Ben Cunnington

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

johnearljames
Club Player

Ben Cunnington

Rumours circulating North are looking to offload senior players for draft picks.

Cunnington is 29 but he could slot into our midfield. Wouldn't cost much, like Paddy Ryder and he has proven very valuable at 31.

This is not a rumour we are chasing Ben...yet.

Want to watch the most boring and devious thing on television and probably in mankind's history, then tune into a daily live press conference at 11am.
diddley
Club Player

Re: Ben Cunnington

The only way I would grab him is is we offloaded either Ross or Dunstan.
Also, I think they would be expecting more in draft picks than what he is worth to us. They would expect a top 10 pick, I’m guessing.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

An absolute gun but beginning to cop injuries that are becoming harder to get over. Sound familiar? No thanks.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

We don't need another Hannebery 1 is more than enough

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I don't mind your thinking but prefer Kelvin at this stage.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
johnearljames
Club Player

Do we want a flag or not?

Would only give a pick over 30 for him due to his age.

Imagine Cunnington and Steele in the guts.

Want to watch the most boring and devious thing on television and probably in mankind's history, then tune into a daily live press conference at 11am.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

johnearljames wrote: Thu 20 Aug 2020 11:19am Do we want a flag or not?
Well, that wasn't the original question.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Rule number one: Never recruit a balding player. Full crops of hair only.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Zach?

johnearljames
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Thu 20 Aug 2020 11:46amZach?
Hamill and Gehrig!

Secret Kiel
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Thu 20 Aug 2020 11:46amZach?
They are ok once they have snuck in.

But in all seriousness, it's a no for me on Ben. He's an awesome midfilder and very underrated but he's the wrong age, hence my bald joke. We are going back to the GWS well for our next A grade midfielder. Lock it in.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Need young stars, not over-the-hill ones.

We're one or two gun young midfielders away from having a really good side for the next 5-10 years (hopefully)

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Thu 20 Aug 2020 12:15pm We're one or two gun young midfielders away from having a really good side for the next 5-10 years

Agree. We could give it a shake this season, I reckon, if the midfield had a little more star quality (Gresham is a big loss, despite what his critics say).

I still think Hunter Clark has all the tools to be an elite midfielder. Evasive, quick hands, stands up in tackles so the guy tackling him ends up around his ankles like a loose pair of undies.

I’m not sure why they haven’t pulled the trigger on this. Perhaps his tank isn’t there yet, or Ratts considers him too vital to defence. But what could be more vital than winning the midfield?

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Pity we didn't have him in round 1. BOG

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

No thanks. We don’t need more higher injury risk mids towards the end of their careers. We need quality long term players, not short term top ups. As an extra depth option maybe once we snag a couple of quality young mids, but not as a crucial piece of the puzzle.

johnearljames
Club Player

We need an experienced, tough and ball getting mid and now for 2021. Got to get one somewhere. Cunnington might come cheap as he is 30 next year, like Ryder and fit in really well. You would get 3 solid years out of him.

We also need to use our 1st rounder on the best mid available and try get a mid that has been in the system for a couple of years (like Jack Steele was) that will grow and has heaps of potential.

I really don't see Dunstan and Ross getting us into the top 4 or a GF as part of our midfield group. Hanners can't be a guaranteed to play in the middle either so we need an expierenced mid. Must be a priority.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Thu 20 Aug 2020 12:15pm Need young stars, not over-the-hill ones.

We're one or two gun young midfielders away from having a really good side for the next 5-10 years (hopefully)
Well if we look at players who are U26 that we have already:

Wilkie Howard Paton
Clark Clavarino Long
Jones Dunstan Sinclair
Billings Battle Parker
Butler King Lonie

Marshall Steele Gresham

INT: Coffield Bytel Byrnes Marsh

EMERG: McKenzie Austin Phillips

Add to that both Hill and Membrey could both play another 5 seasons and you have a very good platform to build on for the next 5 years.

To add to what we already have I think most people agree that it is some out and out gun mids. Gaining gun (or potential gun) mids should help to keep us at the top end of the ladder for a sustained period if they can play 5 years.

If we can gain some and get the above lot all with mature bodies and extra experience we will be in good shape.

PS: Someone like Sinclair is capable of playing another 5 years, but who may be pushed out if we actually gain/draft some guns. If Sinclair become the worst player in our best 22 we will have a pretty fair team.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Thu 20 Aug 2020 4:01pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
spert
Saintsational Legend

Rather put effort into Bytel and Byrnes as midfielders and maybe recruit another young ruckman.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

johnearljames wrote: Thu 20 Aug 2020 2:44pm We need an experienced, tough and ball getting mid and now for 2021. Got to get one somewhere. Cunnington might come cheap as he is 30 next year, like Ryder and fit in really well. You would get 3 solid years out of him.

We also need to use our 1st rounder on the best mid available and try get a mid that has been in the system for a couple of years (like Jack Steele was) that will grow and has heaps of potential.

I really don't see Dunstan and Ross getting us into the top 4 or a GF as part of our midfield group. Hanners can't be a guaranteed to play in the middle either so we need an expierenced mid. Must be a priority.
Recruiting someone like Cunnington sends a message that we’re not putting our focus on developing our younger players. Cunnington and Hannebery both on the list - no thanks. Rather draft, trade and develop younger players that can grow as part of a longer term plan.

johnearljames
Club Player

st.byron wrote: Thu 20 Aug 2020 4:08pm
johnearljames wrote: Thu 20 Aug 2020 2:44pm We need an experienced, tough and ball getting mid and now for 2021. Got to get one somewhere. Cunnington might come cheap as he is 30 next year, like Ryder and fit in really well. You would get 3 solid years out of him.

Recruiting someone like Cunnington sends a message that we’re not putting our focus on developing our younger players. Cunnington and Hannebery both on the list - no thanks. Rather draft, trade and develop younger players that can grow as part of a longer term plan.
Both can be done. We need another senior body in the middle big time and for stronger depth. A new draft pick and trade for a developing mid won't achieve that for at least 3-4 years. I highly doubt if Hanners (injuries) and Dunstan and Ross (both ability) will get our midfield to that top 4 bracket.

You do realise we recruited 6 senior footballers last trade period?
It can be done. I would even take Crouch as a FA.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

johnearljames wrote: Thu 20 Aug 2020 5:04pm
st.byron wrote: Thu 20 Aug 2020 4:08pm

Both can be done. We need another senior body in the middle big time and for stronger depth. A new draft pick and trade for a developing mid won't achieve that for at least 3-4 years. I highly doubt if Hanners (injuries) and Dunstan and Ross (both ability) will get our midfield to that top 4 bracket.

You do realise we recruited 6 senior footballers last trade period?
It can be done. I would even take Crouch as a FA.
I hear Bryce Gibbs is available

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

johnearljames wrote: Thu 20 Aug 2020 5:04pm I highly doubt if Hanners (injuries) ........ will get our midfield to that top 4 bracket.

So Cunnington at 29.......

North Melbourne medicos on Thursday abandoned plans to have the two-time best-and-fairest winner return from a painful nerve problem in his back, which had resulted in a lack of strength in his quadriceps.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Would be a really bad decision IMO

Secret Kiel
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Thu 20 Aug 2020 7:39pm Would be a really bad decision IMO
It's rare but I agree with you.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Thu 20 Aug 2020 7:34pm
johnearljames wrote: Thu 20 Aug 2020 5:04pm I highly doubt if Hanners (injuries) ........ will get our midfield to that top 4 bracket.

So Cunnington at 29.......

North Melbourne medicos on Thursday abandoned plans to have the two-time best-and-fairest winner return from a painful nerve problem in his back, which had resulted in a lack of strength in his quadriceps.
Under Richos era he'd be a dead cert to land at Moorabbin.
I'm thinking after the Hannebery & Freeman experiments we may be hun shy at recruiting players with such injury issues and little upside.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.