dal was a huge loss

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Re: dal was a huge loss

kosifantutti wrote:Maybe we should have held on to Devonport.
I've never forgiven the club for that, cost us a certain flowering flag or 3. :roll: :roll: :roll:
#standbycraigdevonport

matrix
Saintsational Legend

I'm at smoko.
I've had a feed already.
Although some crumpets with peanut butter and honey is on the cards when I get home.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:I'm at smoko.
I've had a feed already.
Although some crumpets with peanut butter and honey is on the cards when I get home.
English muffins....IMHO

Not that I can eat them anymore :x

Austinnn
Club Player

I don't see how keeping Dal Santo would have been better than doing what we did. We kept him in 2013. Where did we finish that year? He might have made a difference, but certainly not put us in the 8. Longer is an interesting prospect, and having him Hickey, Stanley, Peirce and Holmes is going to be interesting too. It seems that not all of them can have long term futures at the same club, so we develop them all and trade on 2 or 3 to clubs who have something we need. It's a good strategy, but a bitter pill to swallow. But nothing good comes without a little sacrifice.

I'm prepared to trust the judgement for now. I'm more annoyed that we didn't get a hell of a lot for DalSanto, I certainly feel that we were under-compensated.

Still, I think the best way for this club to look is forwards after many years of poor decisions. Pelchen represents the new era as well as Gordon or Finnis to me, and so far they get a tick from me.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

SainterK wrote:
matrix wrote:I'm at smoko.
I've had a feed already.
English muffins....IMHO

Not that I can eat them anymore :x
I'm with you K, muffins all the way. I find crumpets get a bit messy.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
gringo wrote:When we lost Barry Hall pick 13 turned into Dal, hopefully the pick that keeps giving eg Longer will develop into a huge reliable Ruck who will attract another high draft pick or become our main man so we can trade out Hickey for a high pick. Otherwise Pierce and Holmes become guns and one of them become trade bait. Either way the two new franchises might need rucks once their mids develop and want to swap their fourth best mid for one. I would say there is some kind of logical unemotional strategy behind it. There is currently four potential high level rucks on our list. In the past we have struggled to get one.
Don't forget we got the Barry Hall pick by sending Craig Devonport to Carlton where he played a total of one game. Maybe we should have held on to Devonport.
Point well made KF.

A footy list is like an evolving garden. Sometimes you have to make way so new flowers can bloom.
Sometimes the seeds you plant wont grow or will be disappointing and sometimes a seed can grow into a productive plant or flower!
With limited space in your garden - sometimes some old faithful plants need to be removed to make room for new growth and new seeds. It might like bare for a period when you remove the old and plant the new - but from the seeds can come a new garden.

And Spring is upon us - the appropriate time for a Spring clean and trading/drafting season.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Tue 09 Sep 2014 12:59pm, edited 1 time in total.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:
gringo wrote:When we lost Barry Hall pick 13 turned into Dal, hopefully the pick that keeps giving eg Longer will develop into a huge reliable Ruck who will attract another high draft pick or become our main man so we can trade out Hickey for a high pick. Otherwise Pierce and Holmes become guns and one of them become trade bait. Either way the two new franchises might need rucks once their mids develop and want to swap their fourth best mid for one. I would say there is some kind of logical unemotional strategy behind it. There is currently four potential high level rucks on our list. In the past we have struggled to get one.
Don't forget we got the Barry Hall pick by sending Craig Devonport to Carlton where he played a total of one game. Maybe we should have held on to Devonport.
Point well made KF.

A footy list is like an evolving garden. Sometimes you have to make way so new flowers can bloom.
Sometimes the seeds you plant wont grow or will be disappointing and sometimes a seed can grow into a productive plant or flower!

And Spring is upon us - the appropriate time for a Spring clean and trading/drafting season.
Plenty of manure in this thread to spread on that analogical garden.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:
Point well made KF.

Plenty of manure in this thread to spread on that analogical garden.
:D :D

matrix
Saintsational Legend

yeah muffins are cool
heaps of butter.......
also good to make mini pizzas out of

hang on...
what are we supposed to be talking about again? :?:

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
stinger wrote:your quoted source is simply wrong...
Let's try using some logic.
No response to my logic, stinger?

Munga
Saintsational Legend

Having a blinder tonight, and I'm amazed how happy I am. I still love the guy.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Munga wrote:Having a blinder tonight, and I'm amazed how happy I am. I still love the guy.
Me too.

In the end, the Kangas won't win jack in his time however I am thrilled for him. Great player and cool dude!

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

He's all class. That passage on the wing where he ended up with the goal is everything about him that I miss.
Always a Saint. Even in that hideous blue and white strip.

Always loyal
bergsone
SS Life Member

We DO miss that cool head and clean disposal,dont we.Cant change things now but........push on

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

The Redeemer wrote:
Munga wrote:Having a blinder tonight, and I'm amazed how happy I am. I still love the guy.
Me too.

In the end, the Kangas won't win jack in his time however I am thrilled for him. Great player and cool dude!
+1

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Munga wrote:Having a blinder tonight...
Hmm. The new tactic of paying OFF him doesn't seem to be working. If only they had tried it against us when he was there.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

he should still be wearing a Saints jumper plain and simple...bad for moral and supporters to just let players like that go.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Best final he's played, easily

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

In a knockout final how composed did he look? It was like he was playing in a r22 match against the bottom side. A level above. Chris Scott lost the match by not tagging him.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Everyone likes Dal. Well most of us anyway.

BOG tonight.

North got him to make a difference in finals, and tonight North may well have lost without his precise ball use tonight.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

saintsRrising wrote:Everyone likes Dal. Well most of us anyway.

BOG tonight.

North got him to make a difference in finals, and tonight North may well have lost without his precise ball use tonight.
No doubt, was in another class tonight, he played a magnificent game.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Makes you wonder why he was so vanilla last year, when you see him play like he did tonight. Roos win. We lose. Again.

Hallalj#3
Club Player

SainterK wrote:Best final he's played, easily
Disagree completely his finals record is outstanding!

Trixilver
Club Player

Those on here listing this as a loss for us is confusing me. How could it have been a loss for us if we finished bottom four with him anyway? Realistically what difference would he have made had we kept him here? Not finishing bottom? Whoopty do. I want the Saints to finish first, not 17th.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I cant believe the intelligence level sometimes.

Dal is an exceptional player.
I have always been pro -Dal. Even when he copped criticism I was a huge supporter of him - especially in 2011.
When we were crap in 11 and 12 - Dal ALWAYS stood up against good sides when were losing.
He was always there in the tough times (which is more than i can say for many of our other so called stars)
I rate Dal incredibly highly as a bloke and player.
Anyone is is welcome to search my old posts on this (i used to say he should be skipper back if you check my 20111-12 posts).

So who is surprised he played a good game?

But so what. If he played for us we would still be bottom. Are people so thick they think Dal would get us off bottom?
Dal has helped the Roos but the reality is the Roos made a pre-lim after 7 years hard yakka buiding from the ground up via youth.
They recruit a guy like Dal at the END of that process.

We are at the start of that process. Maybe in 5 years we will recruit some top older players from sh*t teams looking to play finals.

get a grip.