What's the Brions secret?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: What's the Brions secret?

Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
True Believer wrote: Dear God!!! I cannot cope with this. P66 said they had won 75% more games than us. We have won 4 games, they have won seven. That is 3 more games than us, who have won 4 games. Three expressed as a percentage of four, is 75% !! That is year 7 stuff. Stop arguing about it when you are wrong. He is correct. It is not that complex. It is a different statement to "what number of games have we won, expressed as a percentage of Brisbane's wins?" The answer to that is 57%. They are two different statements, and both are correct. Stop worrying about arguing and worry about making sure you understand what the other poster is saying.
The percentage of this response that should be considered to be accurate can be expressed as 100 8-)
Ok so if I said that the lions had won 75% more games than us but we had won five games...how many games would the Lions have won?

That isnt possible but the answer is 8.75.
Yep so that should help to shed some light on your over simplification in how you viewed the numbers/wins, a very very common mistake and sometimes it comes down to understanding relationships between numbers and not just the numbers themselves. Don't worry though this particular type of problem I am led to believe is misunderstood more often than not that's why I suggested you read chapter 9 of Steven Strogatz book. Like I say I'm hopeless at maths as are most of us but Strogatz is worth reading if you enjoy the subject.

By the way I left Ormond East Primary before you become house captain but it sounds like they must have dropped the selection criteria after I left.

What a strange response. There is only one correct answer to the question you asked and that 8.75. The words you wrote are meaningless because they wrong. It isnt matter of over simplification because anyone who has even the slightest understanding of maths knows there is only one answer. You speak a lot but fail when questioned. Could you tell us what other answers could there possibly be to your question. I again expect riddles and wrong answers but please amuse me and just about everyone else reading this thread. But please remember the exact question you asked. And yes they may have dropped the selection criteria when you left but luckily for most they made maths compulsary.

And just a hint, you dont need to keep telling us you are hopeless at maths because its plainly obvious.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Plugger is 100% correct which makes him infinitely more correct than Cairnsman.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
True Believer wrote: Dear God!!! I cannot cope with this. P66 said they had won 75% more games than us. We have won 4 games, they have won seven. That is 3 more games than us, who have won 4 games. Three expressed as a percentage of four, is 75% !! That is year 7 stuff. Stop arguing about it when you are wrong. He is correct. It is not that complex. It is a different statement to "what number of games have we won, expressed as a percentage of Brisbane's wins?" The answer to that is 57%. They are two different statements, and both are correct. Stop worrying about arguing and worry about making sure you understand what the other poster is saying.
The percentage of this response that should be considered to be accurate can be expressed as 100 8-)
Ok so if I said that the lions had won 75% more games than us but we had won five games...how many games would the Lions have won?

Yep so that should help to shed some light on your over simplification in how you viewed the numbers/wins, a very very common mistake and sometimes it comes down to understanding relationships between numbers and not just the numbers themselves. Don't worry though this particular type of problem I am led to believe is misunderstood more often than not that's why I suggested you read chapter 9 of Steven Strogatz book. Like I say I'm hopeless at maths as are most of us but Strogatz is worth reading if you enjoy the subject.

By the way I left Ormond East Primary before you become house captain but it sounds like they must have dropped the selection criteria after I left.

What a strange response. There is only one correct answer to the question you asked and that 8.75. The words you wrote are meaningless because they wrong. It isnt matter of over simplification because anyone who has even the slightest understanding of maths knows there is only one answer. You speak a lot but fail when questioned. Could you tell us what other answers could there possibly be to your question. I again expect riddles and wrong answers but please amuse me and just about everyone else reading this thread. But please remember the exact question you asked. And yes they may have dropped the selection criteria when you left but luckily for most they made maths compulsary.

And just a hint, you dont need to keep telling us you are hopeless at maths because its plainly obvious.
Thanks for the hint. So Brisbane are 75% better than us, context is important I think. They aren't 75% better than us, your example sounds like it works because of the numbers you were working with, that is a hint for you.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

Thanks for the hint. So Brisbane are 75% better than us, context is important I think. They aren't 75% better than us, your example sounds like it works because of the numbers you were working with, that is a hint for you.

My god CM, who said Brisbane were 75% better than us apart from you. They have won 75% more games than us. If we had won one game and they had one 2 games they would have won 100% more games than us but both sides would be classed as shithouse. I notice you didnt answer any of those basic questions. How many times do you have to be told you are wrong and by how many people till you realise you are wrong?

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Way to ruin yet another thread p66.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

My god CM, who said Brisbane were 75% better than us apart from you. They have won 75% more games than us. If we had won one game and they had one 2 games they would have won 100% more games than us but both sides would be classed as shithouse. I notice you didnt answer any of those basic questions. How many times do you have to be told you are wrong and by how many people till you realise you are wrong?

Release your mind and clear yourself of your obsession with right and wrong and think about the relationship between the numbers only.

If we had won one game and they had won 2 games then that would be 3 wins in total by both teams, or if it helps, think of wins as being lollipops. Then the correct expression would be they would have 33% more lollipops, it doesn't make them have a 100% better record than us because we have one lollipop our selves out of a total of 3 lollipops.

Brisbane has 75% better record than us...your words. Spin it any way you like but using your primary school example just shows how misleading that statement was in the context of our initial discussion and how we got to this point.

Over to you Captain Wilson!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:Way to ruin yet another thread p66.

I have an idea. Start another one. its not against the law.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

I have an idea. Start another one. its not against the law.
Actually we better be careful and get this discussion back on topic otherwise this might get moved to the mathematics forum.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Release your mind and clear yourself of your obsession with right and wrong and think about the relationship between the numbers only.

If we had won one game and they had won 2 games then that would be 3 wins in total by both teams, or if it helps, think of wins as being lollipops. Then the correct expression would be they would have 33% more lollipops, it doesn't make them have a 100% better record than us because we have one lollipop our selves out of a total of 3 lollipops.

Brisbane has 75% better record than us...your words. Spin it any way you like but using your primary school example just shows how misleading that statement was in the context of our initial discussion and how we got to this point.

And they do have a 75% better winning record than us. That doesnt even slightly mean they are 75% better than us. And the example I used does mean the side has 100% more wins than is. No idea about lollipops and 33% becauses it isnt relevant to what I said. Unfortunately for you maths is as simple as right and wrong. You are either right or wrong and in this case just about everything you have said is on the wrong side of the ledger. It has provided me with plenty of laughs as Im sure a few others bar JM who really couldnt give a stuff about the thread but saw an opportunity to have a go at me. Water, duck, back.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

And they do have a 75% better winning record than us. That doesnt even slightly mean they are 75% better than us. And the example I used does mean the side has 100% more wins than is. No idea about lollipops and 33% becauses it isnt relevant to what I said. Unfortunately for you maths is as simple as right and wrong. You are either right or wrong and in this case just about everything you have said is on the wrong side of the ledger. It has provided me with plenty of laughs as Im sure a few others bar JM who really couldnt give a stuff about the thread but saw an opportunity to have a go at me. Water, duck, back.
Plugs go back through this thread and count how many posters agreed with you and then also count the posters who could see the other side...actually, don't go back and count because you'll only get the numbers wrong. It has been a good laugh hey!...most interesting thread we've had for ages.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Brisbane nailed there recruiting last year and the players they replaced with those will turn out well in front of what they lost.

Daniel McStay > Billy Longer
Lewis Taylor > Elliott Yeo
James Aish @ 7 Billings @ 3 (dont see Billings making it as an out right midfielder).
Darcy Gardiner @ 22 has been a better defender option than Bruce.
Jono Freeman via Academy.

Ironical when the Saints were screaming for geniune midfielders and key position players. At this stage I would put the Lions recruitment team streets ahead of what Pelchen and crew achieved!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
noob
Club Player

I totally agree that Brisbane did extremely well, but St.Kilda only had 3 selected draft picks. The first two picks have done well and the other player has been injured. So we've done fine for what we had. Although.. I'd be pretty angry if we only have 3 or 4 picks to select again if we don't get quality players through trade/free agency. How can you make so little changes to your list when you've come 16th and 18th respectively. You don't need a top 20 pick to go up the ladder. Look at Sydney. All 30-40 range picks. And now Brisbane.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

noob wrote:I totally agree that Brisbane did extremely well, but St.Kilda only had 3 selected draft picks. The first two picks have done well and the other player has been injured. So we've done fine for what we had. Although.. I'd be pretty angry if we only have 3 or 4 picks to select again if we don't get quality players through trade/free agency. How can you make so little changes to your list when you've come 16th and 18th respectively. You don't need a top 20 pick to go up the ladder. Look at Sydney. All 30-40 range picks. And now Brisbane.
I 100% concur.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

noob wrote:I totally agree that Brisbane did extremely well, but St.Kilda only had 3 selected draft picks. The first two picks have done well and the other player has been injured. So we've done fine for what we had. Although.. I'd be pretty angry if we only have 3 or 4 picks to select again if we don't get quality players through trade/free agency. How can you make so little changes to your list when you've come 16th and 18th respectively. You don't need a top 20 pick to go up the ladder. Look at Sydney. All 30-40 range picks. And now Brisbane.
The only difference between last and first is pick 1. Apart from that every pick the premier has is actually slightly better than the wooden spooner's picks.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

I don't think we can put it down merely to last year trade/draft period, which looks to me to be our best off season in years, particularly our draft picks and rookie in Eli. They didn't out do us last draft, merely are further along the line.

Brissy did get the steal of the draft in Taylor, looks a real gun, and hope he continues to flourish as he's great to watch..

They are further developed than us, we only have Steven in the peak to soon-to-peak age group that is potential A grade, they have half a dozen.. I have Armo just below this level. There defence is well structured also, and Martin has been a revelation (I was dead keen on grabbing him when he was available, good, hard working player).

I anticipate Brissy will be better next year, and L'burger and Rich will add heaps to their engine room.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

And they do have a 75% better winning record than us.
I could have sworn that we have played 20 games this season

That said we probably only turned up to play in 7 :evil:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Lets stick to the facts shall we:

2013 - 10 wins (plus lost to the Cats by 1 point in Rd 23 at Kardina Park)
2014 - 7 wins

So they have actually gone backwards. I don't think there is any 'secret'. They played some decent footy last year as well - and take out Brown and Black and you lose a bit.

The 'expectations' thing was completely media driven. For some reason the media panicked about the so called 'exodus' and the coaching change and everyone somehow came to some conclusion they would finish bottom and be a basket case.

But the facts say - they aren't a bad young side.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Mon 18 Aug 2014 8:53pm, edited 2 times in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

And they do have a 75% better winning record than us.
I could have sworn that we have played 20 games this season

That said we probably only turned up to play in 7 :evil:

They have and have won 75% more games than us so I would class that as 75% better winning record than us. Maybe I worded it wrong but i dont think so but one thing is for sure, they have won 75% more games than us. That there is no issue.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:I don't think we can put it down merely to last year trade/draft period, which looks to me to be our best off season in years, particularly our draft picks and rookie in Eli. They didn't out do us last draft, merely are further along the line.

Brissy did get the steal of the draft in Taylor, looks a real gun, and hope he continues to flourish as he's great to watch..

They are further developed than us, we only have Steven in the peak to soon-to-peak age group that is potential A grade, they have half a dozen.. I have Armo just below this level. There defence is well structured also, and Martin has been a revelation (I was dead keen on grabbing him when he was available, good, hard working player).

I anticipate Brissy will be better next year, and L'burger and Rich will add heaps to their engine room.
Merrett and Maguire are on the wrong side of 30 and the loss of Johnathon Brown has neither been fully felt yet let alone a replacement made. They have had some positives this season in terms of finding some new players but they have some serious holes to fill in key spine positions.

I can't see them getting out of a bottom 4 spot next season myself but good luck to them if they do. I don't mind Queensland teams doing well because it's good for footy.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

Dear god - are you 100% on drugs !!??

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
dragit
Saintsational Legend

We brought in 9 new players this year though

with:
Billings, Dunstan, acres, savage, longer, Delaney, Bruce, Weller, Holmes,

3 or 4 draft picks are fine if you trade in a few more too.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

You can't be serious - you're blaming P66 for this train wreck ?? You're 100% wrong. Lay 100% of the blame at the feet of the delusional CM with his talk of cakes and lollipops and his complete and utter failure to grasp primary school level maths.......

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
crippsy
Club Player

All this maths is giving me a headache!!

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:
You can't be serious - you're blaming P66 for this train wreck ?? You're 100% wrong. Lay 100% of the blame at the feet of the delusional CM with his talk of cakes and lollipops and his complete and utter failure to grasp primary school level maths.......
I admit that my grasp on primary school level maths isn't good but this is way above that so that probably explains why you have entered into battle unarmed. However In the context of P66's interjection, which was him inferring that the Lions were 75% better. Tell me that said interjecting doesn't fit P66's Modus Operandi. He has since tried to screw it around but I will choose to believe he was twisting things as usual.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
True Believer wrote:
I admit that my grasp on primary school level maths isn't good but this is way above that so that probably explains why you have entered into battle unarmed. However In the context of P66's interjection, which was him inferring that the Lions were 75% better. Tell me that said interjecting doesn't fit P66's Modus Operandi. He has since tried to screw it around but I will choose to believe he was twisting things as usual.

CM I dont think Sydney are 75% better than us let alone the Lions. You understand how good they would have to be to be 75% better? It was a simple response that Brisbane and the WB had won 75% more games than us.