Shiel return to Vic

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

suss
Club Player

Re: Shiel return to Vic

In 2001 we got Hamill and Gehrig after first securing Blight.

There is a solution to the problem of us not being a destination club ...

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Wed 05 Sep 2018 9:36am
SaintPav wrote: Wed 05 Sep 2018 8:46am
takeaway wrote: Tue 04 Sep 2018 11:49pm
SaintPav wrote: Tue 04 Sep 2018 11:31pm We are are laughing stock
Not sure what you mean. Because we are chasing various players to try to improve the list? What are we supposed to do? Lose the money from the cap because we haven't used it? Agreed we won't get many of them but that is the game all clubs play.

Same as your quote in your posts - better out (having a go) than in (hiding in the shed).
It reeks of desperation.

We aren’t exactly a “destination” club, are we?

It doesn’t sound like we’re chasing the right type of players either.
No we are not a destination club and it is hard enough anyway for the destination clubs to get A graders in. We do have the salary cap space and seem to be waving offers around to quite a few players. Now to you that reeks of desperation.
Fair enough. Not sure what else the club is meant to do. We are very active, going at A graders Shiel & Gaff (agree not much chance) and will go at any other A graders which suit and where there is even a remote chance of them leaving.
Other non A graders like Hannebury/Lycett/Polec are good players with a bit of risk, but would improve the list.

All clubs list hunt at this time of year. Maybe you can suggest some suitable players that are remotely available that we should be looking at in lieu of those mentioned?
It's hard to say exactly but I don't think we should be chasing guys like Polec, Menzel or even Hannebury.

I think we should keep building our list and that we should keep our first pick.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
takeaway
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Wed 05 Sep 2018 10:48am
Not sure what you mean. Because we are chasing various players to try to improve the list? What are we supposed to do? Lose the money from the cap because we haven't used it? Agreed we won't get many of them but that is the game all clubs play.

Same as your quote in your posts - better out (having a go) than in (hiding in the shed).
It reeks of desperation.

No we are not a destination club and it is hard enough anyway for the destination clubs to get A graders in. We do have the salary cap space and seem to be waving offers around to quite a few players. Now to you that reeks of desperation.
Fair enough. Not sure what else the club is meant to do. We are very active, going at A graders Shiel & Gaff (agree not much chance) and will go at any other A graders which suit and where there is even a remote chance of them leaving.
Other non A graders like Hannebury/Lycett/Polec are good players with a bit of risk, but would improve the list.

All clubs list hunt at this time of year. Maybe you can suggest some suitable players that are remotely available that we should be looking at in lieu of those mentioned?
It's hard to say exactly but I don't think we should be chasing guys like Polec, Menzel or even Hannebury.

I think we should keep building our list and that we should keep our first pick.
I agree definitely keep 1st pick. No to Menzel. Polec maybe, a fit Hannebury yes (big if), and not using 1st pick or a swap thereof.

derby Street
Club Player

takeaway wrote: Wed 05 Sep 2018 10:58am
SaintPav wrote: Wed 05 Sep 2018 10:48am

It reeks of desperation.

I agree definitely keep 1st pick. No to Menzel. Polec maybe, a fit Hannebury yes (big if), and not using 1st pick or a swap thereof.
I am with the "keeping our first round draft pick" camp. Assuming our draft people don't lose the plot. We might as well do the hard yards - use our cap on FA where we don't have to give up draft picks.