Richmond next week

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

Richmond next week

Big game next week against a Richmond side which looked good at times and not so at others against GWS with 21 men.

They get a few back in Grimes, Riewoldt,

DO we play Ryder?
If yes how can we play King, Membrey, Ryder, Marshall and Hayes all in the one side?
Too big forward especially with Richmond's run off half back - Short, Rioli

Considering the week afters Hawthorn game suddenly looks a lot more harder than a month ago it is a huge opportunity

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Re: Richmond next week

Yes play all the big fellas. If Ryder is fit play him in place of Wood.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

This might be an unpopular view but, I tend to think that as usual - we were getting our ar$es handed to us before Darcy rolled his ankle. After that - RoMa was able to ruck against their 2nd ruck (Meek) and a bit against Lobb. Once that happened - we started to gain ascendancy at the stoppages and especially at centre bounces when we were able to do exactly what other teams do to us ... burst from the front of the stoppage to 6/6/6 isolated forwards. Simple game when that happens ... King ins't double teamed and gets a run at it; Membrey gets a similar sized defender; small forwards are able to crumb and apply forward pressure to keep it in or get deeper repeat entries.

On that basis - had Darcy not gone off; I don't think we would have won ... we simply wouldn't have got enough midfield supply. That said - I thought our defence was pretty damn good in the last 1/4 and I'm delighted for Battle that he killed it.

So - somehow we must find a way to play Ryder. What Nank and Soldo will do to us without him doesn't bear thinking about. We'll be obliterated.

I don't know who comes out - a bit above my pay grade. Maybe Wood. I love Hayes' intensity and aggression - he looks like he's playing every game like it's his last - I vote he stays in as long as he's upright

Go you red, black & white warriors
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Hayes' numbers weren't nice.
I think he got 7 kicks and a few handballs.
Then got pinged for a fair tackle which gave em that goal.
Hopefully he'll be on fire vs the Tigers

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Mon 28 Mar 2022 11:25am This might be an unpopular view but, I tend to think that as usual - we were getting our ar$es handed to us before Darcy rolled his ankle. After that - RoMa was able to ruck against their 2nd ruck (Meek) and a bit against Lobb. Once that happened - we started to gain ascendancy at the stoppages and especially at centre bounces when we were able to do exactly what other teams do to us ... burst from the front of the stoppage to 6/6/6 isolated forwards. Simple game when that happens ... King ins't double teamed and gets a run at it; Membrey gets a similar sized defender; small forwards are able to crumb and apply forward pressure to keep it in or get deeper repeat entries.

On that basis - had Darcy not gone off; I don't think we would have won ... we simply wouldn't have got enough midfield supply. That said - I thought our defence was pretty damn good in the last 1/4 and I'm delighted for Battle that he killed it.

So - somehow we must find a way to play Ryder. What Nank and Soldo will do to us without him doesn't bear thinking about. We'll be obliterated.

I don't know who comes out - a bit above my pay grade. Maybe Wood. I love Hayes' intensity and aggression - he looks like he's playing every game like it's his last - I vote he stays in as long as he's upright
I agree Matt. Darcy going off was a game changer. If Paddy is fit he must play.

St Stav

Can Joyce please never get dropped again he can play on the opposition’s gorillas starting with Lynch this week and Gunston the week after that’ll release dougal up the ground

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

WellardSaint wrote: Mon 28 Mar 2022 12:17pm Hayes' numbers weren't nice.
Understand that completely. Raw numbers are indisputable facts. But - there's something about the way he plays that not a lot of our other players possess. A bit of oomph in him.

Generally - we're such a nice team to play against - zero intimidation, lack of physical presence - we're just beige. Hayes looks like he wants to be there, knows he's a big unit and isn't afraid to throw it around. It's one of the reasons I love Battle - he tackles to hurt.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Interesting OP but I don't think we view all 5 in the forward line, only 3 at any one time. King, Membrey plus one of the others either rucking, resting forward or on the bench.

If we think we are too tall then Richmond is way too tall if that makes sense. Ryder must play if fit.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

st.byron wrote: Mon 28 Mar 2022 12:47pm
Saintmatt wrote: Mon 28 Mar 2022 11:25am This might be an unpopular view but, I tend to think that as usual - we were getting our ar$es handed to us before Darcy rolled his ankle. After that - RoMa was able to ruck against their 2nd ruck (Meek) and a bit against Lobb. Once that happened - we started to gain ascendancy at the stoppages and especially at centre bounces when we were able to do exactly what other teams do to us ... burst from the front of the stoppage to 6/6/6 isolated forwards. Simple game when that happens ... King ins't double teamed and gets a run at it; Membrey gets a similar sized defender; small forwards are able to crumb and apply forward pressure to keep it in or get deeper repeat entries.

I agree Matt. Darcy going off was a game changer. If Paddy is fit he must play.
Tend to agree as well. I like Roma, but Darcy had lowered Roma’s colours until that point.

Bad management is bad management
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

I find it hard to get excited about the win yesterday.
If we kick that score against Richmond we lose by 6 goals.
Freo had their 2 best players out, and a couple others and we only fell across the line - kicking 1.1 in the last quarter . Freo were coming but just didn’t have the class on the field to take the win.
Richmond are a better team at this point in time and look like they are building - and add Grimes and Reiwoldt
We add Paddy who will still be short of a run and Dougal.
Need our forwards to nail their set shots if we are to have any chance - but given our track record of the past 12 months, it’s unlikely they will.
Hard to see us getting within 6 goals frankly.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote: Mon 28 Mar 2022 4:58pm I find it hard to get excited about the win yesterday.
If we kick that score against Richmond we lose by 6 goals. .
Based on their previous effort against us we would win by 7 goals.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote: Mon 28 Mar 2022 4:58pm I find it hard to get excited about the win yesterday.
If we kick that score against Richmond we lose by 6 goals.
Freo had their 2 best players out, and a couple others and we only fell across the line - kicking 1.1 in the last quarter . Freo were coming but just didn’t have the class on the field to take the win.
Richmond are a better team at this point in time and look like they are building - and add Grimes and Reiwoldt
We add Paddy who will still be short of a run and Dougal.
Need our forwards to nail their set shots if we are to have any chance - but given our track record of the past 12 months, it’s unlikely they will.
Hard to see us getting within 6 goals frankly.
Yeah, they had two out. We had six,

westies1953

Coming from Adelaide to see game this week. Is there training on Friday that can be watched?

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Will Highmore and Sharman come in?

I am interested in some of the lesser players and I notice that Ross is looking fired up now. Still cool, but just a bit more voltage in the electricity level. I like it. (Or is it the buzzed hair?)

I wonder about Paton, Wood and the new SA recruit really had a quiet one.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
StPeter
Club Player

shanegrambeau wrote: Tue 29 Mar 2022 12:52am Will Highmore and Sharman come in?

I am interested in some of the lesser players and I notice that Ross is looking fired up now. Still cool, but just a bit more voltage in the electricity level. I like it. (Or is it the buzzed hair?)

The new SA recruit, Jarrod Lienert I am assuming you mean, had 18 possessions and 5 marks in limited time on the field in his first game.

Not many first gamers can boast those sort of stats. He did ok I thought.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Mon 28 Mar 2022 12:17pm Hayes' numbers weren't nice.
From afl.com.au

"The Woodville West-Torrens product starred on debut against Collingwood in round one and was played his role in Perth, finishing with 12 disposals, six hitouts and three clearances to support Rowan Marshall in the ruck against Sean Darcy and Lloyd Meek."

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I'm throwing the old chestnut out there.

This game will show where we are in the scheme of things.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

It's certainly the proverbial big game but I don't think we'll really have an understanding of our season until rounds 6 to 8.

spert
Saintsational Legend

We have a pretty poor defensive game in regards to slowing opposition ball movement through the middle of the ground, and we saw how lack of accountability of the GWS players, let the Tigers link up easily to move up the ground quickly. Not confident with this one at all- might be nasty

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

there were times when we gave freo so much space when they had the ball...it blew me away..when we had it they were all over us like s*** to a blanket

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

We will have to improve again if we are to compete against Richmond. They will have Grimes and most likely Riewoldt back which will be a handful for our defence. TBH I cant see how they get away with so many talls, they seemed to be getting in each others way against Carlton. I wasnt sold on Joyce defensive game, so if fit I would bring in Highmore he can manage the bigger opponents.

Likely matchups -

Howard v Lynch
Highmore v Soldo
Battle v Balta
Lienert v Riewoldt

Wilkie to play on a small and use him in a sweaping role.

Its all the more reason we need to be on top through the midfield and centre/stoppage clearances. Marshall needs to step up and start having an influence when forward. Jayden Short had a huge game against GWS so we will need a lock down player to slow his drive.

Team Ins: Ryder, Howard, Highmore Team Outs: Joyce, Wood, Byrnes

Webster Howard Highmore
Wilkie Battle Hill
Ross Crouch McKenzie
Membrey Marshall Butler
Higgins King Gresham

F: Ryder, Steele, Sinclair
Int: Hayes, Lienert, NWM, Paton
Sub: Wood
Last edited by Impatient Sainter on Tue 29 Mar 2022 12:43pm, edited 4 times in total.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

StPeter wrote: Tue 29 Mar 2022 2:49am
shanegrambeau wrote: Tue 29 Mar 2022 12:52am Will Highmore and Sharman come in?

The new SA recruit, Jarrod Lienert I am assuming you mean, had 18 possessions and 5 marks in limited time on the field in his first game.

Not many first gamers can boast those sort of stats. He did ok I thought.
Yes, sorry, meant Hayes.

Yep, those numbers were good for Lienert.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Perhaps we play Paddy and Hayes as the sub.

If there are no injuries we tell Paddy to go hard until for a half or to mid way through the 3rd and sub him out for Hayes.

Marshall takes the bulk of the 2nd half ruck with a chop out from Hayes.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Tue 29 Mar 2022 4:14pm Perhaps we play Paddy and Hayes as the sub.

If there are no injuries we tell Paddy to go hard until for a half or to mid way through the 3rd and sub him out for Hayes.
It is a medical sub, and not a sub.

The player has to be injured to go off, and not just buggered.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....