How the Saints are Winning

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

freely
SS Hall of Fame

How the Saints are Winning

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Re: How the Saints are Winning

Good analysis. Interesting that Wilkie was not a key figure but then he has been consistent since his first game, so he shapes the standard rather than represent a measure of improvement.
I'm becoming a believer in Geary as the 18/19th man now, he can be afforded the flexibility to move from defence to attack and hopefully next, a shut down tagger, should an outside mid accumulator get on top of us, while Steele shuts down the big mids.

It was 'pleasing seeing Carlton move Cripps forward and Docherty to the wing.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Nice article.

I hope ABC know that we got absolutely smashed by Collingwood (40 pts in the context of this season is plenty, is it not?) just a couple of weeks ago.

With the same guys running around, the same coach and the same good vibes. Absolutely wiped out.

Notice anyone in their table of defenders spoils and intercepts? Nathan Gorilla Brown! Looking good!

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Thu 09 Jul 2020 1:16pm Nice article.

I hope ABC know that we got absolutely smashed by Collingwood (40 pts in the context of this season is plenty, is it not?) just a couple of weeks ago.

With the same guys running around, the same coach and the same good vibes. Absolutely wiped out.

Notice anyone in their table of defenders spoils and intercepts? Nathan Gorilla Brown! Looking good!
Yep smashed of a ridiculously short break after a long lay off never going to end well.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Geeez... good article. Interesting stats about the defence. Good to see actual work put into a paper rather than the trash in the Sun

bergsone
SS Life Member

Be nice if those stats stand up all season

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

GWS, Port Adelaide, Geelong and West Coast Eagles (if we play them in Perth) will all probably beat us easily, and Brisbane will too, but if we can win the rest as we should, we will win ten matches and play finals.
We won't finish top four, we'll probably only scrape in to the eight, but once we're there anything can happen.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Munga
Saintsational Legend

Is this detailed analysis of our game stlye available for other clubs or are they just targetting us?

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Thu 09 Jul 2020 1:53pm

GWS, Port Adelaide, Geelong and West Coast Eagles (if we play them in Perth) will all probably beat us easily, and Brisbane will too, but if we can win the rest as we should, we will win ten matches and play finals.
We won't finish top four, we'll probably only scrape in to the eight, but once we're there anything can happen.
Carlton beat Geelong and Port haven't beat anyone of note yet.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Thu 09 Jul 2020 2:14pm

Carlton beat Geelong and Port haven't beat anyone of note yet.
I am going on exposed form - we haven't beaten Port Adelaide anywhere since 2011, and we have only beaten Geelong once in ten years during which time they have given us many hidings. Both of those sides are playing well and would be favorites to beat us. It is up to the players to prove me wrong. Until they do that I am sure Geelong and Port can beat us and beat us easily.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Munga wrote: Thu 09 Jul 2020 2:04pm Is this detailed analysis of our game stlye available for other clubs or are they just targetting us?
All clubs have analysts that watch video of the next opponent.
To see which players run to what spots, the set-ups around stoppages, ball movement out of defence, etc.
Clubs have laid off lots of staff but analysts would seem to be core staff so are safe?

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Secret Kiel
Club Player

bergsone wrote: Thu 09 Jul 2020 1:51pm Be nice if those stats stand up all season
It should get easier to win for the teams that are still trying as it's expected most teams will start tanking shortly.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Thu 09 Jul 2020 2:59pm
Munga wrote: Thu 09 Jul 2020 2:04pm Is this detailed analysis of our game stlye available for other clubs or are they just targetting us?
To see which players run to what spots, the set-ups around stoppages, ball movement out of defence, etc.
Clubs have laid off lots of staff but analysts would seem to be core staff so are safe?
Yeah I get that. It's more about in the media. For example, it just seems that when teams like Geelong or West Coast or Hawthorn are on top that the media never seem to analyse how they win, it's more when clubs like the Bulldogs or St Kilda are up that the media seem to be surprised that they're winning and want to figure out why. I don't remember hearing the media asking Clarkson how they win straegically, but I regularly hear Ratts or Bevo being asked how are they playing well and how they go about it. Kinda like they don't probe the top clubs stratergies because they're expected to be winning, but we aren't expected to and the media have to get to the bottom of it haha.
I don't know, maybe I'm reading to much into it.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

'The Saints have been impressive in big wins over potential finalists Richmond and the Western Bulldogs, but were given a reality check against crisis-riddled Collingwood in round three.'

I think they might have proofread the whole article and checked their context against the title. 'How the Saints are WINNING'.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

I wouldn't be so sure about GWS or WCE.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Thu 09 Jul 2020 3:53pm
bergsone wrote: Thu 09 Jul 2020 1:51pm Be nice if those stats stand up all season
It should get easier to win for the teams that are still trying as it's expected most teams will start tanking shortly.
Tanking? So they can get closer to The Suns in next year's draft, full of kids that haven't played this year.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 09 Jul 2020 4:58pm

'The Saints have been impressive in big wins over potential finalists Richmond and the Western Bulldogs, but were given a reality check against crisis-riddled Collingwood in round three.'

I think they might have proofread the whole article and checked their context against the title. 'How the Saints are WINNING'.
Mnn...never let a headline get in the way of balance..lol

Great article but would have liked to know how we go missing in action. Second halfs vs North and Collingwood, complete capitulation? Outplayed? Out muscled? Fitness? Out coached? That Collingwood game, a 44 pt loss, - we pretty much went down like a led balloon in the second quarter and kicked one more goal for the game.
Three of our best were imports Hill, Butler and Jones and Gresh being the only other old timer except for Carlisle in the best?

Secret Kiel
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 09 Jul 2020 5:12pm
Tanking? So they can get closer to The Suns in next year's draft, full of kids that haven't played this year.
It's going to get ugly. My advice is don't take it too seriously. Hopefully the boys can just use the time to practice and bond and hopefully have a few laughs along the way. Also we can only hope the world gets back to normal by 2022.

https://amp.nine.com.au/article/13eef8f ... b4824e7820

asiu
Saintsational Legend

bit of a fan of the wise tank
at the appropriate time
but

‘most’ ... as in a group tank ?

ummmmmmm

can we hear your reasonings

i’m not sure squibbing it in 2020 is a good plan
but i’m open to convincing

edit .. ta for the link

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Munga wrote: Thu 09 Jul 2020 4:41pm
WellardSaint wrote: Thu 09 Jul 2020 2:59pm
Yeah I get that. It's more about in the media. For example, it just seems that when teams like Geelong or West Coast or Hawthorn are on top that the media never seem to analyse how they win, it's more when clubs like the Bulldogs or St Kilda are up that the media seem to be surprised that they're winning and want to figure out why. I don't remember hearing the media asking Clarkson how they win straegically, but I regularly hear Ratts or Bevo being asked how are they playing well and how they go about it. Kinda like they don't probe the top clubs stratergies because they're expected to be winning, but we aren't expected to and the media have to get to the bottom of it haha.
I don't know, maybe I'm reading to much into it.
I think the discussion might be inspired by the inclusion of Ratten and Rath and a focus on stats that are relative to winning, rather than just applying pressure.
Gut feeling seems to reflect the Richo type strategies of previous years, rating players who were making all the moves but not actually achieving anything with the ball and persisting with that in hope that it will improve.
Finding our deficiencies would have analysed the same data and that data then feeds strategies to fix that.
Again, Rath and Ratten. These stats analyse the whole league.
Fitness and preparation, both physical and mental, are the next big factors.
This year isn't going to be our best, but it is going to mark a reversal in our consistency and give opposition teams something to think about when they play us, rather than banking on us being a pushover after half time, when effort drops off and we'd failed to maximise impact when we have the ball.
Working from an effective defensive strategy, taking the ball from the opposition or nullifying their strategies is the starting point. Then rebounding with skilled players who can deliver results via their disposal gets us ball and keeps it in our possesion. Then it's about how we move it, or who moves it into attack. Hill hasn't even gotten started yet. Other players have stepped up or stepped in, via trades.
Richo just never seemed to get this and massive effort was being thrown back in our faces with shite disposal. Then the heads drop.
Little tweaks in the game plan but the major changes in personel are obvious.
Rath and Ratten again.
I understand the shadows hanging over our last few years but there is a lot to be impressed about the way the changes have been made.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

asiu wrote: Thu 09 Jul 2020 5:40pm
bit of a fan of the wise tank
at the appropriate time
but

‘most’ ... as in a group tank ?

ummmmmmm

can we hear your reasonings

i’m not sure squibbing it in 2020 is a good plan
but i’m open to convincing

edit .. ta for the link
I reckon this quote probably sums up what most clubs are thinking.

"I'm not sure it's about draft picks this year. It might just be about getting your players and athletes ready for a year you can compete meaningfully in next year."

This issue creates even more issues if you are a finalist because it means you could still be required to play in December. Teams that are still crashing about for a bit of slap and tickle in December will put thier 2021 season in jeopardy.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I kind of agree with Ross Llyon when he says this year's flag winner will be flag winner is gonna be a well earned and just winner. Bit like a scrappy game in appalling conditions - there is a winner and loser. When it comes down to it, a lot of pent up frustration will unleash in October or November or whenever and whereever it is....Port Morseby? The Tiwi Islands Grand Final?

Remember, there have been 17 game seasons before. Seasons when a handful of teams competed and I'll take the flag happily. Matter of fact, I think it is gonna be a really interesting battle as we near the end, and teams will fight tenaciously. We should have won in '09 damn it and '10 and this will be some recompense.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Thu 09 Jul 2020 5:14pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 09 Jul 2020 4:58pm

Mnn...never let a headline get in the way of balance..lol

Great article but would have liked to know how we go missing in action. Second halfs vs North and Collingwood, complete capitulation? Outplayed? Out muscled? Fitness? Out coached? That Collingwood game, a 44 pt loss, - we pretty much went down like a led balloon in the second quarter and kicked one more goal for the game.
Three of our best were imports Hill, Butler and Jones and Gresh being the only other old timer except for Carlisle in the best?
That's a different article. This one was about the trades and how we are winning.
Mental capacities take a bit longer to build up. Gresh came with confidence, Carlisle has never lacked it either but injuries (Roberton, McCartin, Geary, Carlisle, Webster) have crippled the younger players confidence and development. There is a bit to overcome but it's not as bad as you are seeing it.

A bad second half again North and a shocking first half against Collingwood but the were s*** and then a lot better in the second half.

We owned a Richmond and didn't capitulate against Carlton.

Ideally we smash Freo and Adelaide. Let's revisit this in 2weeks.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Charlie Sheen.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Thu 09 Jul 2020 5:38pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 09 Jul 2020 5:12pm
It's going to get ugly. My advice is don't take it too seriously. Hopefully the boys can just use the time to practice and bond and hopefully have a few laughs along the way. Also we can only hope the world gets back to normal by 2022.

https://amp.nine.com.au/article/13eef8f ... b4824e7820

Let's take the time to practice, bond, have a few laughs and f****** win. Who cares about anyone else. We are not going to tank. We will have a short off season and a normal preseason. 8 club's will play finals and 2 club's will play a few weeks longer. We have a young list and a few old guys who all have had injury concerns. This year is our development year, we just need to keep winning and get a taste of finals footy.
Rubbish article, flimsy arguments.