Dan's 5 goal bag

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Dan's 5 goal bag

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Re: Dan's 5 goal bag

24 touches.
He'll come back in, but at whose expense?
Byrnes waa medi-sub, Butler in means Ronnie misses out again?

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

We could have used some of that form against the Kangaroos, especially in the second quarter.

He absolutely must come back in: most likely for Sharman.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
ace
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Tue 31 May 2022 2:32pm We could have used some of that form against the Kangaroos, especially in the second quarter.

The Saints badly missed Steele at clearances but also missed goal kicking small forwards.
Smalls at the feet of the packs to kick goals and to stop easy get out of defensive 50s.

But hopefully 4 weeks will be enough for Higgins to recover from concussion and 2 weeks from covid.
That leaves Sharman as likely to miss out but who will be first choice Higgins or Butler.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote: Tue 31 May 2022 5:00pm
meher baba wrote: Tue 31 May 2022 2:32pm We could have used some of that form against the Kangaroos, especially in the second quarter.

The Saints badly missed Steele at clearances but also missed goal kicking small forwards.
Smalls at the feet of the packs to kick goals and to stop easy get out of defensive 50s.

But hopefully 4 weeks will be enough for Higgins to recover from concussion and 2 weeks from covid.
That leaves Sharman as likely to miss out but who will be first choice Higgins or Butler.
official stats say we lost clearances 44-32 or something.
I thought Crouch and Ross would've given us the lead in that stat, they've been awesome this year.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Higgins easily at AFL level over Butler who tackles but doesn’t hit the scoreboard
I’d want to Butler string a few games of goals/pressure together before he’s back

“Yeah….nah””
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

There’s a lot to like about Higgins: he’s a smart player who creates a lot of opportunities.

But he isn’t that strong defensively and he also is a long way from being a reliable shot on goal.

Brisbane have a strong backline and I prefer Butler for this game. Higgins can come back through the seconds and then the selectors can have their headache the following week.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Dan has been given many contiguous chances in the AFL side.
Can't score.
Can't take a contested mark.
Can make the straightforward look unnecessarily complicated.
Third stringer now.
There are plenty of good VFL players running around. We are top 4 contender. No room for showboating or not taking rare opportunities.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Higgins brings goals and X factor. Lifts the team with his antics butler doesn’t to the same degree. Not saying butler won’t be back but prefer others. Also am I the only one who likes Sharman. . A goal every game and usually when it matters not late when the game is won. He has flaws that he is working on but give me a player that applies scoreboard pressure over one that is more polished elsewhere

SunnyErnie
Club Player

Give Butler another week in the VFL. Make him hungry

St Kilda should never trade with Essendon and Sydney ever again!!!

NeXus
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Apparently in a 16 goal score 5 is considered a good day, not a "bag".

Also can't make him hungry, there is a contractual requirement to feed VFL players.

bakes
Club Player

When the heat is on, with finals type intensity, you can’t afford to have players that won’t put their body on the line.

This Brisbane game will be too intense for both Butler and to a lesser extent Billings.

I would definitely bring Higgins back in, he has been in fine form and is a little nugget.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

bakes wrote: Wed 08 Jun 2022 1:15am When the heat is on, with finals type intensity, you can’t afford to have players that won’t put their body on the line.
Isn't Butler a Premiership player?

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Some very peculiar comments on this thread.

Butler in particular has always put his body on the line.

What you don’t want in big games are too many young and inexperienced players without the hardened bodies that guys who’ve played plenty of AFL have been able to develop.

But it’s up to Ratts. If he wants to roll the dice and use all of the young guys, then I’m sure the club will back him in that choice.

If it were up to me I’d keep Owens and NWM in the team and bring in two more experienced players (two out of Clark, Billings, Higgins and Butler) for Sharman and Windhager.

Butler would be my personal first choice: a premiership player who couldn’t really have made a better case in the reserves.

Anyway, we’ll find out how Ratts sees it soon enough.

- Jonathan Swift
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Butler’s strength is his defensive pressure

Silly comments indeed

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

bakes wrote: Wed 08 Jun 2022 1:15am When the heat is on, with finals type intensity, you can’t afford to have players that won’t put their body on the line.

This Brisbane game will be too intense for both Butler and to a lesser extent Billings.

I would definitely bring Higgins back in, he has been in fine form and is a little nugget.
Butler doesn't put his body on the line? I must have been watching another player the past three seasons. Or you have, more likely.

Saint supporter since '62
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote: Wed 01 Jun 2022 9:45am Higgins brings goals and X factor. Lifts the team with his antics butler doesn’t to the same degree. Not saying butler won’t be back but prefer others. Also am I the only one who likes Sharman. . A goal every game and usually when it matters not late when the game is won. He has flaws that he is working on but give me a player that applies scoreboard pressure over one that is more polished elsewhere
I like Sharman.
I think he brings an extra marking option headache for oppo coaches, who have to work out tactics against Max, RoMa/Ryder (when they're fwd), Skunk, then Sharman.
I value Sharman's presence and scoreboard pressure more than Butler's funny party tricks 🤷‍♂️

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Thu 09 Jun 2022 1:59am
DJ Higgins wrote: Wed 01 Jun 2022 9:45am Higgins brings goals and X factor. Lifts the team with his antics butler doesn’t to the same degree. Not saying butler won’t be back but prefer others. Also am I the only one who likes Sharman. . A goal every game and usually when it matters not late when the game is won. He has flaws that he is working on but give me a player that applies scoreboard pressure over one that is more polished elsewhere
I like Sharman.
I think he brings an extra marking option headache for oppo coaches, who have to work out tactics against Max, RoMa/Ryder (when they're fwd), Skunk, then Sharman.
I value Sharman's presence and scoreboard pressure more than Butler's funny party tricks 🤷‍♂️
I don't like being mean, but I reckon that the idea that Sharman would be causing headaches for opposition coaches is close to laughable.

- Jonathan Swift
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Thu 09 Jun 2022 11:06am
I like Sharman.
I don't like being mean, but I reckon that the idea that Sharman would be causing headaches for opposition coaches is close to laughable.
🙆‍♂️
No offence taken, legend.
'Headaches' might be a bit much, but it's prob likely that Max is a prime topic for oppo, so any tall- Hayes, Sharman, anyone over 190cm- would potentially take a backman away from double-teaming Max.
We have RoMa, Coops and Winx doing mutiple leads, would stretch a defence e.g. they're wondering who to run with.
Against Tigers, Robbie Tarrant was often caught one-out vs Maxy as other Tigers were covering Hayes, RoMa, Skunk.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote: Thu 09 Jun 2022 2:15pm
meher baba wrote: Thu 09 Jun 2022 11:06am
I like Sharman.
🙆‍♂️
No offence taken, legend.
'Headaches' might be a bit much, but it's prob likely that Max is a prime topic for oppo, so any tall- Hayes, Sharman, anyone over 190cm- would potentially take a backman away from double-teaming Max.
We have RoMa, Coops and Winx doing mutiple leads, would stretch a defence e.g. they're wondering who to run with.
Against Tigers, Robbie Tarrant was often caught one-out vs Maxy as other Tigers were covering Hayes, RoMa, Skunk.
I know its easy in hind site but I didn't think we needed both Butler and Higgins. I would have much preferred to the Sharman as a bit of variance plus his goal a game would have helped big time. I would be interested to see who gets dropped next week. Hill might go as his performance wasn't great again but then again there were a few others who were also a bit quite.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Butler actually did ok considering our haphazard F50 entries that did him no favours.
If our we had gotten more clearances, and were better with uncontested ball (hitting targets better), and didn't have those injuries, we would have been closer.

We scored at least one goal taking the ball from HBF to forward line in an unbroken chain. Cos the Lions covered the corridor well.
So much for 'the 2nd best ruck combo in the league', it didn't help us