From the hun's Tackle

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

From the hun's Tackle

7 THE SAINTS’ UNSUNG HERO

Callum Wilkie largely played on Carlton’s Mitch McGovern on Thursday night and the Blues forwards didn’t have a memorable night. ­Wilkie did.

Much has been written about St Kilda’s bevy of recruits this year but not enough about the rookie from North Adelaide. While he played 22 games last year, he has emerged this year and may already be the Saints’ most important ­defender.

Against the Blues he had 18 disposals, five intercept possessions, and went at 83 per cent kicking efficiency. The week before he took Dustin Martin when he went forward. Martin didn’t kick a goal.

bergsone
SS Life Member

Re: From the hun's Tackle

Keeping Robbo out of the side ,great recruiting

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

thought he emerged last year. has been great from the moment we got him.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Phenomenal footballer. That's it - he's a footballer. Not an athlete. He knows what he's doing and rarely stuffs up or gets beaten.

I've always thought he'd be that type of guy that your mate would one day in 2026 ask you how many games has Wilkie has played and you'd respond "I dunno, 50-odd" ... only to discover he's played 140 straight and not a bad one amongst them.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Munga
Saintsational Legend

Our trading and drafting has been astronomical in recent years, after an abyss previously. It's like we're bipolar in recruiting.
Best and fairest in North Adelaide's premiership year, and runner up B&F the year before. A solid mark, elite kick, hard, intelligent. He's a gun.
This "moneyball" term gets floated around, but geez we've rebuilt well nailing these recruits with late picks. Imagine if we hadn't, it would've been very dark times right now.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I think he’s been heavily celebrated amongst Saints fans especially on this forum.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Our recruitment manager is a former SAlien; local knowledge and unconventional wisdom paid off. Crows really missed an opportunity, fortunately. Shows yet again the draft isn't the only way to get elite talent. I expect that Messers Lethlean and Gallagher will be head hunted, possibly by AFL HQ, certainly by Eddie the Hypocrite. Hopefully they will hang around Moorabbin for a long time and create a dynasty of success.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Munga wrote: Mon 06 Jul 2020 6:17pm Our trading and drafting has been astronomical in recent years, after an abyss previously. It's like we're bipolar in recruiting.
Best and fairest in North Adelaide's premiership year, and runner up B&F the year before. A solid mark, elite kick, hard, intelligent. He's a gun.
This "moneyball" term gets floated around, but geez we've rebuilt well nailing these recruits with late picks. Imagine if we hadn't, it would've been very dark times right now.
Keep in mind we drafted mature aged recruits Parker, Young & Hind and traded for Kent & Hanners before selecting Wilkie as a rookie :shock:

Fair to say our selectors ranked Parker, Young & Hind ahead of Wilkie and no other club rated him worthy of a draft pick.

I doubt even Wilkies parent could have dreamed that he would have this type of impact at AFL level, some guys are just cut out for the big time. Tom Stewart at Geelong was similar, came into the AFL as a mature aged recruit and just slotted in from game 1.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Mon 06 Jul 2020 7:10pm
I doubt even Wilkies parent could have dreamed that he would have this type of impact at AFL level, some guys are just cut out for the big time. Tom Stewart at Geelong was similar, came into the AFL as a mature aged recruit and just slotted in from game 1.
Life can really be a mystery sometimes.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I guess he is on low coin? Or did he benefit from our enforced budget?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Darth Vader
Club Player

Good to see the media “experts” waking up to what we’ve known for over a year.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

My new Favourite

Nee!
stkfc1
Club Player

Gun. Absolute gun. Can't think of anyone beating him. So composed. He must give the rest of the back 6 a heap of confidence having him out there.
Is he a future Captain? Wouldn't rule it out.
He's just made for the big time.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

stkfc1 wrote: Mon 06 Jul 2020 10:08pm Is he a future Captain? Wouldn't rule it out.
I could definitely see him as the captain.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Munga wrote: Mon 06 Jul 2020 6:17pm Our trading and drafting has been astronomical in recent years, after an abyss previously. It's like we're bipolar in recruiting.
Keep in mind we drafted mature aged recruits Parker, Young & Hind and traded for Kent & Hanners before selecting Wilkie as a rookie :shock:

Fair to say our selectors ranked Parker, Young & Hind ahead of Wilkie and no other club rated him worthy of a draft pick.

Was it true that we were interested in taking Mitch McCarthy before Rohan Marshall in the 2016 rookie draft? That’s what I remember at the time.

McCarthy was taken by Collingwood at pick 7 and the Saints picked up Rohan at pick 10. McCarthy was delisted after only one season.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/why ... rwovg.html

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

bergsone wrote: Mon 06 Jul 2020 11:32am Keeping Robbo out of the side ,great recruiting
I think that it is more that Coffield who is keeping Robbo out. Both Robbo and Coffield are more your attacking
defenders with good run and kicking to set up play.

Wilkie is more a defending who locks down on a forward as well as being an intercept mark.

All 3 are good at intercept marking.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Mon 06 Jul 2020 11:27am 7 THE SAINTS’ UNSUNG HERO

Callum Wilkie largely played on Carlton’s Mitch McGovern on Thursday night and the Blues forwards didn’t have a memorable night. ­Wilkie did.

Much has been written about St Kilda’s bevy of recruits this year but not enough about the rookie from North Adelaide. While he played 22 games last year, he has emerged this year and may already be the Saints’ most important ­defender.

Against the Blues he had 18 disposals, five intercept possessions, and went at 83 per cent kicking efficiency. The week before he took Dustin Martin when he went forward. Martin didn’t kick a goal.
It only took Wilkie one game to become a walk up start first 22 player. Now that is rare.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintbob
SS Life Member

Wilkie is the new version of Jason Blake, always one of the first picked and rarely lets you down.

ace
Saintsational Legend

He has become the preferred player for the kick in because he kicks straight and gets the depth of kick right.
I don't think those kick ins count as possessions but a good kick-in is as good as a good possession.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
minneapolis
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Mon 06 Jul 2020 12:47pm Phenomenal footballer. That's it - he's a footballer. Not an athlete. He knows what he's doing and rarely stuffs up or gets beaten.

I've always thought he'd be that type of guy that your mate would one day in 2026 ask you how many games has Wilkie has played and you'd respond "I dunno, 50-odd" ... only to discover he's played 140 straight and not a bad one amongst them.
Could he be the guy that overtakes Newnes consecutive games record?

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Mon 06 Jul 2020 10:44pm

Was it true that we were interested in taking Mitch McCarthy before Rohan Marshall in the 2016 rookie draft? That’s what I remember at the time.

McCarthy was taken by Collingwood at pick 7 and the Saints picked up Rohan at pick 10. McCarthy was delisted after only one season.

Wow, never knew that, thanks for the link.

Interesting to note #2 & #6 in last years B&F were both off the rookie list, with Wilkie a little more mature aged.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

We were extremely keen on McCarthy as a Cat B rookie. He could play but had a serious ankle or foot injury in his first season at Collingwood which basically wiped him out.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Tue 07 Jul 2020 8:46am

We were extremely keen on McCarthy as a Cat B rookie. He could play but had a serious ankle or foot injury in his first season at Collingwood which basically wiped him out.
So do you reckon we would have taken him before Rohan? They were saying that on the radio at the time.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Tue 07 Jul 2020 12:11pm

So do you reckon we would have taken him before Rohan? They were saying that on the radio at the time.
He was highly rated and he would have come for free due to being Cat B. Unsure if we could have taken both maybe.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Tue 07 Jul 2020 12:19pm
SaintPav wrote: Tue 07 Jul 2020 12:11pm

He was highly rated and he would have come for free due to being Cat B. Unsure if we could have taken both maybe.
Thank you, CURLY.