Longer

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shrodes
SS Life Member

Re: Longer

skeptic wrote: Sun 17 Jun 2018 12:42pm
SydneySainter wrote: Sun 17 Jun 2018 12:24pm The reality is that we're desperately looking for one of our rucks to be clear No. 1 and what both Hickey and Longer have so far proved is that currently, neither are the answer.

Hickey's had a good chop out, done some nice things, but with the exception of the Giants game, has frequently been beaten by his opponent. Allegedly his strength is his work around ground, but I think that's a little overstated.

This is only Longer's third game, so he probably deserves a few more, but his strength is that he's allegedly a "bull" at the stoppages, but in his three senior matches so far, he's also been bested by all three of his opponents, so I think his hit out work is also a little overstated.

I really can't see either being a clear No. 1 solution moving forward.
Nailed it
Dead on. Longer was far from great last night. He was again a downright liability on occasion.

Some examples (can't remember exact time, but you may remember them):
- 1st qtr? Ball up just outside GCS goalsquare. Longer wins tap and taps down TOWARDS THEIR GOAL. GCS crumb, goal. Why on earth would you ever tap it to ground in the direction of the opposition goal?
- 2nd qtr? Savage long kick in to 50m mark. Longer fails to contest the ball at all and his opponent marks. They kick inside 50 and goal.

Both our ruckmen have deficiencies. Hickey's lack of defensive pressure on his opponent is his bugbear. Longer's lack of any capacity to effect the ball beyond stoppage is his.

Viscount Jeremiah
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Sun 17 Jun 2018 10:53am
Viscount Jeremiah wrote: Sun 17 Jun 2018 10:43am Need to try and trade Longer at the end of the season if possible.

However i doubt any club would be interested

Geelong for one would want him. Anyone with a football brain knows how good he is in the ruck.
Yeah I agree he's good in the ruck. But you can't just be good in the ruck is the problem.

I'm sure he has some improvement left in him as far defending his man, taking marks, tackling, kicking and winning the ball but the question is does he have enough? I don't think so.

Most teams would prefer someone like Nankervis who usually loses the hit outs but competes well enough and then does some damage around the ground and provides a target coming out of defence, currently Longer hasn't shown this ability. Hopefully he can.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Sun 17 Jun 2018 12:14pm So if Longer dominates and our half forwards didn’t capitalise his ruck work doesn’t count? As a bloke that’s done a hell of a lot of mid field work Longer was instrumental in our win.

Exactly.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote: Sun 17 Jun 2018 2:06pm
CURLY wrote: Sun 17 Jun 2018 12:14pm So if Longer dominates and our half forwards didn’t capitalise his ruck work doesn’t count? As a bloke that’s done a hell of a lot of mid field work Longer was instrumental in our win.

Exactly.
So from where I sit, we all agree that he didn’t do enough around the ground or generally impact the contest outside the stoppages..? Is that a fair enough statement.?

The debate seems to centre around how damaging his ruck work was. And in this category some people feel he was okay and others feel he was very good.

That seems to me to be this discussion in a nutshell.

Which brings me back to my original point in that neither Hickey nor Longer are good enough to assume the role completely.
We simply have to find a way to get Marshall into this team as a KPP ruck... and have him be supported pbly by Longer until the kid can assume FT ruck duties.

So for me, my decision is I’m ready to stamp Hickey’s papers and trade him off if I can.

And I reckon if Pierce is playing as well as suggested, give him a go... let’s see what he’s got

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

bigred wrote: Sun 17 Jun 2018 12:06am
takeaway wrote: Sat 16 Jun 2018 11:21pm Longer has to stay in. Real presence in the hitouts and the mids are more confident with him there. As long as he at least negates the other ruckman around the ground he is well ahead of Hickey.
We play Melbourne next.

How will Longer go against Gorn?
He will need to be mean, hurt him. Don't care if he concedes free kicks early, snarl at him hit him hard and hurt him at every contest. That's how he'll need to play him.

Gawn is a great player, but his got a soft underbelly.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

I'm not sure if Billy would be getting so much praise if we had fallen short in the end. He had 6 possessions. Did he help to set anything up with any of those kicks or hand passes? If not, 33 hit outs wasn't enough to beat his opponent. Sure, he lifted his work rate in the last quarter, but so did all of his teammates. I'm guessing he'll stay in the team since we got up for a win. Hickey may find himself in limbo again. To add to our list of growing problems, we have a rucking one to solve by next year.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Trixilver
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote: Sat 16 Jun 2018 9:48pm Can we somehow genetically merge Longer and Hickey?
As long as we get the right end of the stick.

Or maybe just play them both.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Billy was good last night.
Hard at it and win some serious hit outs to advantage.

On the flip side Witts is not Nic Nat, so let's see how Billy goes against Gawn next week before we get too carried away.

As for Billy's trade value, I keep harping he is the perfect fit for GWS and they have plenty of midfield talent injured or not getting a game.

Billy for Setterfield?

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

We have 2 poor Ruckmen....whats the point arguing over them?

Nee!
Gershwin
Club Player

The last goal from Gresham seemed like a set-play to me with Gresham sprinting to get to a position boundary side of the ball-up. All credit to Longer for getting the ball to him. Did others see that play the same as me?

summertime and the living is easy ........
maverick
Saintsational Legend

I saw it the same Gershwin.
I thought he had a good day, no surprise our mids were on top.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

It was a set play. Billy and Gresh won the game with that play.

Stonecold would be happy!

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote: Sun 17 Jun 2018 8:08pm It was a set play. Billy and Gresh won the game with that play.

Point conceded - but if the goal at the other end, where he did the same for the Suns player, was discounted, we would have already been in front!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Gershwin wrote: Sun 17 Jun 2018 7:21pm The last goal from Gresham seemed like a set-play to me with Gresham sprinting to get to a position boundary side of the ball-up. All credit to Longer for getting the ball to him. Did others see that play the same as me?
i watched it several times.
He ran to the exact spot to collect, at top speed, even before the ball-up.

So he expected it to be there.
Set play for sure.
Probably practiced in training heaps of times.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote: Sun 17 Jun 2018 7:21pm The last goal from Gresham seemed like a set-play to me with Gresham sprinting to get to a position boundary side of the ball-up. All credit to Longer for getting the ball to him. Did others see that play the same as me?
Yep

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote: Sun 17 Jun 2018 4:17pm I'm not sure if Billy would be getting so much praise if we had fallen short in the end. He had 6 possessions. Did he help to set anything up with any of those kicks or hand passes? If not, 33 hit outs wasn't enough to beat his opponent. Sure, he lifted his work rate in the last quarter, but so did all of his teammates. I'm guessing he'll stay in the team since we got up for a win. Hickey may find himself in limbo again. To add to our list of growing problems, we have a rucking one to solve by next year.
Lewie will be the man!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sun 17 Jun 2018 8:53pm
parkeysainter wrote: Sun 17 Jun 2018 8:08pm It was a set play. Billy and Gresh won the game with that play.

Point conceded - but if the goal at the other end, where he did the same for the Suns player, was discounted, we would have already been in front!
Billy currently holds the no 1 ruck spot now. We all have to live with it whether we like it or not.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
takeaway
Club Player

Yes, Billy should get a go at it now. Having said that, you have to feel for Hick playing for Sandringham today - if he was planning to play a good game to keep in the hunt for No.1, he had no hope with the weather conditions. Atrocious, especially for a ruckman.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sun 17 Jun 2018 10:20pm
Yep
Did it twice to, back to back in exactly the same way.

Incredible.

:lol:

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

parkeysainter wrote: Sun 17 Jun 2018 10:51pm
Sainter_Dad wrote: Sun 17 Jun 2018 8:53pm

Billy currently holds the no 1 ruck spot now. We all have to live with it whether we like it or not.
I think most are fine with it, because it’s not as if Hickey has made the No. 1 ruck spot his own and he’s had ample time to do so.

That being said, let’s not pretend Billy is something he’s not, this so-called “bull” at the stoppages. Longer had some nice hits, some not-so nice ones, played a perfectly serviceable role in the ruck on Saturday but in the end, his opponent had more hit outs, more possessions and overall beat Longer.

Bad management is bad management
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Neither Longer or Hickey are true No 1 Ruck material. Both are very much comprises in that both have flaws, and contrasting flaws in their gameplan.

Depending on the coach and gameplan you may prefer one over the other, but neither will ever be in anyone's dream team.

Longer having a passable game against one of the poorer rucks in the AFL is hardly a ringing endorsement. Let's see how he goes against against Gawn next game. Hopefully Billy's confidence will be on the rise so that he can give a good account of himself.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Neither Longer or Hickey are true No 1 Ruck material. Both are very much comprises in that both have flaws, and contrasting flaws in their gameplan.

Depending on the coach and gameplan you may prefer one over the other, but neither will ever be in anyone's dream team.

Longer having a passable game against one of the poorer rucks in the AFL is hardly a ringing endorsement. Let's see how he goes against against Gawn next game. Hopefully Billy's confidence will be on the rise so that he can give a good account of himself.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
suss
Club Player

If there's one thing that footage proves it's that ruck statistics really are bloody meaningless.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Witts has had a good season and would be up high in their B and F.