Injury creates opportunity

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

Injury creates opportunity

Steele out for 8 weeks
Higgins out at least 1 week
Lets assume Butler also out next week

One of the strengths this year IMO has been better selection integrity. Before Saturday Ratten said Clark needed another game at Sandy before returning. I hope they stick to this regardless of the injuries. I would love to have him back as he is a class player but wait until he is ready and match fit.

Will be interesting as Windy must keep his spot in the 22. NWM was rested after solid performances so would be unlucky not to come back in. Brynes has been very good in the VFL the last couple weeks so must be in the mix but i can't see an obvious drop out for him. Hard to drop a defender as the group has performed very well as a group for most of the year. Paton looked to be exposed a few times on TV, however that may be unfair as at the ground you get better perspective on why this happened.

Steele out for 8 weeks. Opportunity through the middle for Windy, Gresh and even Billings on the current side and Clark, Brynes, Bytel for guys that are out. Who will grab it??

Killa
Club Player

Re: Injury creates opportunity

In regard Clark, Ratts added but there is no VFL game this week

They did play a half match tho

It will depend on how Clark pulls up from that scratch match

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

older saint wrote: Mon 16 May 2022 2:35pm Steele out for 8 weeks

One of the strengths this year IMO has been better selection integrity. Before Saturday Ratten said Clark needed another game at Sandy before returning. I hope they stick to this regardless of the injuries. I would love to have him back as he is a class player but wait until he is ready and match fit.

Will be interesting as Windy must keep his spot in the 22. NWM was rested after solid performances so would be unlucky not to come back in. Brynes has been very good in the VFL the last couple weeks so must be in the mix but i can't see an obvious drop out for him. Hard to drop a defender as the group has performed very well as a group for most of the year. Paton looked to be exposed a few times on TV, however that may be unfair as at the ground you get better perspective on why this happened.

Steele out for 8 weeks. Opportunity through the middle for Windy, Gresh and even Billings on the current side and Clark, Brynes, Bytel for guys that are out. Who will grab it??
If Bytel is fit he is the most like for like replacement for Steele.

Byrnes must play, has to be rewarded for VFL form.'
Comes in to replace Higgins and play mid minutes.

Kent looks as though he's given up watching him in the VFL, interesting as he was behind Butler & Higgins and with both out may have got a shot.

Clark if match fit comes straight in.
Saints managed Billings well and the results were there to see against Cats.
I hope they take a similar cautious approach with Clark.

Leinert unlucky but can't see where he fits if keeping current structure.

Out: Steele, Higgins
In: Byrnes, Windy medical sub Leinert

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

I think we'll be ok due to our relatively short injury list and players coming back. Also I don't think we've been relying as heavily on Steele this years as in previous. A lot of other blokes have stepped up this year.

NWM definitely comes straight back in and Windy gets a gig in the 22. It also probably locks Sharman in for at least another week which I'm happy about. Will be interesting what they do with the small forward role. I would like to see maybe Billings or Gresh playing down there to cover the loss of Higgins and Butler, hopefully they don't bring Kent back in.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Opposition teams have been 'çlamping down' on Steele a lot more this season (IMHO) and his output has been somewhat curtailed.
Given he's not there it will be interesting to see who the opposition deem to be the most important midfielder to go to?
Crouch, I suspect

Saints58
Club Player

D.B.Cooper wrote: Mon 16 May 2022 2:43pm
older saint wrote: Mon 16 May 2022 2:35pm Steele out for 8 weeks

If Bytel is fit he is the most like for like replacement for Steele.

Byrnes must play, has to be rewarded for VFL form.'
Comes in to replace Higgins and play mid minutes.

Kent looks as though he's given up watching him in the VFL, interesting as he was behind Butler & Higgins and with both out may have got a shot.

Clark if match fit comes straight in.
Saints managed Billings well and the results were there to see against Cats.
I hope they take a similar cautious approach with Clark.

Leinert unlucky but can't see where he fits if keeping current structure.

In: Byrnes, Windy medical sub Leinert
Lienert in for jimmy Webster or paten I know the club likes these guys but what is more important like a player or winning and lienert is safe with the ball is big and has a great kick on him he also was BOG for Sandy last week.

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

In: Byrnes/Owens, Windy sub NWM

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote: Mon 16 May 2022 2:49pm Opposition teams have been 'çlamping down' on Steele a lot more this season (IMHO) and his output has been somewhat curtailed.
Given he's not there it will be interesting to see who the opposition deem to be the most important midfielder to go to?
Crouch, I suspect
After that stoppage where JB put us in front in the third quarter, I think they’ll be clamping down on him no doubt

At centre bounce it’ll be Gresham and Sinclair and Jones. Hill also cops attention in general play

Would love to see Clark get an extended run at it in the midfield. Let’s hope he has the tank

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Killa wrote: Mon 16 May 2022 2:40pm In regard Clark, Ratts added but there is no VFL game this week

They did play a half match tho

It will depend on how Clark pulls up from that scratch match
Don’t think you can expect Windhager to be Steele replacement
You probably want Clarke in to get Crows/Nth games under his belt before a tough run of games against Lions etc
Windhager plays forward 25% mid time
NWM sub

“Yeah….nah””
SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Clarke is ready mentally so if he gets a chance he'll add value.

If it's Bytel or Byrnes...then Bytel

Windy or NVM....NVM for my money

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Coach said Clark, with no e, will be playing one more VFL game before joining the AFL side.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Our 2020 or 2021 side with Steele out for 8 weeks, we would be 0-8.

This year I'd say we lose 1-2 goals a game as a result.

repta
Club Player

Windy deserves another
Clark still a week (or so) away

Geary needs to come in. Cant go in too young. We have winning issues going interstate (discipline?).
This game is a must win.
WIth Higgins & Butler both out we will need someone gritty in the forward line. Cant replace a bull with a colt.

diddley
Club Player

repta wrote: Wed 18 May 2022 6:48pm Windy deserves another
I’m more than happy to see Clarke come back in after the bye, to make sure he is rock solid to return. It will be a nice injection into the team from there.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

diddley wrote: Thu 19 May 2022 8:35pm
repta wrote: Wed 18 May 2022 6:48pm Windy deserves another
I’m more than happy to see Clarke come back in after the bye, to make sure he is rock solid to return. It will be a nice injection into the team from there.
Who is this Clarke you talk about?