Ryder and Gresham tactics

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Ryder and Gresham tactics

I think their combination and the way they are used will be critical next season. Gresham is short, stocky and powerful, has elite ground level skills inside and great evasive skills to work his way through the front of a stoppage.
Ryder is a leaper and an elite tap ruckman.

Here’s how I’d use them

Ryder, much better in the centre bounce than Marshall, so he’d take 80% or more of the centre bounces but only play about 50% in the actual ruck.
Much in the same way Martin, Stringer Degoey and other attacking Mids push hard fwd at centre bounce and switch (hand over) with a HF
I would do the same with Ryder and Marshall when Paddy needs to spell. After the tap, Paddy would either push deep forward or go off and Marshall would push up from the f50 and play ruck. Marshall being the better around the ground ruckman can get to work. Then when Marshall needs to spell, Paddy spends time in the ruck. In this rotation Sharman/Battle become very important when any tall is on the bench.

Gresham
Vital that either of Jones or Gresham is ALWAYS in the midfield. Need the breakaway speed from stoppage.
I would use Gresham as a forward of centre mid (Like Jake Stringer) and allow him to (cheat) and be very attacking at stoppage!
Often pushing hard into f50 whilst another player (role player) from HF or wing actually gets behind the ball and defends the back of the stoppage allowing Gresham to have a license to get forward of the ball.

Bit complicated to write down, but it’s all about maximising players strengths in a game plan.

Wingmen critical in modern game plan - they have a specific role - which requires elite endurance running for getting back to support the defence to being an outlet exiting D50. They CANNOT kick chase!!! Or the team will lose shape and structure (think Ross, McKenzie, Hill, Hannebery, Billings)

HFs and HBs need explosive speed for the ability to defend first, then switch to offence when we get possession and provide run and carry (Sinclair, Hill, Coffield, Paton, Kent, Butler, Gresham)

Anyway,
A bit there, but those are some rough ideas that I reckon would work with our list.
I am very bullish, that if we have a good run with injury 2022 will be more like 2020 than 21

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ryder and Gresham tactics

What may be exercising the minds of coaches of teams that did not go top is how to stop opposition momentum under the 6 6 6 rule.

It seems too difficult. If the floggings continue the rule may need to be revisited.

I don't think Hocking did the code or its fundamentals any favour with that radical change. Makes the current Melbourne side unbeatable unless their mids start to fumble. Can see some unsavoury tactics at centre bounces coming.

Saints58
Club Player

I like it would have liked to have Gresham’s over last 2 years.I think Ben long would be good on the wing he has pace and does 1% well he could make quite a impact.If he is not traded hope not.
This season depends on the new fitness guy from GWS if he keeps us on the park we do well.
I know nothing about him except that didn’t GWS have a big injury list last season?

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Fitness guys are great to have, players that are highly motivated to do the work are better.

Sanctorum
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 30 Sep 2021 9:44am Fitness guys are great to have, players that are highly motivated to do the work are better.
Exactly CQ SAINT, as I noted when I posted the article on Petracca before the GF, it is entirely up to the individual player to work his butt off to get his fitness and skill levels up to elite level - that requires a hell of a lot of extra work away from the training track in the player's own time.

For example, Max King, Tim Membrey, Rowan Marshall, Cooper Sharman, Jack Higgins, Dan Butler, Jake Gresham and others should spend hours and hours practising their goal kicking skills, and continue to do this until they have established a successful routine that will maximise their shots on goal.

If a player is not prepared to do that he doesn't deserve to be selected. It wouldn't surprise me if this was behind the falling out between Ratten and Dunstan....there haven't been too many clubs expressing an interest in his services so far.

"Where there is no hope, it is incumbent on us to invent it.."

Albert Camus (1913-1960) French philospher
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Gresham needs to 1) learn how to kick and 2) pick the correct option.

Otherwise he’s destined to be a banger out of the middle like Oliver WAS. Has a long way to go in my opinion and is highly overrated by Saints fans

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Thu 30 Sep 2021 2:27pm Gresham needs to 1) learn how to kick and 2) pick the correct option.

Otherwise he’s destined to be a banger out of the middle like Oliver WAS. Has a long way to go in my opinion and is highly overrated by Saints fans
Agreed he butchers the ball out of the middle, he just belts it forward. He needs to learn to steady and kick to advantage, rather than bombing it forward constantly. Also he cant expect to bounce back to his previous acceleration after snapping an achillies, it will take a lot of work to get it right.

Likewise with Patons injury some players are never the same, some take a couple of years to get back any where near where they were.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Disagree about Gresham

His clearance work is elite

Kicking, like a lot of inside Mids is not perfect… but his ability to get speed on the ball out of stoppage is outstanding

His small forward craft is also excellent
Kicked 35 in 2018 in a s*** side

Excellent hybrid player

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Most inside Mids bash it forward, they normally win the ball in contest, not in 30m of space.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Gresham hasn't had much game time for 2 years, he may take a while to hit his straps.

It will be interesting to see how he goes as a mid, when he was playing there, pre injuries, there was a lot of debate
as to whether he was better suited to his forward role. If i remember correctly his disposal can be an issue, including set shots at goal.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Moods
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Thu 30 Sep 2021 2:39pm Most inside Mids bash it forward, they normally win the ball in contest, not in 30m of space.
I’m okay with him bashing it fwd in certain instances once he’s won a clearance. The 3rd quarter of GF was perfect illustration of fantastic clearance AND delivery. When he does get space he needs to use it. Some of the Dees kicks weren’t lace out, and they didn’t need to be. He just needs to give King and co a chance by kicking it to advantage. Too many kicks are helicopters or up and unders.