AFL's $600M line of credit...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

AFL's $600M line of credit...

...was only needed for a 'whopping' $15M from the clubs.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/afl ... 57332.html

AFL clubs also drew $15 million from the $600 million line of credit the league negotiated with the banks against equity in the ownership of Marvel Stadium.

Thats a far cry from what our very own chicken little / Secret Karen types on here were spamming ALL of last season, with gems like...
Secret Karen wrote: Sat 18 Apr 2020 9:10am
So you've missed the information about the strict controls being put in place being similar to going into administration, that doesn't mean it's not the facts of the matter.

You still havent answered how the AFL come up with a figure of $600? Is that to get them to July or New Years Eve?

How much of that $600 is planned to be used?
Are you suggesting the most successful businesses in the country just plucked the figure from thin air?
Seems like the AFL is a lot better run than some give them credit for. In the end the drop in revenue was very manageable considering all the circumstances of 2020, especially with the cash reserves the AFL had stashed away.

The AFL’s year-on-year revenue plummeted by $119.1 million to $674.8 million forcing the AFL to draw on $60 million of retained earnings to underpin the season.

I'm still curious to see what input the insolvency practitioners had at the trade/draft table? Were they the ones pushing so hard for Couch? Did they take Higgins out for a coffee to get him over the line??

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Sanctorum
Club Player

Re: AFL's $600M line of credit...

Big cream pie in the face for the predictors of doom and gloom on this forum last year, I hope they have the balls to admit they were so wrong in forecasting the demise of St Kilda FC and reduction of the comp to just the elite teams.

Some more memorable quotes:

" Secret Kiel wrote: Sun 12 Apr 2020 7:47am

Sport of any type at any level will not be played again this year.

The government won't come out and say that right now as it will demororalise the sporting community.

Developing a vaccine is the only turning point if you read between the lines in the messaging by ALL governments around the globe.
"

"Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 21 Apr 2020 7:35am

Lethlean is gone. And his departure will just be the start of the guts getting cut out of the club.

Brace yourself, it's highly doubtful the 2020 season will be completed placing further financial pressure on the AFL and even some clubs existence. It's looking like if the AFL doesn't resume by May 31 then the season will be officially cancelled. That means an immediate loss of $413 in media rights money.

I'll call it now and Say Letlean is a cost we may not be able to afford.

I think our AFLW team would also be very concerned as I can see them being cut if this season is cancelled
."

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Yeah, but it's not over until it's over...

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I think it was touch and go for a while there TBH.

Certainly a chance that the season might be completely cancelled save for a Mickey mouse Round Robin in October.

That the AFL got off lightly really doesn't really say much about what has happened at the lesser levels.

Let's hope it is all gonna get better fast.

Over here in Japan I just wonder if they'll even get their Olympics...ever?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Thu 18 Feb 2021 12:21am I think it was touch and go for a while there TBH.
I don't think that it was touch and go is the point of the OP (correct me if I am wrong) it was more so people posting conjecture/thoughts/hopes/conspiracy theories reporting them as fact was the issue. Representing conjecture as reality is a very dangerous game.
Last edited by ausfatcat on Thu 18 Feb 2021 12:58am, edited 2 times in total.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote: Thu 18 Feb 2021 12:34am
shanegrambeau wrote: Thu 18 Feb 2021 12:21am I think it was touch and go for a while there TBH.
I don't think that it was touch and go is the point of the OP (correct me if I am wrong) it was more so people posting conjecture/thoughts/hopes/conspiracy theories as fact was the issue.
The AFL would have been a laughing stock and in the deepest of s*** with no contingency plan.
So they made a contingency plan but the ratings from the hub comp and footyfests was an absolutely outstanding success, despite the multimillion $ costs of running the hubs.
Never in doubt and never again.
You'd have more chance of convicting Bell of paedophilia.

minneapolis
Club Player

Certainly a chance that the season might be completely cancelled save for a Mickey mouse Round Robin in October.

That the AFL got off lightly really doesn't really say much about what has happened at the lesser levels.

Let's hope it is all gonna get better fast.

Over here in Japan I just wonder if they'll even get their Olympics...ever?
Hi Shane,

you would think that the Japanese Olympics are gone for this cycle.

However I reckon that Japan would be first in the queue for the next Olympics. Maybe even a no-bid compensation award for 2032. They have all the facilities and the plan in place.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

:roll:
CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 18 Feb 2021 12:50am
I don't think that it was touch and go is the point of the OP (correct me if I am wrong) it was more so people posting conjecture/thoughts/hopes/conspiracy theories as fact was the issue.
The AFL would have been a laughing stock and in the deepest of s*** with no contingency plan.
So they made a contingency plan but the ratings from the hub comp and footyfests was an absolutely outstanding success, despite the multimillion $ costs of running the hubs.
Just because we delisted him, you don't have to link him to that sort of rubbish. :roll: :roll:

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Thu 18 Feb 2021 10:33am :roll:
CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 18 Feb 2021 12:50am
Just because we delisted him, you don't have to link him to that sort of rubbish. :roll: :roll:
Very good Saynta. I enjoyed that.😁 Bloody autocorrect. It'll get me in trouble.