Ross Lyon after today

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ross Lyon after today

Con Gorozidis wrote:A clarkson 3 flags.

anyone who tries to argue lyon is the best of the current coaches is seriously deluded and deranged.
Which is no-one. I can't remember one person on here doing that.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:

anyone who tries to argue lyon is the best of the current coaches is seriously deluded and deranged.
Well rohan connolly said just last week that RL was 'the best coach of the modern era.' So there is one.

So whats the point of this thread and why is it 39 pages long.. Whether he is average or a bit above average? Who cares.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

no matter what way we try to paint it three of our eight quarters in grand finals were absolute cr#p under Lyon. To not kick 1 lousy goal in the final quarter against Geelong, and 1 in a half against Collingwood in the replay was garbage - and you could probably say that it was actually five of our quarters, because we allowed Collingwood to get a 5 goal lead in GF #1.
When we win one, I want it to be by 6 goals, then you know you've really won it.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:So whats the point of this thread and why is it 39 pages long.. Who cares.
We do… sad lonely saints fans arguing about the past. It's my first choice weekend activity.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
dragit wrote:

Well rohan connolly said just last week that RL was 'the best coach of the modern era.' So there is one.

So whats the point of this thread and why is it 39 pages long.. Whether he is average or a bit above average? Who cares.
I guess it's subjective...he's probably saying he gets more out of less list than Clarko. They didn't look any worse under Bolton or what ever his name is. Hawthorn have an incredible list. Freo are probably about 5th to 6th on the quality of their list IMO but they still go deep into finals. Hawks and Sydney obviously next then port. I would think his list is around norths or WCEs standard but gets more from what he has at hand.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
dragit wrote:

I guess it's subjective...he's probably saying he gets more out of less list than Clarko. They didn't look any worse under Bolton or what ever his name is. Hawthorn have an incredible list. Freo are probably about 5th to 6th on the quality of their list IMO but they still go deep into finals. Hawks and Sydney obviously next then port. I would think his list is around norths or WCEs standard but gets more from what he has at hand.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Freo will be looking to move him on when they don't make the second week of the finals in 2015.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
dragit wrote:

If RC is saying RL gets more out of a list than Clarkson he is deranged and deluded. Simple as that.

I cant believe people feel compelled to argue about this. How can you just say 'Hawthorn has an incredible list' - they won in 08 and only 5 of those blokes were out there today. So its not like hes just dining out on one list. Hes built two lists from scratch and won 3 flags. Rating Lyon over Clarkson and trying to come up with some convuluted to theory to explain it is just plain absurd.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Seriously.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

This thread needs to be shut down.
The whole thread is a waste of time.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Lyon stares at mediocrity when his list ages, so he bails, on the other hand, Clarkson just builds another list and wins another flag
That is the difference

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

One stat that blew me away

Hawks kicked 418 goals this year. Next best 362 (Port)

Thats 3 more goals every game than the next best.

They really blew everyone away on the scoreboard all year.

So much for 'defence wins you flags'.

Lyon is still stuck in 05. He has shown he cant adapt or change.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:This thread needs to be shut down.

But yet you continue to post....

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:This thread needs to be shut down.

But yet you continue to post....
I know. That proves it needs to be shut down ! Cut off the supply chain :D

andrewg
Club Player

Will Ross ever coach a team that score 132 points in a a grand final. He would have struggled to beat Sydney yesterday....his game plan would have kept them in it and in the end 74 points might have done it. We all know his defensive mind set is out of fashion...IMO he is done at Freo and will coach GWS in 2016

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Hawks averaged 17 goals per game this year.
Port 15.

Lyon couldnt even imagine that. Let alone coach it.

andrewg
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:Hawks averaged 17 goals per game this year.
Port 15.

Exactly

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

andrewg wrote:
Port 15.

Exactly

Totally agree with the side he coached.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
andrewg wrote:
Port 15.

Exactly

You do realise he has been a Senior coach for 8 years right?
So what do you mean 'the side he coached'??? Which side exactly.
He has coached many different sides.

None good enough because hes not good enough.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
andrewg wrote:
Port 15.

Exactly

You do realise we kicked more goals than Port in 2009 than they did this year so I think the side matters. Freo were never going to kick big scores like the Hawks so you need to coach the side differently. If footy was as simple as just kicking more goals than other sides then anyone could coach. Is AR a negative coach because we only kicked 212 goals this year?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
andrewg wrote:
Port 15.

Exactly

You do realise we kicked more goals than Port in 2009 than they did this year so I think the side matters. Freo were never going to kick big scores like the Hawks so you need to coach the side differently. If footy was as simple as just kicking more goals than other sides then anyone could coach. Is AR a negative coach because we only kicked 212 goals this year?
1.Port kicked more goals this year (362) than us in 09 (350) and still only finished 3rd. So not good enough.
2. If AR sides only kick 212 goals for the next 7 years. Then yes he will be a terrible negative coach.
3. The Hawks list has not been set in stone. It has changed drastically over the last eight years. So you cant just say 'they have a good list. They have had 8 separate lists. Ross Lyon has had his chances at 8 separate lists.
4. If it comforts you or makes you happy to believe RL is a great coach. Then go on believing it. But we need to close this thread. It is all just based on peoples irrational emotional cuddle blankets.

Really for some people (and im not a psychologist so i dont know why), they get comfort from thinking that we had a great side in 09 and RL was a great coach. I'm not sure why this comforts people - but it does. Maybe it soothes peoples insecurities. I'm not sure. Thats why this whole thread has become a waste of time. Some people want to believe or feel that and will keep doing so regardless of any discussion had on here. It has become a purely emotive discussion. The mods should send this thread to the AE. Its run its course.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
andrewg wrote:
Port 15.

Exactly

1.Port kicked more goals this year (362) than us in 09 (350) and still only finished 3rd. So not good enough.
2. If AR sides only kick 212 goals for the next 7 years. Then yes he will be a terrible negative coach.
3. The Hawks list has not been set in stone. It has changed drastically over the last eight years. So you cant just say 'they have a good list. They have had 8 separate lists. Ross Lyon has had his chances at 8 separate lists.
4. If it comforts you or makes you happy to believe RL is a great coach. Then go on believing it. But we need to close this thread. It is all just based on peoples irrational emotional cuddle blankets.

Really for some people (and im not a psychologist so i dont know why), they get comfort from thinking that we had a great side in 09 and RL was a great coach. I'm not sure why this comforts people - but it does. Maybe it soothes peoples insecurities. I'm not sure. Thats why this whole thread has become a waste of time. Some people want to believe or feel that and will keep doing so regardless of any discussion had on here. It has become a purely emotive discussion. The mods should send this thread to the AE. Its run its course.
Isnt it funny that the people who don't rate RL coaching think the people who did in 09 and 10 have the psychological issues when it is the RL haters who always seem to start these stupid threads. maybe you need to look at their issues as well. And why should the thread be moved? Its is getting more responses and looks at than most threads. Is it because you don't like it or because it goes on and off topic like just about every thread. It will go down the list once people don't want to reply anymore. At the moment you seem to want to reply even if is to say you don't want to reply. I do know that you do like to move though so that maybe the reason for you to suggest this thread is moved.

defacto
Club Player

i'd say that things are about to get bad fast for freo. ross has said mcpharlin is likely to stay on. its the first indication they will not get frawley.

i agree with watters sentiments today when he said unless freo get a big fish this off-season they are done

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
andrewg wrote:
Port 15.

Exactly

Isnt it funny that the people who don't rate RL coaching think the people who did in 09 and 10 have the psychological issues when it is the RL haters who always seem to start these stupid threads. maybe you need to look at their issues as well. And why should the thread be moved? Its is getting more responses and looks at than most threads. Is it because you don't like it or because it goes on and off topic like just about every thread. It will go down the list once people don't want to reply anymore. At the moment you seem to want to reply even if is to say you don't want to reply. I do know that you do like to move though so that maybe the reason for you to suggest this thread is moved.
I started the tread on his future. Look at the thread title.
But others like your good self dragged it into a navel gazing exercise about how great we were in 09.
So you actually just proved my point.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
andrewg wrote:
Port 15.

Exactly

I started the tread on his future. Look at the thread title.
But others like your good self dragged it into a navel gazing exercise about how great we were in 09.
So you actually just proved my point.

Yes Con that makes sense because the RL never went back to 2009. Matter of fact the first person who brought up 2009 was one of those RL haters. Your bias doesn't even allow you to see both sides. And you also keep posting.