still a great effort but if it happened in todays footy it's amazing. Your view on Owens is exactly how I feel. Obviously I'm going early but it feels like an eternity that I have been excited about young players coming through at Saints. Some of the things I saw Owens do on Saturday night had me up and about. Me and my mates were going berserk as I reckon the crowd were as well. As loud as you'll hear 20k people. The only difference between you and me? I'm happy to jump the gun :D

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Better than Plugger?

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Dean Greig comes to mind, as a player I thought would be a star.
Debuted late '91, played thru '92..
Career over by 25

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Templar
Club Player

saynta wrote: Mon 10 Apr 2023 12:06pmGave him a bath too and I remember Big Carl patting Barassi on the head although Ron denied that he did when I mentioned it to him years later, A touch of dementia I believe.
Very kind. More likely selective erasure!

Not "Simon Templar". He was here first. Please change my username to Bumstead and if possible make me one of those very large sandwiches, thanks!
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Mon 10 Apr 2023 2:22pm Better than Plugger?
Sorry? I don't understand the question? Are you saying that I'm suggesting he will be better than plugger? Of course not.

Are you asking whether I think plugger played better in his first 11 games? Yes, I am pondering that amongst other players

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Templar wrote: Mon 10 Apr 2023 2:36pm
saynta wrote: Mon 10 Apr 2023 12:06pmGave him a bath too and I remember Big Carl patting Barassi on the head although Ron denied that he did when I mentioned it to him years later, A touch of dementia I believe.
Yeah, my original thoughts, but then I heard he had a touch of dementia.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Owens’ game on Saturday is right up there. Probably the best I have seen. He should only get bigger, stronger and fitter too.

https://www.saints.com.au/video/1303246 ... ward-owens

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Mon 10 Apr 2023 3:03pm
Vortex wrote: Mon 10 Apr 2023 2:22pm Better than Plugger?
Sorry? I don't understand the question? Are you saying that I'm suggesting he will be better than plugger? Of course not.

Are you asking whether I think plugger played better in his first 11 games? Yes, I am pondering that amongst other players
It's becaue I normally disagree with most of what you post but this I agree with 100%

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Mon 10 Apr 2023 3:11pm
You’re brave reminding Barassi of the incident. I doubt he would want to acknowledge an insult even if he could remember it.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Barrassi's statue outside the MCG is missing the big patting hand. Oversight I guess.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Mon 10 Apr 2023 3:49pm
saynta wrote: Mon 10 Apr 2023 3:11pm
You’re brave reminding Barassi of the incident. I doubt he would want to acknowledge an insult even if he could remember it.
NAH, I don't like the man. He once got stuck into me because I said that I wanted the Saints to win a game in Sydney against his Swans, Reckoned I wouldn't/ shouldn't begrudge them a win. I said that I would.

They/he coveted Plugger from the day he tore them apart in the last quarter at the SCG. Not forgivable from where I stand.
Last edited by saynta on Mon 10 Apr 2023 4:18pm, edited 1 time in total.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Mon 10 Apr 2023 4:01pm Barrassi's statue outside the MCG is missing the big patting hand. Oversight I guess.
:wink: :wink: :wink:

periosaint
Club Player

Dean Greig was mature age on debut. But it was a great game and we hammered Carlton.

Rob Harvey had a coming out party against Melbourne at the G in late '89. Winmar played FF and was awesome. Even Ben Ingleton played well that day.

It was before I was born, but Big Carl's debut must be the best.

Mitchito is a gun. Who was the last undersized Sainter to hold down a key forward post? I know the answer, have to go back to the 60's. Would be amazing if Owens ends up anything close to the Doc

I promised my daughter a flag before she turns 5!