Sam Gilbert - re injured foot?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Sam Gilbert - re injured foot?

Bluthy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
I asked the question for a simple reason. You say patience but when does the patience start and end. How many rounds before the end of the year can a person come back from an injury if given the ok and done all the training?.
See this is where you generalise with your rigidity. You have to look at every player on a case by case situation - injury, age, history of injury, years to play etc. With 5 games to play, with a reinjury earlier in the year increasing the chance of it occurring again, you go ULTRA conservative knowing that if it happens again it exponentially increase the likelihood of happening yet again and Gilbert still has years to play and his experience would be invaluable for our young backline. You put the percentages on your side instead of rolling the dice with virtually nothing to gain.

let me ask you this - do you think the club will review the decision to play Gilbert with only 5 games to go in the season as part of its season review?

5 games is basically a quarter of the season though. I cant remember one person questioing it when he came back. Like I said if jack got reinjured there would be many complaining about him coming back early but again my point is they actually may not be coming back early. Gilbert may have been fit to play with 8 games to go but they gave him an extra 3 weeks so they may have been very conservative. My point all along is no one on here knows what the club did so i reckon if you are blaming someone you at least need a little proof to say they did the wrong thing. Alright forget generalising and tell me how many games left in the season is the latest you would have brought back Gilbert.

By the way what if Gilbert is 100% fit by round one next season? the club and player have actually lost nothing at all.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

totally unrelated but just noted who Egan works for....

RSN Racing & Sport‏@RSNSportRadio·
Bombers assistant Matthew Egan joins @Chrisso_21 & McGuane in studio 735am Wed to discuss final round & finals campaign @EssendonFC @AFL

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Bluthy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
I asked the question for a simple reason. You say patience but when does the patience start and end. How many rounds before the end of the year can a person come back from an injury if given the ok and done all the training?.
See this is where you generalise with your rigidity. You have to look at every player on a case by case situation - injury, age, history of injury, years to play etc. With 5 games to play, with a reinjury earlier in the year increasing the chance of it occurring again, you go ULTRA conservative knowing that if it happens again it exponentially increase the likelihood of happening yet again and Gilbert still has years to play and his experience would be invaluable for our young backline. You put the percentages on your side instead of rolling the dice with virtually nothing to gain.

let me ask you this - do you think the club will review the decision to play Gilbert with only 5 games to go in the season as part of its season review?

5 games is basically a quarter of the season though. I cant remember one person questioing it when he came back. Like I said if jack got reinjured there would be many complaining about him coming back early but again my point is they actually may not be coming back early. Gilbert may have been fit to play with 8 games to go but they gave him an extra 3 weeks so they may have been very conservative. My point all along is no one on here knows what the club did so i reckon if you are blaming someone you at least need a little proof to say they did the wrong thing. Alright forget generalising and tell me how many games left in the season is the latest you would have brought back Gilbert.

By the way what if Gilbert is 100% fit by round one next season? the club and player have actually lost nothing at all.
Why are you talking about endless hypotheticals? Deal in reality Mrs/Mr/Mz/Dr Plugger. It's not 8 games, or Jack or Fisher or Angelina Jolie we're talking about. The decision in question was whether to play Samuel Gilbert with 5 games left in the season. They WILL review THAT decision as part of their best practice. And I'm sure the answer will be that they screwed the pooch on it. It was a bad decision. Richo will probably put up his hand and say they got caught up in trying to get Gilbert back all year to be competitive and teach the kids and they made a bad short term decision. Mistakes happen - that's why pencils have rubbers - but you need to acknowledge them to get better and learn from them. Yes "s*** happens" but you don't become a great club just saying "s*** happens". You look at the decision leading up to "s*** happens" and see if "s***" could have been avoided. And in this case if definitely could have.

And quite a few of us questioned beforehand Gilbo being brought back for a handful of games - check it bro viewtopic.php?f=1&t=86588.And the exact same debate would have occurred at the club. This simplistic idea that the docs sign-off and off you go is rubbish. Its always a risk reward debate with no clear cut answers due to its complexity. The club got it wrong this time. The evidence is there for all to see. WE can only hope the damage isn't too bad.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

'Screwed the pooch'.
Classic bluthy :D

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Bluthy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Why are you talking about endless hypotheticals? Deal in reality Mrs/Mr/Mz/Dr Plugger. It's not 8 games, or Jack or Fisher or Angelina Jolie we're talking about. The decision in question was whether to play Samuel Gilbert with 5 games left in the season. They WILL review THAT decision as part of their best practice. And I'm sure the answer will be that they screwed the pooch on it. It was a bad decision. Richo will probably put up his hand and say they got caught up in trying to get Gilbert back all year to be competitive and teach the kids and they made a bad short term decision. Mistakes happen - that's why pencils have rubbers - but you need to acknowledge them to get better and learn from them. Yes "s*** happens" but you don't become a great club just saying "s*** happens". You look at the decision leading up to "s*** happens" and see if "s***" could have been avoided. And in this case if definitely could have.

And quite a few of us questioned beforehand Gilbo being brought back for a handful of games - check it bro viewtopic.php?f=1&t=86588.And the exact same debate would have occurred at the club. This simplistic idea that the docs sign-off and off you go is rubbish. Its always a risk reward debate with no clear cut answers due to its complexity. The club got it wrong this time. The evidence is there for all to see. WE can only hope the damage isn't too bad.

You say hypotheticals and then you say maybe this and maybe that will happen. You wont answer the basic questions I asked because you havent got an answer that would make sense. Yep the evidence in hindsight if for all to see but if he plays round one this conversation is complete rubbish. It seems that i will have to question you before any player returns so that you cant claim this hindsight stuff. The simplistic is there is only 5 weeks left so why risk him is rubbish. See how words mean jack. The club got it wrong because he was injured but you have no idea if the club got it wrong considering all the information they have in front of them. Something you have none of even though you seem to suggest you do. So I ask again so I have the inforamtion next year, when is tto late to vring a player with Gilbert injury history back into the side. Obviously nearly a quarter of the season is to late.

Ive actually enjoyerd debating this with you but just one favour. Im either plugger66, p66 or no name at all. please none of the other crap. You can have the final say but it seems we will always agree to disagree so this is my last word to you on the topic. That doesnt mean others wont hear my crap on the topic.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Sam has to have a bone graft and isnt likely to play any footy inside the next 6 months so I doubt he will be leaving the club anytime soon. Having said that he did just ge engaged to a GC girl so anything is possible.

Saint wagga
Club Player

Thanks for the update Plugger, that is very disappointing but not totally unexpected news!! Very sad news for the young man and bad news for his potential impact in any meaningfulness sense for season 2015! I hope he and the club have his long term health beyond footy at the forefront of all decisions going forward. Are you able to reveal ur source??

dragit
Saintsational Legend

He's a fast healer - joking!

His career must be in serious doubt, that will be 3 consecutive years badly affected by injury…

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Saint wagga wrote:Thanks for the update Plugger, that is very disappointing but not totally unexpected news!! Very sad news for the young man and bad news for his potential impact in any meaningfulness sense for season 2015! I hope he and the club have his long term health beyond footy at the forefront of all decisions going forward. Are you able to reveal ur source??

I wont even though I probably could. lets just say it is 100% true.