signing #7 Acres to 2018

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint-stu
Club Player

Re: signing #7 Acres to 2018

stinger wrote:
saint-stu wrote:I find it interesting so many on here rate Acres so highly. I really hope its true but was wondering what this is based on? I've seen him play in a few games for the Sandy and the Saints, and he looks ok, but I'm wondering how we're so sure he will be a gun?

i was at the hawks game...he looked slow to me...but on that day the whole side was crap....
He has a very casual way about him. I thought the same that he seems to move slowly.

1ac46a38
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

saint-stu wrote:
stinger wrote:
saint-stu wrote:I find it interesting so many on here rate Acres so highly. I really hope its true but was wondering what this is based on? I've seen him play in a few games for the Sandy and the Saints, and he looks ok, but I'm wondering how we're so sure he will be a gun?

i was at the hawks game...he looked slow to me...but on that day the whole side was crap....
He has a very casual way about him. I thought the same that he seems to move slowly.
I initially thought that, but I hadn't quite appreciated how big he is - at 190 cm, he is is closer to the size of a key defender.

Remember how slow and uncertain BJ looked when he started out? I reckon there are some similarities, and this guy will be bigger in size.

Always loyal
saint-stu
Club Player

SemperFidelis wrote:
saint-stu wrote:
stinger wrote:

I initially thought that, but I hadn't quite appreciated how big he is - at 190 cm, he is is closer to the size of a key defender.

Remember how slow and uncertain BJ looked when he started out? I reckon there are some similarities, and this guy will be bigger in size.
What is the right position for 190cm players? If they're not agile, they try key positions but end up too short for that (Maister, Gwilt, Simpkin)

1ac46a38
saint-stu
Club Player

SemperFidelis wrote:
saint-stu wrote:
stinger wrote:

What is the right position for 190cm players? If they're not agile, they try key positions but end up too short for that (Maister, Gwilt, Simpkin)

1ac46a38
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I see Blake as a BJ type.

These were his test results from 18 months ago (taken at ECU in Perth)

20m sprint 2.94 sec
Agility 8.28 sec
Standing vertical 69 cm
Running vertical jump ® 80cm
Running vertical jump (l) 92cm
Repeat sprint 21.51 sec
Beep test 15.2
No 3 km was tested

In the combine these results would have placed him
20m sprint- Equal 9th
Agility- 8th
Standing vertical- 1cm outside top 10
Running vertical jump ®- Equal 10th
Running vertical jump (l)- 2nd
Repeat sprint- 1st

Beep test- Equal 5th
No 3 km was tested

Now he was 188cm back then and is now listed as 190cm.
And although he didnt test in the 3km - I think I read somewhere he was from a family of middle distance runners - so i expect he goes well in the 3km as well (Notice his repeat sprint test)

In actual play - he seems composed and able to find space and find the ball and has good disposal (although for the saints and sandy he was missing targets with his handballs).

But overall - the guy is bloody impressive imho.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Thu 18 Sep 2014 1:56pm, edited 1 time in total.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I met him preseason and he is a really shy kid. He did his preseason hand balling with Gilbert. He is a lovely size and not far off being a Gilbert size long term. He has parents who were athletes. Reports from my friends who have AFL contacts in WA were talking about him like he was going to be a gun from the colts games they saw. He has been hampered by injury so far and probably isn't going to be an immediate impact player. Most players don't do much for a few years until they get up around 50 games. Being a bigger kid I expect him to probably take another year of VFL with 10 or so games in the AFL to become a solid player. The ceiling for Blake is huge though.

#16 Geelong – Blake Acres (WA – Mid/Util)Height: 188cm, Weight: 84kg, DOB: 07/10/1995
Recruited from: West Perth
Style: David Mundy
Player comparison:
Range: 7-30
Profile: Acres is tall, high production, classy user of the footy with extra time and space than the next guy with that evasive sidestep of his as well as versatility with his ability to play through the midfield or on a forward or back flank. He has the ability to win his own footy inside the contest, tackle strongly and take a strong mark overhead. At the next level despite his versatility I see him as someone who will become a midfielder going by what he showed through the midfield this year even while carrying a shoulder injury. Acres is all class and is not only excellent by foot on both sides hitting his targets consistently but he also has more time and space than the next guy and combine that with his sidestep and he’s hard to catch. He’s got a complete game as someone who is very capable of winning his own ball inside the contest but then can also find the footy outside. He can hit the scoreboard as a midfielder. He can push forward and take a mark or play on a back flank and be an effective rebounder. He’s also an effective tackler. Acres is one of the rare few taller types with a relatively immediate game as well as a complete game. Add that to his strong sporting pedigree with his parents both strong athletes and his continued rapid improvement and the combination of ability to win his own footy and skill level at his size and he’ll be one of the best players to come out of this draft and one of the few I feel has the ability to develop into a star talent from this draft. Many will sleep on Acres because we haven’t seen the best of him this year but I’m exceedingly confident he’ll deliver the goods and deliver it quicker than many predict.
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/k ... ft.983436/
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-11-18/t ... lake-acres

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

saint-stu wrote:
stinger wrote:

Pendelbury looks slow as well. Forget Blake being another BJ. He's got Pendelbury written all over him.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:
saint-stu wrote:
stinger wrote:

Pendelbury looks slow as well. Forget Blake being another BJ. He's got Pendelbury written all over him.

Dal Santo has the same ability to look like he makes time slow down. He doesn't look rushed just does his thing while everyone else around him seems to slow down.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

saint-stu wrote:
SemperFidelis wrote:
saint-stu wrote:
stinger wrote:

it's all changed...plugger was 190cm.....bj grew to 192/3 cm...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:
saint-stu wrote:
stinger wrote:

hope you are right on this one mate... :D

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Saints94
SS Life Member

stinger wrote:
tony74 wrote:
saint-stu wrote:
stinger wrote:

hope you are right on this one mate... :D
+1, Hopefully a mixture of Pendulbury/Fyfe/Kennedy/Mundy - Today's modern 190cm midfielder.

saint-stu
Club Player

Great info, thanks Con and Gringo. Very good point about Dal always having time and space and never looking rushed.

Gee I'd be happy with another BJ or Pendlebury!

1ac46a38
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I would have thought Blake marks it a fair bit more than Pendles and doesn't have same basketball skills.
but we are splitting hairs.
hes a tall skilful mid who can also mark.