Saints boast new midfield riches

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sanctorum
Club Player

Saints boast new midfield riches

I'm not sure if the following article has been published on this forum, it came out in the Oz on Feb 17th:

"By Jon Ralph - Herald Sun
St Kilda will showcase most of its new-look midfield in Thursday’s pre-season opener, with coach Brett Ratten boasting enviable competition for on-ball positions.

The Saints take on Hawthorn at Moorabbin at 7.10pm in the opening Marsh Community Series game in Ratten’s first official hitout as the new senior coach.
Much of the attention at last week’s intra-club game focused on Max King’s four goals as a forward, but the Saints’ midfield stocks are also vastly improved.

Like most of the club’s first choice players, Dan Hannebery will play two of the three pre-season games after playing a full intra-club contest.

St Kilda have two Marsh Series games that bookend a bushfire relief fundraiser on Friday week against Hawthorn in Morwell, which the Saints will use as a fullyfledged pre-season contest.

Last year was disastrous on the injury front, with No 4 draft pick King mostly injured or in rehab, Hannebery continually breaking down and Dylan Roberton ruled out with a heart complaint.

But St Kilda believe every one of their senior listed players apart from Matt Parker will be fit to play two of the trio of games in the next three weeks. Matt Parker (ankle reconstruction) is still working back to full fitness but should be ready to play in the final Marsh Community Series game. Only Category B rookie Sam Alabakis and the November rookie draft’s No 5 pick Jack Bell are not fit for pre-season action.

Seb Ross played a half last week on his way back from a minor calf issue, while Bradley Hill is available for Thursday’s clash despite missing last week’s match with a corked leg.

That trio join Jack Billings, Zak Jones, Hunter Clark, Jack Steele, Luke Dunstan and mid-forward Jade Gresham in a midfield with new-found depth.

Whether all those players fit into the side for Round 1 against North Melbourne remains to be seen, which is why St Kilda’s preseason contests will be instructive.

Paddy Ryder has missed some practice sessions with knee soreness since crossing from Port Adelaide, but is likely to play in Thursday’s match. Captain Jarryn Geary is still easing back into training after calf issues and a broken leg, but should play two games in the lead-in to Round 1.

St Kilda have a wealth of tall options, with Roberton fit to play alongside Dougal Howard, Jake Carlisle, Cal Wilkie and Nathan Brown, with Josh Battle a swingman comfortable at both ends."

Jon Ralph has as far as I recall rarely if ever reported positively about the Saints, so perhaps he has jumped on the bandwagon too!

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints boast new midfield riches

Nobody else on here worried about Hannebury and the fact that he still hasn't had a solid hitout?

I reckon this is a major concern given Steven has left.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Sat 29 Feb 2020 3:42pm Nobody else on here worried about Hannebury and the fact that he still hasn't had a solid hitout?

Doubt many are the least bit surprised

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sat 29 Feb 2020 3:45pm
samuraisaint wrote: Sat 29 Feb 2020 3:42pm Nobody else on here worried about Hannebury and the fact that he still hasn't had a solid hitout?

Doubt many are the least bit surprised
Ain't that the sad truth.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Not too concerned with Hanners ... He played the intraclub and pulled up ok, s tad sore and was rested for these 2 games with a view to play the next one. I reckon it's good management strategy, he's like Hill. He doesn't need to play to get his head back in the game. It is more about his physical readiness. We've got him for several more years and need to have him optimal. If he doesn't play the next game I will be asking questions.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

SAINT-LEE wrote: Sat 29 Feb 2020 7:50pm Not too concerned with Hanners ... He played the intraclub and pulled up ok, s tad sore and was rested for these 2 games with a view to play the next one. I reckon it's good management strategy, he's like Hill. He doesn't need to play to get his head back in the game. It is more about his physical readiness. We've got him for several more years and need to have him optimal. If he doesn't play the next game I will be asking questions.
If he doesn't play next week against Collingwood then I don't think any of us will be asking questions - I reckon our questions will well and truly be answered. No Dan Hannebury for Round 1, which is what I originally predicted when he fractured his foot back in November.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Sun 01 Mar 2020 1:38pm
SAINT-LEE wrote: Sat 29 Feb 2020 7:50pm Not too concerned with Hanners ... He played the intraclub and pulled up ok, s tad sore and was rested for these 2 games with a view to play the next one. I reckon it's good management strategy, he's like Hill. He doesn't need to play to get his head back in the game. It is more about his physical readiness. We've got him for several more years and need to have him optimal. If he doesn't play the next game I will be asking questions.
If he doesn't play next week against Collingwood then I don't think any of us will be asking questions - I reckon our questions will well and truly be answered. No Dan Hannebury for Round 1, which is what I originally predicted when he fractured his foot back in November.
Cause he fractured his foot?

Or just because?

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Secret Kiel
Club Player

Sinclair will roll through the midfield occasionally too you'd think.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Hardly midfield riches.

We still have the same issue of our players in the middle who get high numbers of possessions turning the ball over - I don't want to single players out on a fan site as it isn't fair - but those issues have not been worked out over the summer from where I sit.

Arguably our best mid is still under a massive injury cloud.

Our best player who played in the midfield and our best full forward cum ruck rover have left over the trade period. This makes our new midfield even, it doesn't present us with new midfield riches at all.

Conversely though I supported all of the trades and like who we've brought in. We still must bring in an elite midfielder in the next trade period. This is a must.

I think our skill level is still highly questionable and this was highlighted against the Hawks in Morwell.

There are still a lot more questions than answers, although some of those questions will be answered emphatically tomorrow evening and in Round 1 against North who have had the wood over us for eight seasons.

The main question for me is; will these new players we have recruited and the new coaches brought in be able to bring about a higher benchmark to the way we play, or will our remaining players from last year's list ultimately set the benchmark.

We certainly have more X-factor than we had under Richo, and this will make us less predictable. I see us controlling the tempo of our games for longer in 2020, and then opening games up in blistering high scoring periods of games, like the gas has suddenly been turned and the blowtorch applied to our opponents. It may not be consistent this season though.
Last edited by samuraisaint on Sat 07 Mar 2020 4:50pm, edited 4 times in total.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Sun 01 Mar 2020 10:23pm
samuraisaint wrote: Sun 01 Mar 2020 1:38pm
Cause he fractured his foot?

Or just because?
Because if he doesn't play we'll know that he is still suffering from his foot injury and he may not play many matches for us in the front half of the season. I hope he does play tomorrow because he'll provide us with a massive upside if he can play regularly and get match conditioned.