Minchington signed by Hawks

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: Minchington signed by Hawks

I’m happy we got rid of meatball.

Was doing nothing for us.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Sun 04 Nov 2018 7:39am
dragit wrote: Sun 04 Nov 2018 12:28am
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Sat 03 Nov 2018 1:22pm No Joffa.

Kent is actually not a punt and I should reiterate. Kent has played over 60 games and kicked the same amount of goals. He played all of 2016 and would have the last 2 seasons barring injuries. Kent also played 13 and 15 games in his first 2 seasons. A late draft pick was used on him (which was surplus to draft night requirements) as he was still going to be with Melbourne next year. The stats prove he can play out a season when fit. Kent has played 1 less year than Minch. 3 years gives him time and it was a teaser to get him to nominate the Saints...so it was very astute trading.

Minch has only played 20 odd games and has only played over 5 games in a single year (2013). He averages 11 disposals and kicked 22 for his career. He has been on the Saints list for 7 seasons.

Pretty sure we know who the actual punt is based on the above facts and the real world. Its as clear as a bottle of vodka.

People are dreaming if they think Minch was going to play 20 games for the year and start averaging 15-20 disposals. I can understand why Hawthorn took a punt on him as he could fill gaps when required. The Saints needed to rejuvenate their list and let go the fringe players not getting us anywhere. Minch was a good kid, but there comes a time when players need to be let go. Similar to Goddard and Freeman.
This post doesn't actually make any sense at all, both players are fringe, one had to be traded for and was signed for 3 years on a decent contract and the other cost nothing in picks and will be on minimum wage for less time.

Kent is absolutely a punt, minchington is a free hit.
Think you have generalised a bit there. Kent is fringe best 22 (in a better side), Minch is fringe best 35. Melbourne wanted to keep Kent, so Saints had to trade, very late pick though that they wouldn't have used anyway. Saints didn't want Minch, so Hawks got him without using a pick. Even by player ratings, Kent is rated higher so just based on that, would be a better chance of success, hence on a longer & better contract than Minch. Minch is not a free hit, still gets paid and takes up a spot.

So a punt by both clubs, with Kent a better chance of success, going by player's stats and ratings. I think Saints recruited Kent to play a role in the seniors, whereas imo Hawks recruited Minch as a backup.

All trading is a punt, Hawks took a huge punt with Scully, even Bombers took a punt with Shiel - cost a fortune, and if he is only a reasonable player for bombers, that is a fail. We won't really know the results of all these "punts" for a year or 3.
I think you are arguing semantics with talk of 'fringe level'

Melbourne haven't been a better side until this year. Kent will be the only player on the list with a W/L rate worse than Richo.

Both players are injury prone small forwards who have been in the system for many years and can't hold down a regular spot playing AFL. I don't think either player will make a significant impact, but hopefully I am wrong with Kent because we have him for 3 years regardless.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

He is arguing for the sake of arguing and defending the club....If Shiel is a punt, I'd rather punt with more money on the Group 1 winning performers at low odds rather than the outsiders

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

At the end of the day, Kent has far, far, far more upside and will help take us somewhere where as Minchington never would have.

They shouldn't be compared anyway as Kent is a much better footballer and had a more fruitful career. Not sure why it started.

Minchington is a Datsun where as Kent is an Audi Quattro from the 1980's...if you want to start comparing.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote: Sun 04 Nov 2018 9:30am
takeaway wrote: Sun 04 Nov 2018 7:39am
dragit wrote: Sun 04 Nov 2018 12:28am

Kent is actually not a punt and I should reiterate. Kent has played over 60 games and kicked the same amount of goals. He played all of 2016 and would have the last 2 seasons barring injuries. Kent also played 13 and 15 games in his first 2 seasons. A late draft pick was used on him (which was surplus to draft night requirements) as he was still going to be with Melbourne next year. The stats prove he can play out a season when fit. Kent has played 1 less year than Minch. 3 years gives him time and it was a teaser to get him to nominate the Saints...so it was very astute trading.

Minch has only played 20 odd games and has only played over 5 games in a single year (2013). He averages 11 disposals and kicked 22 for his career. He has been on the Saints list for 7 seasons.

Pretty sure we know who the actual punt is based on the above facts and the real world. Its as clear as a bottle of vodka.

People are dreaming if they think Minch was going to play 20 games for the year and start averaging 15-20 disposals. I can understand why Hawthorn took a punt on him as he could fill gaps when required. The Saints needed to rejuvenate their list and let go the fringe players not getting us anywhere. Minch was a good kid, but there comes a time when players need to be let go. Similar to Goddard and Freeman.
This post doesn't actually make any sense at all, both players are fringe, one had to be traded for and was signed for 3 years on a decent contract and the other cost nothing in picks and will be on minimum wage for less time.

Kent is absolutely a punt, minchington is a free hit.
Think you have generalised a bit there. Kent is fringe best 22 (in a better side), Minch is fringe best 35. Melbourne wanted to keep Kent, so Saints had to trade, very late pick though that they wouldn't have used anyway. Saints didn't want Minch, so Hawks got him without using a pick. Even by player ratings, Kent is rated higher so just based on that, would be a better chance of success, hence on a longer & better contract than Minch. Minch is not a free hit, still gets paid and takes up a spot.

So a punt by both clubs, with Kent a better chance of success, going by player's stats and ratings. I think Saints recruited Kent to play a role in the seniors, whereas imo Hawks recruited Minch as a backup.

All trading is a punt, Hawks took a huge punt with Scully, even Bombers took a punt with Shiel - cost a fortune, and if he is only a reasonable player for bombers, that is a fail. We won't really know the results of all these "punts" for a year or 3.
I think you are arguing semantics with talk of 'fringe level'

Melbourne haven't been a better side until this year. Kent will be the only player on the list with a W/L rate worse than Richo.

Both players are injury prone small forwards who have been in the system for many years and can't hold down a regular spot playing AFL. I don't think either player will make a significant impact, but hopefully I am wrong with Kent because we have him for 3 years regardless.
I was worried about picking up a fringe Melbourne player, given Melbourne aren't anything to get excited over, but fact is Kent was a walk up start for their 22 who missed games due to injury, whereas Meatball was always a 50/50 bet even when healthy...had some great games, but couldn't sustain any kind of consistent form. Takeaway has nailed when they pointed out Hawks have recruited him for depth, but you can bookmark me if he takes the field for the Hawks R1 next year! :lol: Stranger things have happened, and good luck to him, but if he carves out long term success at the Hawks it will be a surprise to most IMO.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Won't be a surprise to me mate.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sun 04 Nov 2018 10:54am Won't be a surprise to me mate.
Most. I'll admit there's quite a few on here who are misty-eyed and nostalgic already. Minch got a fair go at the Saints, we've upgraded and now he gets a crack elsewhere...win-win.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

I agreed with your assessment on Minchington Teddysainter, what I don’t understand is how Kent has become Keith Grieg since he signed a 3 year deal with St Kilda.

This time last year I’d bet 99.9% of this forum (you included Teddysainter) couldn’t pick Kent in a line up, had never noticed him play or at best heard the name and had seen him do a nice thing or two.

All of a sudden you fabricate a story and write he’s in Melbourne’s best 22, Melbourne people rate him, Melbourne wanted to keep him, it’s astute trading etc.

Fact is Teddysainter if Melbourne wanted to keep Kent they would have matched our offer and or held out for a decent return instead of a late pick and if he was in their best 22 he’d have played a lot more games than he has.
My story is that Kent was going to delisted, I’m making it up but it’s as credible as your input on Kent.

Lastly using your logic on Minch V Kent we should dump Kent and offer Murdoch a 3 year deal, he has had a far better career than Kent and Minchington combined.

Remember we gave a 3 year deal to a guy who was going to be delisted.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

This thread is about Minch. Not a debate about Kent v Minch which you brought up for some reason.

Already explained my reasons.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Sun 04 Nov 2018 8:51pm This thread is about Minch. Not a debate about Kent v Minch which you brought up for some reason.

Already explained my reasons.
The reason is a perfect comparison.

Minchington a fringe player delisted and given an opportunity at Hawthorn.

Kent a fringe player at Melbourne who was going to be delisted given a lifeline at StKilda.

My questions to you...
Why is Kent astute recruiting?
Why does Kent have more upside than Minchington or Murdoch?
Have you even seen Kent play?

But you won’t answer Teddysainter because you can’t.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Already answered the above several times. Use the search function.

And yep, seen Kent play, he is a real ripper and strong at the contest.

Total = 1.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Sun 04 Nov 2018 10:29pm he is a real ripper and strong at the contest.
Alan Richardson...^ confirmed.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

:mrgreen: wait till Meatball has a kid.
He'll be wearing baby poo at home,
as well as at work. :mrgreen:

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote: Mon 05 Nov 2018 12:09am
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Sun 04 Nov 2018 10:29pm he is a real ripper and strong at the contest.
Yep, he must be Richo.

Tell me another forum member that has actually seen Kent play or who could pick him in a line up and would describe him as a real ripper who is strong at the contest.

The same Kent who has played 60 games in 7 seasons and was going to be delisted until we offered him a 3 year deal.

Must be Richo :lol:

takeaway
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Mon 05 Nov 2018 6:44am
Yep, he must be Richo.

Tell me another forum member that has actually seen Kent play or who could pick him in a line up and would describe him as a real ripper who is strong at the contest.

The same Kent who has played 60 games in 7 seasons and was going to be delisted until we offered him a 3 year deal.

Can't be Richo - he hasn't seen Kent play.

You're like a dog with a bone on this topic Joffa. I beginning to think you are Minch - having a last burst before you cross to the Hawks forum?

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote:
Yep, he must be Richo.

Did someone announce Kent would be delisted if he wasn’t traded?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
saynta
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Mon 05 Nov 2018 11:10am
Joffa Burns wrote:
Yep, he must be Richo.

No, there was no such announcement. Posters stating that Kent was going to be delisted are just talking crap.
Last edited by saynta on Mon 05 Nov 2018 2:01pm, edited 1 time in total.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Exactly. The fact Melbourne played Kent in their last game and wanted him to be part of their finals campaign tells you something. Delisting...seriously. Kent left for more security for his family as he has a new kid and for a fresh start. Its all been explained.

Total = 1.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I would have thought that a three year contract for someone who is for all intents and purposes a fringe and injury prone player is a big risk but that’s just me..

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Mon 05 Nov 2018 11:10am
Joffa Burns wrote:
Yep, he must be Richo.

I had time to do some research now.
General manager of football operations, Josh Mahoney, thanked Kent for his service to the club.

“Dean has shown his ability at AFL level, but unfortunately injuries have impacted his continuity over the years,” Mahoney told the club’s website.

Whilst we were keen to keep Dean and offered him a contract, we understand the security that a longer-term offer presents, and we are glad that he has an opportunity to extend his AFL career.”
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-tr ... a4d898cc38

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Joffa B wrong again. Stop making stuff up mate.

Total = 1.
takeaway
Club Player

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Mon 05 Nov 2018 4:43pm Joffa B wrong again. Stop making stuff up mate.
Although to be fair to Joffa B, he did post below in an earlier post:

"My story is that Kent was going to delisted, I’m making it up but it’s as credible as your input on Kent"

Much ado about nothing really. Hope both Minch & Kent go well.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

All good. I was just stirring the Joffmeister up. He is my no 1 fan after all.

Total = 1.
chico2001
Club Player

you have got no fans ted, I thanked you for that post so that you didn't get that "lonely & unwanted" feeling. We want you to keep contributing your shite, not drive you away.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

I actually think you're my no 2 fan chico roll. Thanks.

Total = 1.