Coaching: Were we out coached?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Coaching: Were we out coached?

What's your view?

Melbourne read us like a kids book?

Didn't see whole game.

Did see great opportunity to pass from back flank/pocket boundary to CHB to centre corridor, but Melbourne knew we were following instructions to go to the wing (without Hill it would have been far worse) .

THey read us like a book and stacked the wings.

THen if we did manage to get it out of that scrummage, it was mortar bombs into the f50 where 'was it May? had loads of intercepts.

Why didn't we take the chance? Why didn't we change...again...too rigid?? Inflexible...Geezzz......!!!! Bloody hell!!

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
chook23
Saintsational Legend

Re: Coaching: Were we out coached?

Richardson struggled as a coach

but he does know a lot of our players strengths/weaknesses

he would have had input to annoy

saint4life
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I don’t think we picked the right team...

Allegedly we planned to run them off there feet.

Well Kent, Hind and Butler had 20 touches between them and contributed SFA. Their opponents played off them and helped ensure there were numbers around the contest when the ball was bombed all night which we did.

SInclair was better than last week but is not having a lot of impact minus a few good plays
Billings was worse than last week... don’t want him traded but there were no redeeming features tonight
Don’t know what Geary was doing

We missed Carlisle badly tonight and looked quite vulnerable in the air

We have too many part time players or ‘role’ players for my liking at the moment and it’s the same guys most weeks.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

It seemed obvious things were not working...but did the coaching and players react? Melbourne knew where to stand. We didn't know where to kick!.

And yeah, Richo deserves a little nip of something satisfying after this I suppose.

Damn it. Most disappointing loss of the year so far for me.

Three out of the last four lost...and now here come the 'hard' games.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sat 29 Aug 2020 11:22pm I don’t think we picked the right team...

Well Kent, Hind and Butler had 20 touches between them and contributed SFA. Their opponents played off them and helped ensure there were numbers around the contest when the ball was bombed all night which we did.

SInclair was better than last week but is not having a lot of impact minus a few good plays
Billings was worse than last week... don’t want him traded but there were no redeeming features tonight

We have too many part time players or ‘role’ players for my liking at the moment and it’s the same guys most weeks.
Agree with everything except the comment on Carlisle. Not sure why you think we missed him? They only scored 8 goals and Petracca kicked 4 of them. Our backline was okay, the problem is fwd of centre delivering to fwds and fwd set up.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Sat 29 Aug 2020 11:27pm
skeptic wrote: Sat 29 Aug 2020 11:22pm I don’t think we picked the right team...

Agree with everything except the comment on Carlisle. Not sure why you think we missed him? They only scored 8 goals and Petracca kicked 4 of them. Our backline was okay, the problem is fwd of centre delivering to fwds and fwd set up.
I agree with everything Skeptic says 100%

I think Carlisle would have been an effective forward foil!!

Imagine if they had to deal with Carlise AND King up there. Much better.

I still do not get the Kent thing.

Damn it Ratten.

PS See Hill - Sinclair-Marshall chain in the last. Nice.. but too late. (King benched by then)

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

IMO just needed a different approach into the forward line Mayes was owning Max but they kept bombing there but there should have been other options Geelong have Hawkins but they don't go to him every single time they look for the best option

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

bangaulegend wrote: Sat 29 Aug 2020 11:35pm IMO just needed a different approach into the forward line Mayes was owning Max but they kept bombing there but there should have been other options Geelong have Hawkins but they don't go to him every single time they look for the best option
Yes

But why can't they be flexible and change?? FFS!! Too predictable! Is it because we are a young team? We are not that young anyway.. I wonder what Hill was thinking. Gee, so frustrating.

BUt team change too.

Carlisle could have played forward tonight....

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Its our delivery.

It really is.

We went inside so many times tonight to contests, or just picked out a defender.
It's sloppy and our forwards don't seem to lead much.

The reliance is on the little blokes getting a crumb, which is low percentage really.

Edit: To answer the OP question. Yeah we were outcoached in many ways. Melbourne's defensive setup out of their F50 was tip top and stopped us moving. For far too many minutes of the game. We just wasted too much time. A lot of the dash and risk is missing.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote: Sat 29 Aug 2020 11:45pm Its our delivery.

It really is.

We went inside so many times tonight to contests, or just picked out a defender.

The reliance is on the little blokes getting a crumb, which is low percentage really.
But the time and space for the delivery was not there.

I saw one or two occasions (didn't watch entire game) .

When Sinclair got away and kicked a lovely right footer at a 45 degree angle across his body and finally Membrey had space to run to the drop. BUt otherwise I think they were following the game plan to hug the boundary and Melbourne just knew it! They were ready like those Bears picking off the the Salmon on their way up the river, against the current. That's how it looked.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Who’s Hind?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

None of Hind, Kent, Lonnie or Parker should play every week. Rotate them until one finally cements the spot

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Goose is king wrote: Sat 29 Aug 2020 11:57pm None of Hind, Kent, Lonnie or Parker should play every week. Rotate them until one finally cements the spot
Unfortunately none of them are good enough really.

At least Lonie can do a few defensive efforts.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote: Sun 30 Aug 2020 12:31am
Goose is king wrote: Sat 29 Aug 2020 11:57pm None of Hind, Kent, Lonnie or Parker should play every week. Rotate them until one finally cements the spot
Unfortunately none of them are good enough really.

At least Lonie can do a few defensive efforts.
Yep, and Lonie's probably barely best 22.
I'd rate them
Lonie
Hind
Parker and Kent (toss coin)

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Absolutely no doubt the blame for that loss lays squarely on our coaches shoulders. Our F50 entries and inability to take May out of the game were damning indictments of how poorly Ratts & co coached tonight.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

We were too weak and too short. Only the game of Jack Steele kept us in it.

Someone said that Josh Battle only had 7% game time. If that is true, and he was not injured, then the coach should be sacked. Leaving out Jake Carlisle, unless he was injured, was also a grave error. Lack of height on the backline cost us two goals.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Small forward role is a tough gig but Lonie,Hine,Kent & Parker can only deliver 2 or 3 times a year not good enough. Hine & Kent were terrible tonight I'd give Parker another go . Lonie is a one trick pony been around long enough to show what he can do & has his moments but a list clogger IMO

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 29 Aug 2020 11:54pm

It really is.

When Sinclair got away and kicked a lovely right footer at a 45 degree angle across his body and finally Membrey had space to run to the drop. BUt otherwise I think they were following the game plan to hug the boundary and Melbourne just knew it! They were ready like those Bears picking off the the Salmon on their way up the river, against the current. That's how it looked.
Yep and if you go back ....that started with the Cats game their defenders picked us off chipped around defensive 50 and set up multiple attacks
No one made Harry Taylor defend 1 out he was allowed to come over the top time and again
Our forwards play 15-20 out from goal so opponents now know if they slow down our quick footy from half back by the time we get to fwd 50 we are pressured and bomb away for them to pick off!
We have no plan B I can see
The comp has worked out our party trick that’s why we are sliding down the ladder
We are also carrying way to many passengers

“Yeah….nah””
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sun 30 Aug 2020 1:00am
shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 29 Aug 2020 11:54pm

It really is.

Yep and if you go back ....that started with the Cats game their defenders picked us off chipped around defensive 50 and set up multiple attacks
No one made Harry Taylor defend 1 out he was allowed to come over the top time and again
Our forwards play 15-20 out from goal so opponents now know if they slow down our quick footy from half back by the time we get to fwd 50 we are pressured and bomb away for them to pick off!
We have no plan B I can see
The comp has worked out our party trick that’s why we are sliding down the ladder
We are also carrying way to many passengers
I wonder when they're coming fast into attack would it not pay to kick to a pre-determined spot rather than to a clump of players about 15 metres out?

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

It was execution, not coaching. Poor goal kicking early, and appalling delivery into the forward line. Had we done both those things properly we would have won by 4 goals. I put it squarely on the players. Coaches can't kick for the players.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I think Ratts has one game plan. Geelong worked out how to nullify it by getting possession and slowing it all down, waiting for someone to present, chip it to them and work your way down the ground etc etc. Brisbane copied Geelong, and Melbourne did likewise, though not a great team, it still worked for them.
I was disappointed in the lack of willingness of many players to run hard and present as an option last night- the half forwards played too far up the field ..structures are a coaching issue.

takeaway
Club Player

cwrcyn wrote: Sun 30 Aug 2020 7:43am It was execution, not coaching. Poor goal kicking early, and appalling delivery into the forward line. Had we done both those things properly we would have won by 4 goals. I put it squarely on the players. Coaches can't kick for the players.
I'd agree with the above, but wouldn't put it 100% on the players.

Certainly 16 more inside 50's should result in a clear win. Port thrashed Sydney, but only had 4 more inside 50's for example. GWS thrashed Dockers, 9 more inside 50's.

We seem to have too much of Kingitus, bombing it in to 20m out, letting King and sometimes Ryder/Marshall get belted, but get it to the ground to our waiting forwards. As in another thread, I feel sorry for Max King. The opposition are now waiting for this, and picking us off. May was very good though. Through the limited vision of the TV, I haven't seen many coaching moves to combat this, Battle was sent down there, but you need some of those forwards leading more, dragging out a defender, not waiting at the feet of King. Butler produced some good leads late, one excellent mark, and lowering the eyes and kicks to leads has to be a much more utilised option. Membrey leads far and wide, but you need a couple of genuine leads at least. A Toby Greene would be very handy in this side.

It was a pretty ugly match though, as seems to be the case for most matches this year.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

I think there are two main reasons for our loss last night. Firstly the team look like they are running out of petrol tickets quickly in games now.. At Times they looked like they had concrete boots on. We had about 5 to 6 players make bugger all contribution.

And secondly our key forwards in King and Members made basic skill errors. Dropped marks and missed set shots within 30m of goal. Was at least 4 to 5 goals that should should be in the official records today.

Talking about coaching is over thinking it. That's two losses now squarely on individual players.

Maybe the Noosa lifestyle is to blame.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 29 Aug 2020 11:26pm It seemed obvious things were not working...but did the coaching and players react? Melbourne knew where to stand. We didn't know where to kick!.

And yeah, Richo deserves a little nip of something satisfying after this I suppose.

Damn it. Most disappointing loss of the year so far for me.

Three out of the last four lost...and now here come the 'hard' games.
We have already played most of the 'hard' games SG, We have lost four games this year by a goal or less, and one of those was before the season went into a recess over five months ago, so that game is now a bit irrelevant.
We are currently sixth and play Hawthorn, the team currently sitting fifteenth on the ladder next Sunday. In the final round we play GWS who are currently sitting ninth, but will probably be tenth after the round is completed this evening. Both of these matches I expect to win. It would be nice to get back into some form against the Hawks next Sunday.
The Eagles who we play between these two games will be nowhere near as tough in Qld as they have been in WA, so although we'll probably get done I wouldn't expect our % to take a hit.
We'll win two out of the next three.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

double-posted
Last edited by samuraisaint on Sun 30 Aug 2020 9:43am, edited 1 time in total.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.