How many true State of Origin players do we have ?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

If there were a true State of Origin carnival , how many reps would we have ?

Hill would be in the WA squad
Marshall probably makes the Vic squad
...and I reckon thats it.

Im not sure any of our other Vic Players would be good enough. Billings goal kicking sees him miss out, and there are classier alternatives than Ross & Gresh.
Wilkie is maybe still a year away from making an SA squad

Compare that to the glory years of 2009/10
Vic squad - Goddard, Dal, Joey, Milne
SA - Fisher
Allies - Reiwoldt, Lenny
..and there were others you could argue were close.

I like that our depth is stronger this year, but we still lack star power - which puts us around the mark to make finals, but If we want to go deep in Sept, then we need to find another 3 or so stars. Clark, Coff & King the obvious contenders ,

Who are some smokeys over the next 2-3 of years that could develop into stars

“If you want the rainbow you gotta put up with rain” Dolly Parton
older saint
SS Life Member

Re: How many true State of Origin players do we have ?

Think your on the money. Marshall competes with Goldstein and Gawn , probably gets in as second ruck because he can go forward.
Hill Yes
No one else though

DJ Higgins
Club Player

I hope it's only those two.injuries always occur bit other teams have more depth than us. IE tigers won with no Rance. I'm hoping that those two play well and walk away unscathed.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I hope we have zero players at the Jihad game playing for either side. Just need to focus on us and our preseason preparation without this nonsense.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Gresham and Hill named.

Hill and Gresham selected for State of Origin… https://www.saints.com.au/news/564974/

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Would have 100% had Billings Marshall and Membry.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
saynta
Saintsational Legend

https://www.saints.com.au/news/564974/h ... -of-origin

"Bradley Hill and Jade Gresham have been selected for the star-studded State of Origin Bushfire Game.

The two teammates will turn rivals next Friday night, with Hill representing the All Stars and Gresham, Victoria.

Both were hand-picked by respective coaches John Longmire and Damien Hardwick to star alongside the competition’s best players.

Next week’s event will raise funds for those affected by the ongoing bushfire crisis, with all proceeds raised supporting local footy clubs and communities in fire-affected areas.

Senior coach and three-time Victorian representative, Brett Ratten, said he was delighted to see the pair take to the field.

“It’s a great opportunity for Gresh and Hilly to play alongside the best players in our game,” Ratten told saints.com.au

“There is something very special about representative footy and this game in particular, is about so much more.”

With a practice match scheduled against Hawthorn on the same night in Morwell, it will have very little impact on what we would have planned for these guys in regard to their preparation for Round 1.

- Brett Ratten

Hill and Gresham will be the first to represent the Saints under the State of Origin banner since 1999, where Nathan Burke, Peter Everitt and Andrew Thompson donned the Big V.

The State of Origin Bushfire Game will take place on Friday 28 February at Marvel Stadium."

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Really surprised Marshall missed out.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote: Tue 18 Feb 2020 5:46pm Really surprised Marshall missed out.
I am not - I would hazard a guess that he was made "Un-available". I would be thinking that of all the positions that we could least afford to lose a player combined with the higher risk of the position (you can't really go half pace in the ruck) - Marshall would be our concern to wrap him in cotton wool!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Tue 18 Feb 2020 5:49pm
I am not - I would hazard a guess that he was made "Un-available". I would be thinking that of all the positions that we could least afford to lose a player combined with the higher risk of the position (you can't really go half pace in the ruck) - Marshall would be our concern to wrap him in cotton wool!
Cut this BS of losing a player to injury.

Makes no difference if you play a tokenism State of Origin or normal practice match - both should be the same (lack of) intensity.

I’d be disappointed if the State of Origin game was played like a normal game. It should be bruise free AFLX style play. High scoring and limited tackling. I mean, how can anyone think of it as anything but a joke when one of the teams is the All Stars

I hope there is a poor crowd. Enough fundraising has been done already from the public purse (most of which is sitting in trust accounts earning 0.9% interest and not helping those that need it most).

There are many other worthy causes that still need public donations.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote: Wed 19 Feb 2020 2:42pm

Makes no difference if you play a tokenism State of Origin or normal practice match - both should be the same (lack of) intensity.

I’d be disappointed if the State of Origin game was played like a normal game. It should be bruise free AFLX style play. High scoring and limited tackling. I mean, how can anyone think of it as anything but a joke when one of the teams is the All Stars

I hope there is a poor crowd. Enough fundraising has been done already from the public purse (most of which is sitting in trust accounts earning 0.9% interest and not helping those that need it most).
Or deducted as admin costs.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Zed wrote: Mon 17 Feb 2020 5:59pm
Who are some smokeys over the next 2-3 of years that could develop into stars
Bytel's the smokey for mine. Also, if it hadn't been for the heart issues, Roberton might've made AA by now, I reckon.

Nick_BlueNRG
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote: Wed 19 Feb 2020 2:42pm

There are many other worthy causes that still need public donations.
Are you for real saintspremiers??

(M)ake (S)t Kilda (S)elf (S)ustainable
freely
SS Hall of Fame

Turns out we have two! Hill and Gresh!