Ross Lyon after today

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ross Lyon after today

Trev from the Bush wrote:Ho hum! Still plenty of posters that haven't got over losing our 3rd last coach. Face it, he was a terrific coach for the Saints.

Personally, I could never warm to him but he sure could coach. However, any respect I had for him has diminished after today. Not the incident with the supporter but his chanelling of Malthouse in his press conference. Came across as an arrogant turd, an excellent impresonation in fact.

And if Saint supporters only recognize a coach as being top shelf by the number of premierships they have won tell me which one of these three was better for the StKilda Football Club than Ross Lyon:

A. Tony Jewell
B. Malcolm Blight
C. Alex Jesaulenko
I'll ask you a different question if you don't mind.
How does Lyon's record stack up against Tommy Hafey's when Tommy was sacked from Collingwood?
Premierships are not the only measure of a coach, but you'd reckon a bloke would have at least one to warrant the arrogance shown by and the adulation and money thrown at this maiden performer!
m

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Con Gorozidis wrote:Well I reckon hes buggered now.
I just cant see him winning a flag from here ever.

His only chance will be walking into the GC Suns job in 2016 - but hed have to be unbelievably lucky for that to happen and to land that job at that time.

He will probably have his manager out there slyly letting the GC and the Dogs know hes interested in 2016.

Then he will leave the Dockers in a big hole.
You beat me to it Con. I was just about to answer the title of this thread with... "at the Sons of Beaches for season 2016." :lol:

This year is pretty much his last chance at the Purple Puke. Next year they'll slip down and go out first round of the finals in a very 'strangely coached' game.

At the presser, after telling the well-wishers who pat him on the back "not to beeping touch me you beeps", he'll announce that several (bemused) Purple Puke players have said that they've hung up their boots.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Don't get me wrong. I'm a huge Ro$$y fan.

Under him, for the first time since the days of Jeansy coaching, whenever the opposition got hold of the footy and went forward... I wasn't worried that they would score.

At the Purple Puke he's transformed a mentally soft, flakey team into one that commands genuine respect. No Puke team before has ever commanded respect. Amazing effort!

IMHO, Ro$$y's faults ares that he seemingly refuses to tweak his game plan to allow for changes in the game, and of course the issue of bringing young blokes for the future.

Sheedy continually evolved his game plans as the game evolved over 27 years.

Clarkson the toxic gnome really annoys me with his angry little man persona. And I reckon he has actually been a bit lucky with both his flags. They stole the first one (and good luck to 'em), and crucial in-game injuries plus that Varcoe miss, allowed them to get out of jail in the Preliminary Final last year.

But that said, I'm now very prepared to say that he is a very good coach. Why? Because he has been prepared to identify game plan flaws exposed by the evolution of the game... and adjust things to fix them.

Both Sheedy and Clarkson also continually brought in and blooded young players to keep their teams up for longer.

So IMHO those two factors of not adjusting the game plan to meet the evolution of the game,
and not drip-feeding young blokes into the team...
these are Ro$$y's two ultimately (it is seeming) fatal flaws as a coach.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Today Lyon showed in the press conference how abrasive he can be. May be his true personality is coming through? I don't think he's an endearing personality. Having said that the Dockers will probably play Hawthorn in the prelim and you never know what might happen. I do think the slippery conditions favoured them more than Sydney. Personally would like to see them smashed by Hawthorn. Never had much time for Freo although Ross has turned them from a rabble to a respected football team.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:
Trev from the Bush wrote:Ho hum! Still plenty of posters that haven't got over losing our 3rd last coach. Face it, he was a terrific coach for the Saints.

Personally, I could never warm to him but he sure could coach. However, any respect I had for him has diminished after today. Not the incident with the supporter but his chanelling of Malthouse in his press conference. Came across as an arrogant turd, an excellent impresonation in fact.

And if Saint supporters only recognize a coach as being top shelf by the number of premierships they have won tell me which one of these three was better for the StKilda Football Club than Ross Lyon:

A. Tony Jewell
B. Malcolm Blight
C. Alex Jesaulenko
I'll ask you a different question if you don't mind.
How does Lyon's record stack up against Tommy Hafey's when Tommy was sacked from Collingwood?
Premierships are not the only measure of a coach, but you'd reckon a bloke would have at least one to warrant the arrogance shown by and the adulation and money thrown at this maiden performer!
m
Hafey had lost nine in a row and they were second last.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Unfortunately we all know with 90% likelihood that team's that go down in qually's win semi's.

But all that means is that I can go to the Prelim on Saturday week and watch the Hawks dismember Freo.

Heartbreaking stuff for Lyin :lol:

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Lets face it Lyon is a very good coach, but only of a developed list.

He took a cherry ripe Saints team and took it to consecutive GF's.

He has taken Freo from a talented bunch of heartless softcocks to a tough in and under defensive unit who is still in the mix for the 2014 flag.

But as I have ALWAYS said he is a parasite who refuses to develop young players. He trashed the Saints list and will do the same at Freo. Picking up role players and rejects is his way and Sylvia and Gumbleton would, and taking Dawson would seem to indicated this.

Early to write his footballing obit however it seems like his football game plan just doesn't cut it at the pointy ends of seasons. It can win one, maybe two finals, but it seems to fail at the final hurdle.

The Lyon hate is quite funny. From a bunch of infantile children who are like toddlers who have had their favourite toy taken from them.

How this childish dummy spitting helps the Saints is anyones guess, but hey maybe it will help us win the 2009 and 2010 premierships -shakes head in disgust

You are garbage - Enough said
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Infantile I will plead guilty to.
However it has absolutely nothing to do with Lyon leaving more with what he did during his tenure with us.
I don't see what you're saying is too much different to me, just different language employed.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

whiskers3614 wrote:Infantile I will plead guilty to.
However it has absolutely nothing to do with Lyon leaving more with what he did during his tenure with us.
I don't see what you're saying is too much different to me, just different language employed.

Fair enough whiskers. Lets be infantle together :D

I hope Lyon fails, think he was a prick the way he trashed our list then f***ed off without a bye you leave.

Still 09 and 10 was the most marvellous of time as a Saints fan

You are garbage - Enough said
matrix
Saintsational Legend

If people hats him so be it.
It shouldn't effect anyone else .

I don't hate him as I don't know him
But I'm glad he lost.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:If people hats him so be it.

But I'm glad he lost.
Don't know or hate Little, Hird, Buckley or McGuire doesn't stop me barracking against them!
Sorry changed my mind, I could quite easily headbutt Little into next week if I wasn't too mature for such actions!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:
matrix wrote:If people hats him so be it.

But I'm glad he lost.
Don't know or hate Little, Hird, Buckley or McGuire doesn't stop me barracking against them!
Sorry changed my mind, I could quite easily headbutt Little into next week if I wasn't too mature for such actions!

They had nothing to do with our club though. RL helped give me my greatest two weeks in footy so far since ive followed the Saints. And to those strange people who are glad he lost, well im glad you find it good that a side that can afford Buddy after getting Tippett won. Maybe they can get Frawley next year and if they play freo again you can again barrack for the Swans.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

His only chance will be walking into the GC Suns job in 2016 - but hed have to be unbelievably lucky for that to happen and to land that job at that time.

He will probably have his manager out there slyly letting the GC and the Dogs know hes interested in 2016.

He does have a 2 or 3 year extension. But I assume that wouldn't matter to him.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:

1 more extension needed as it is not till 2019 that he beats Northey's record of (295) most games coached without a flag.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:
saintly wrote:

1 more extension needed as it is not till 2019 that he beats Northey's record of (295) most games coached without a flag.

Thats true. You must be so happy he couldnt do it in 09 and 10? The sad thing is I actually think you maybe.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

I know that it is a little cheeky considering our position this year - but with Ross at the helm it wont be long before we witness this!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

I can't undo what happened in 2009 or 2010.
Good effort to get 19 straight but a more adventurous coach may have lost more H & A but won the flag.
I reckon that late season win against Hawthorn (with half a team out) may have given Lyon false belief in his game plan's powers.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:I can't undo what happened in 2009 or 2010.
Good effort to get 19 straight but a more adventurous coach may have lost more H & A but won the flag.
I reckon that late season win against Hawthorn (with half a team out) may have given Lyon false belief in his game plan's powers.

Sounds like complete guess work with no basis at all. Anyway Im glad he coached us. I would never knock GT as a coach because I thought he did a great job with that side but had RL had that side we would have won flags even with injuries. Alas it somes up our club over a 140 years of footy.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
whiskers3614 wrote:I can't undo what happened in 2009 or 2010.

Sounds like complete guess work with no basis at all. Anyway Im glad he coached us. I would never knock GT as a coach because I thought he did a great job with that side but had RL had that side we would have won flags even with injuries. Alas it somes up our club over a 140 years of footy.[/quote]

Can't disagree there!
So many near misses, what if's and episodes of shooting ourselves in the foot.

SideshowMilne
Club Player

To be fair I reckon his brief at St Kilda and Freo was 'just bloody win the thing'. Yes it came at a huge 'list' expense but both clubs just need/want to win 1 and go back to being carp and everyone's ok. If he tries to evolve freo and doesn't get there, he's failed more.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SideshowMilne wrote:To be fair I reckon his brief at St Kilda and Freo was 'just bloody win the thing'. Yes it came at a huge 'list' expense but both clubs just need/want to win 1 and go back to being carp and everyone's ok. If he tries to evolve freo and doesn't get there, he's failed more.

Thats exactly right. If people couldnt see that our list was going to be stuffed after our recruiting and drafting in that period then they had their eyes closed. Was it worth the punt. Bloody oath it was. We didnt win one though so the Lyon haters can take solice in that now and the RL supporters dont have much to hang their hat on apart from saying the weeks leading into the GFs were fantastic.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:Geez some of you on here make me sick. The guy is a genius full stop. We all should know this as St Kilda supporters. It was only unlucky/freak circumstances that stoped Lyon and us from winning 2 premierships in a row. Yes, that's right, back to back flags. He left us, so what? Why be bitter and wish bad luck on him? If you must know, he had lost a lot of money and his house actually as well. He had a chance to be paid double what he was being paid at the Saints. If any of us were in the same situation we would have all done the same.

Exactly right.

Regardless this is the whingers thread. A collection of all those bitter and twisted which altermately impacts their judgement on neutral football.

Some on here must forget what it's like to finish top 4. Finishing fourth must have been expected to beat the best side for the year interstate?

They nearly turned the finals series on its head same as last year after finishing 3rd and not being the best team all year.

Fremantles best ever coach within 2 years on being there. What a s*** acquisition. 20 years of being a joke club to a too four competitive beast. What other coach has done that in recent history? Wallace to Richmond? Roos to Melbourne? Malthouse to Carlton? It happens rarely.

Well Freo - from all Saints fans, you got what you deserved yesterday...... A second chance and a home finals for finishing top 4.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:And one more thing- I reckon when we do win one I want it to be by about six goals, so I can actually enjoy the last quarter of a grand final for once.

I just want to win one.

Surely any st Kilda supporter can't be picky. What else would you like with it? A pie and sauce? No lines to the toilet on GF day?

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote:I know that it is a little cheeky considering our position this year - but with Ross at the helm it wont be long before we witness this!

They finished 4th on the ladder this year.

And we actually won the spoon.

Is this isn't the best case of having our heads stuck up our own arses I don't know what is. We go to great lengths and long bows to s*** on things we have great bias towards.

The worlds longest bow must be purple too. Might find a picture of that, think it's placed at st Kilda beach.