Ryder has trimmed up...or down

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Ryder has trimmed up...or down

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 45dcfbac46

All five of St Kilda’s new recruits have hit the ground running at Moorabbin, with a trimmed up Paddy Ryder set to provide young gun Rowan Marshall a chop out in the ruck as the likes of Brad Hill and Zak Jones add a harder, faster edge.

St Kilda is set to unveil all five new faces from last year’s blockbuster trade period across two pre-season games against Hawthorn later this month.

Star recruits Brad Hill, Zak Jones, Paddy Ryder, Dan Butler and Dougal Howard are all expected to be available for selection in the first two games of the year under new coach Brett Ratten.

Former Swan Daniel Hannebery and gun defender Dylan Roberton, who is back from a career-threatening heart problem, are also in the selection mix.

The Saints will take on the Hawks at RSEA Park next Thursday night in a clash which could draw as many as 10,000 fans to Moorabbin, followed by a bushfire fundraiser scratch match against Alastair Clarkson’s troops in Morwell on February 28.

St Kilda enjoyed a brilliant trade period last season, adding an explosive edge and more physicality to its midfield unit.

Football manager Simon Lethlean said the club was pleased with the shape of the squad heading into the pre-season matches.

“We have pretty good availability, but there are a few guys who won’t play full minutes (in the pre-season games),” Lethlean said.

“At this stage there will some management with Ryder across the course of the year but all of those (new) guys are in full training at the moment.”

However, gun ruckman Rowan Marshall, Western Australian Hill and playmakers Jack Billings and Jade Gresham are all a chance to play in the State of Origin bushfire relief game instead of the second game against the Hawks.

The Saints are still waiting for confirmation on which players will be selected for Victoria and the All-Stars at Marvel Stadium.

Encouragingly for the Saints, the injury list is relatively short.

Captain Jarryn Geary (leg), Seb Ross (calf) and Matt Parker (ankle) are all on modified programs as they work their way back from injuries.

Ryder has also lost at least four kilograms to preserve his mobility heading into his 14th season after passing up the chance to return to Essendon late last year.

At St Kilda, Ryder will work in tandem with Marshall, who is tipped to replace injured Melbourne big man Max Gawn in the State of Origin bushfire relief game."

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ryder has trimmed up...or down

saynta wrote: Thu 13 Feb 2020 10:22am https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 45dcfbac46

All five of St Kilda’s new recruits have hit the ground running at Moorabbin, with a trimmed up Paddy Ryder set to provide young gun Rowan Marshall a chop out in the ruck as the likes of Brad Hill and Zak Jones add a harder, faster edge.

St Kilda is set to unveil all five new faces from last year’s blockbuster trade period across two pre-season games against Hawthorn later this month.

Star recruits Brad Hill, Zak Jones, Paddy Ryder, Dan Butler and Dougal Howard are all expected to be available for selection in the first two games of the year under new coach Brett Ratten.

Former Swan Daniel Hannebery and gun defender Dylan Roberton, who is back from a career-threatening heart problem, are also in the selection mix.

The Saints will take on the Hawks at RSEA Park next Thursday night in a clash which could draw as many as 10,000 fans to Moorabbin, followed by a bushfire fundraiser scratch match against Alastair Clarkson’s troops in Morwell on February 28.

St Kilda enjoyed a brilliant trade period last season, adding an explosive edge and more physicality to its midfield unit.

Football manager Simon Lethlean said the club was pleased with the shape of the squad heading into the pre-season matches.

“We have pretty good availability, but there are a few guys who won’t play full minutes (in the pre-season games),” Lethlean said.

“At this stage there will some management with Ryder across the course of the year but all of those (new) guys are in full training at the moment.”

However, gun ruckman Rowan Marshall, Western Australian Hill and playmakers Jack Billings and Jade Gresham are all a chance to play in the State of Origin bushfire relief game instead of the second game against the Hawks.

The Saints are still waiting for confirmation on which players will be selected for Victoria and the All-Stars at Marvel Stadium.

Captain Jarryn Geary (leg), Seb Ross (calf) and Matt Parker (ankle) are all on modified programs as they work their way back from injuries.

Ryder has also lost at least four kilograms to preserve his mobility heading into his 14th season after passing up the chance to return to Essendon late last year.

At St Kilda, Ryder will work in tandem with Marshall, who is tipped to replace injured Melbourne big man Max Gawn in the State of Origin bushfire relief game."
Well Ryder dieting and trimming down is great news, I saw him last year and he was fat and slow as I wrote below.

He is now a saint as much as I did not want him recruited but if he is to have a positive influence at least by trimming down and getting extremely fit you are giving yourself the best opportunity.
Joffa Burns wrote: Sat 21 Sep 2019 10:40pm Stupidity!

Ryder makes Hannebery look like a rock solid great trade.
Absolutely ridiculous.

Fat, immobile has been.

And we thought Hannebery was broken down & past his best, wait until we see the guy that used to be Paddy Ryder.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Sun 16 Feb 2020 11:31am
saynta wrote: Thu 13 Feb 2020 10:22am https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 45dcfbac46

Well Ryder dieting and trimming down is great news, I saw him last year and he was fat and slow as I wrote below.

He is now a saint as much as I did not want him recruited but if he is to have a positive influence at least by trimming down and getting extremely fit you are giving yourself the best opportunity.
Joffa Burns wrote: Sat 21 Sep 2019 10:40pm Stupidity!

Ryder makes Hannebery look like a rock solid great trade.
Absolutely ridiculous.

Fat, immobile has been.

And we thought Hannebery was broken down & past his best, wait until we see the guy that used to be Paddy Ryder.
:D

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

If Goldy plays round 1 then I expect Paddy to Ruck as Goldy smashes Marshall last year. Too experienced for Rowan. Too smart. Goldy was 3rd best ruckman last year. I expect Marshall to play CHF and relief ruck. CHF still has him patrolling the wings for the release kick. Ryder to rest on the bench when Marshall rucks and we might see the ultimate Utlity Josh Battle swing time CHF during these stints. I think Josh will rotate back, mid, forward and bench the whole game to facilitate rests and rotations.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote: Mon 17 Feb 2020 1:28pm If Goldy plays round 1 then I expect Paddy to Ruck as Goldy smashes Marshall last year. Too experienced for Rowan. Too smart. Goldy was 3rd best ruckman last year. I expect Marshall to play CHF and relief ruck. CHF still has him patrolling the wings for the release kick. Ryder to rest on the bench when Marshall rucks and we might see the ultimate Utlity Josh Battle swing time CHF during these stints. I think Josh will rotate back, mid, forward and bench the whole game to facilitate rests and rotations.
Pretty hard on a kid with 20 games to be expected to rotate like that IMO.
You would ideally like him to settle back or forward while he learns the AFL craft.

With Ryder and Howard looking like walk up starts Josh is the one most likely pushed out of a permanent slot.
I personally would like to see him play high forward due to his endurance.
I don't subscribe to the wing theory as he is very average below his knees.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.