Serious Questions

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Serious Questions

Why hasn’t Sinclair ever been pushed to the midfield when things aren’t working? (esp the game Clarke tagged him?)

Why wasn’t Gresham used more effectively?

Why does Dougal Howard kick in?

Why is Hill not used on the wing, the position he is a three time premiership player and club B&F?
- he only plays HB and occasionally HF

Why isn’t Hunter Clark AFL fit?

Why doesn’t Max King play higher so he can use his athleticism in space and maybe even lead occasionally?
We play him like he’s Tom Hawkins?!

Not sure there is enough flexibility or feel of the game going on

Often it takes Half Time to make a change or no change happens whatsoever?!

I think the plan and train and prepare a certain way, and are very reluctant to change what they’ve practiced… there needs to be more flexibility than that in footy

The great match day coaches see moves in during quarters and make the call - it’s up to the players to adapt - and at that level they should be good enough to do so!

Rigidity is easy for the opposition to plan against us. Again, great coaches spring a surprise most weeks and catch opposition off guard. Is that happening?

I just watched the cringeworthy uncut video
Communication with each other
FFS
Why does that take to R19 to be a focus - it should be a given!

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Serious Questions

Hunter Clark has had several disputions via injury and illness.... the rest, I wonder the same myself.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

All good questions

Not sure there are good answers

The King positioning is bizarre.

He is now AFL fit, he should be able to use those wheels

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Sinclair always looks far better and more dangerous at HB than in the midfield.

Howard has the longest kick, is usually playing on the opposing FF and isn’t that great at taking a mark, so I get the point of that.

Your other comments make sense.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
older saint
SS Life Member

B.M wrote: Fri 29 Jul 2022 7:45am Why hasn’t Sinclair ever been pushed to the midfield when things aren’t working? (esp the game Clarke tagged him?)

Why is Hill not used on the wing, the position he is a three time premiership player and club B&F?

Why doesn’t Max King play higher so he can use his athleticism in space and maybe even lead occasionally?

I think the plan and train and prepare a certain way, and are very reluctant to change what they’ve practiced… there needs to be more flexibility than that in footy

The great match day coaches see moves in during quarters and make the call - it’s up to the players to adapt - and at that level they should be good enough to do so!

Rigidity is easy for the opposition to plan against us. Again, great coaches spring a surprise most weeks and catch opposition off guard. Is that happening?

FFS
Probably should be titles Serious Questions regarding coach to be fair, as questions all dance around the common thread.

I'll play the game as best i can :

- A lot easier to play HB than on ball or wing. Often when things aren't working in middle Sinclair has been cleaning up the mess across HB. moving him in to a position not natural may not improve things and if it doesn't then the clean up guy isn't there any more. Rob Peter to pay Paul. Perhaps mids need to lift

- Good question re Howard as only kicks it long usually to come back. Pendelbury grabbed the ball v Essendon as best kick. Hill was doing it for a while. Howard to B-pocket lead and can slide across as not a good kick. Whoever is thew defensive coach in charge of kick ins needs help

- Hill - see 2021 played on wing and easily tagged. Also wingers now days need to a lot if tough selfless running and go back with the ball into the back line. Wood has done a good job of this and McKenzie before that.Hill is an outside player and his running is offensive to get the ball - that position is now from HB - Sinclair, Saad, Docherty, Brayshw etc

- Clark - significant injuries stop training regularity
- max King currently has the tank of a Mazda 2. As he develops and becomes stronger and older this will grow and he will be able to push up more . Only played about 50 games remember

- often no changes are due to faith in players and yes it can be wrong at times. By the same token it worked against Richmond and Geelong where mid qtrs games swung. It depends why we are struggling- if it is lack of effort (attituide) like the WB game you could have moved everyone and it would have made no difference.

Anyways just some answers from someone who thinks the coaches do at times need to improve but places the majority of the failures this year on the players who are not skilled enough and mentally soft at times.

Saintmike65
Club Player

Fact of the matter is Brett Ratten’s not a great coach.
A bit like Richo in that he can only go so far with a playing group.
He is a great people person but seems to lack tactical nouse.
Howard kicking in is just dumb, seems to have brain fades too often.
Hill made his reputation as a winger and should be playing there, with DMac on the other with NWM alternating.
King should definitely play further up the ground, with Membrey deeper.
Sinclair should be a midfield rotation option, even if it’s only 5 to 10 minutes a quarter.
We could also do with a change of midfield and forward line coaches, as well as a quality head of recruiting.

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Would love to see Sincs given a few games on the ball as we have HBF coming out of our BS also Hill to a HFF where he tore the hawks a new one would be at least worth a try,i totally agree with your comments it appears we are again treading water!

PADDLEPOP1000
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 29 Jul 2022 7:45am Why hasn’t Sinclair ever been pushed to the midfield when things aren’t working? (esp the game Clarke tagged him?)

FFS
Disingenuous?
In case you missed it, the plot revolves around a struggling small AFL team with serious structural flaws, team list deficiencies, huge debt and a legacy of an appalling use of its salary cap and low draft picks. The coach is a good fair dinkum if unspectacular veteran of the game and is doing what he can with what he has to work with. Meanwhile some of the assistant coaches may not be up to the job - that is a spin off reality series about tension in the coaching box on game days. The beleaguered Club Board, Management and Coaching staff are almost beside themselves moving the deck chairs and creating hope. The Media Dept. is flat out diverting the membership to consider winning is not everything as there are bigger things in life than footy and perhaps a chance to make the 8 with less than a handful of games to go is doing pretty well all things considered (i.e. revise your expectations, making the 8 for StKFC members is equivalent to Cats supporters expecting to make the GF which in turn they expect to lose, because they would not be playing Saint Kilda). Brad Hill playing everywhere and nowhere and Max not leading are running joke themes that tie the on field story to the bigger picture. The title: There's always Next Year!

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Fri 29 Jul 2022 11:08am

FFS
Disingenuous?
In case you missed it, the plot revolves around a struggling small AFL team with serious structural flaws, team list deficiencies, huge debt and a legacy of an appalling use of its salary cap and low draft picks. The coach is a good fair dinkum if unspectacular veteran of the game and is doing what he can with what he has to work with. Meanwhile some of the assistant coaches may not be up to the job - that is a spin off reality series about tension in the coaching box on game days. The beleaguered Club Board, Management and Coaching staff are almost beside themselves moving the deck chairs and creating hope. The Media Dept. is flat out diverting the membership to consider winning is not everything as there are bigger things in life than footy and perhaps a chance to make the 8 with less than a handful of games to go is doing pretty well all things considered (i.e. revise your expectations, making the 8 for StKFC members is equivalent to Cats supporters expecting to make the GF which in turn they expect to lose, because they would not be playing Saint Kilda). Brad Hill playing everywhere and nowhere and Max not leading are running joke themes that tie the on field story to the bigger picture. The title: There's always Next Year!
Or BM could of also gone with, "I don't rate coaches but...."

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Mentioned that Sinclair should move into the midfield this season but was shot down by a fair few on here.

King rotates a lot higher than most full forwards the issue is we don't have another decent acnhor forawrd when he's playing the high role.

Hunter Clarke is AFL fit no idea why people judge a persons fitness off the size of their arms.

Hill should play as the forward of center wing leaving the defensive wing role to McKenzie and Wood.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Sinclair did move into the midfield at Halftime of the Collingwood game and I though made a massive difference!

Never happened again?!

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Hunter Clark is not AFL fit

I don’t want him to get bigger arms - I would like to see some definition or muscle tone in his body
He looks like a suburban footballer

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 29 Jul 2022 4:31pm Hunter Clark is not AFL fit

I don’t want him to get bigger arms - I would like to see some definition or muscle tone in his body
He looks like a suburban footballer
Diesel Williams Sticks Kernahan Stevie Jay to name a few have that body type.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 29 Jul 2022 4:29pm Sinclair did move into the midfield at Halftime of the Collingwood game and I though made a massive difference!

Never happened again?!
Yep I said he should move in there hes done his apprentiship.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The Sinclair situation has been on the annoying side

We lack elite mids of which, Sincs could possibly make that grade.
And on top of it, we have a plethora of players that could do a serviceable job in the backline that aren’t getting a ton of game time

Seems like a no brainer

Sanctorum
Club Player

I have a single answer to all of these "Serious Questions", which is merely dressed up as another way of having a crack at Brett Ratten and his assistants.

There is not a single coach that can turn this "Sow's Skin" list of mostly mediocre players into a "Silk Purse". Low on talent, simple as that.

Bradley Hill? No matter where you play this super talented AA and 3 time premiership player, there are not anywhere near sufficient good players in the team to enable him to produce his best!

We need to face facts: until such time as the club develops its promising young talent, and that includes Max King, plus imports some first class experienced midfielders, the Saints are going to remain a mid-ladder team.

No point anyone whipping themselves up in a frenzy and getting bitter and twisted - this is the sad history of St Kilda FC over the past 144 years!

Best find another one of the other 17 teams in the comp to lift the spirits because unless one possesses a high degree of masochism, following St Kilda can be quite tortuous, soul destroying and demoralising.

But Hey!! Hope springs eternal - live long enough and maybe we'll get a chance to celebrate a second premiership - how good was 1966, still remember it as if it happened yesterday! One day the "Long Wait" will definitely be over and OMG we'll all get our "Eternal Reward", it will be truly Orgasmic, even for an ageing fool like me :lol:

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 29 Jul 2022 7:45amWhy hasn’t Sinclair ever been pushed to the midfield when things aren’t working? (esp the game Clarke tagged him?)
And who would we put at half back that gives us what Sinclair does?
A calm head, excellent ball use and a good link between defence and attack.
B.M wrote: Fri 29 Jul 2022 7:45amWhy wasn’t Gresham used more effectively?
Define "more effectively".
His first half of the season was very good. His form has followed the team's form.
B.M wrote: Fri 29 Jul 2022 7:45amWhy does Dougal Howard kick in?
He rarely takes the kick-in. There was a time when he used to, but now there are around 4-5 players that seem to rotate it.
B.M wrote: Fri 29 Jul 2022 7:45amWhy is Hill not used on the wing, the position he is a three time premiership player and club B&F?
We tried him there when he first came to us. It wasn't working. Hill has been used OK this season.
B.M wrote: Fri 29 Jul 2022 7:45amWhy isn’t Hunter Clark AFL fit?
Two decent injuries won't help. He's looked really good in the last two preseasons before he copped injuries. And his injuries aren't soft tissue ones. They're collision injuries.
B.M wrote: Fri 29 Jul 2022 7:45amWhy doesn’t Max King play higher so he can use his athleticism in space and maybe even lead occasionally?
Why doesn't Max King lead more and move around more? He stands side by side with his opponent calling for the ball. I suspect that is not how he is being coached.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Gee life long. You really scored BM poorly

You could have cut him slack and agreed on one thing 😉

B.M
Saintsational Legend

If they are the answers to those questions

No wonder we are mediocre

wally
Club Player

I'm sure there was a game more recently (maybe last 2 months) where Sinclair moved to the centre bounces and got us going and ever since have wondered why it wasn't done more often.
Gresham is only good for a burst here and there through middle.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I would clearly start Sinclair at HB

But I wouldn’t be afraid to move him into the centre

We are too predictable

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 29 Jul 2022 8:32pm I would clearly start Sinclair at HB

But I wouldn’t be afraid to move him into the centre

We are too predictable
I reckon he could play anywhere

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I’m going to attempt an ‘Andrew Gaze’. There’s a segment on Fooxfootys Bounce where Gazey tells us what the coach really wanted to say
Life Long Saint wrote: Fri 29 Jul 2022 5:55pm
B.M wrote: Fri 29 Jul 2022 7:45amWhy hasn’t Sinclair ever been pushed to the midfield when things aren’t working? (esp the game Clarke tagged him?)
And who would we put at half back that gives us what Sinclair does?
A calm head, excellent ball use and a good link between defence and attack.
We can’t fit Seb Ross and Brad Crouch any where else. Didn’t you see how well these guys played against the team that’s won 2 games for the year? Seb has earnt the right to play in his preferred position and it would be unfair on our recruiters if they have to drop Crouch after they’ve already been embarrassed with Zac Jones. Also the club would have to change a hell of a lot of merchandise and marketing material for Ross and Crouch which says ‘they are midfielders’.
B.M wrote: Fri 29 Jul 2022 7:45amWhy wasn’t Gresham used more effectively?
Define "more effectively".
His first half of the season was very good. His form has followed the team's form.
Steele, Ross and Brad need someone to handball to. Jones not being there meant Gresh shouldered a fair bit. We’d love to have Gresh in the centre as well as in the forward line but last we heard, you’re only allowed 18 on the field. Gresh told us he wants to play more as a mid and Jack Higgins told us he prefers to stay forward and kick snags
B.M wrote: Fri 29 Jul 2022 7:45amWhy does Dougal Howard kick in?
He rarely takes the kick-in. There was a time when he used to, but now there are around 4-5 players that seem to rotate it.
Dougal has a few brainfades during matches and so he forgets that he’s not supposed to do it. Plus…he’s sick of seeing Wilkie and Battle with more kicks than him, so he just reckons it’s fair if he gets a few cheap disposal stats
B.M wrote: Fri 29 Jul 2022 7:45amWhy is Hill not used on the wing, the position he is a three time premiership player and club B&F?
We tried him there when he first came to us. It wasn't working. Hill has been used OK this season.
It’s unfair on the recruiters and the club list manager to play him in a position where he’s only getting 10 possessions a match. Embarrassing for Lethlean and Finnis too. It’s awkward at work if the coach wants to drop him. We told Ratts early on that if he wants a contract extension he has to play Hill where he can get closer to 20 possessions a game
B.M wrote: Fri 29 Jul 2022 7:45amWhy isn’t Hunter Clark AFL fit?
Two decent injuries won't help. He's looked really good in the last two preseasons before he copped injuries. And his injuries aren't soft tissue ones. They're collision injuries.
Hunter needs time away from the club to focus on his PlayStation skills. We want our players to have interests outside of football
B.M wrote: Fri 29 Jul 2022 7:45amWhy doesn’t Max King play higher so he can use his athleticism in space and maybe even lead occasionally?
Why doesn't Max King lead more and move around more? He stands side by side with his opponent calling for the ball. I suspect that is not how he is being coached.
We asked Max to listen to his coach but Max said he can’t understand what Lade wants him to do. Lade is a nice bloke so we don’t want to upset him too much before we sack him. Otherwise Brendan will give the club bad publicity

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Connolly, NWM, Highmore, Clark, Coffield (next season), Hill, Billings, and Long could all spend more time on a HBF for patches of a game whilst Sinclair spends some time in the middle…
Yes none of those players are as good as Sincs in defence but even fewer would be able to contribute what he could in the centre
I agree with BM in that moving into the middle in rd1 cs Collingwood swing the game back in our favour

On Howard…
He takes a lot of kick ins… more than has been insinuated. And it’s always the same move. Kick 50m forward to a pack. Guys like Sincs, Hill, etc sometimes run the ball or kick short too. Howard is terrible kick in in that he always does the exact same thing every time.
You can plan against it

Personally… Clark doesn’t strike me as a player that is in as optimal condition as he could be. Not out of shape but he doesn’t exactly outlast others and shine when they tire

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

We would need the best coach the AFL has ever seen to get this list to a flag.

if we ever do achieve it i'm confident the list won't look anything like it does today.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?