Sadly

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Sadly

Johnny Member wrote:No, absolute the contrare!

If it was just the same comp with a different name, I'd agree that historically records had relevance.

But it's not the same comp at all.

A state comp which had no draft and no salary cap, compared to a 5 state comp with a draft and salary cap means that clubs operate in a completely different way.

I see it almost like a T20 cricketer including his stats with his test figures!

Totally different comps and totally different operating guidelines.

Achievements in one or the other don't detract from the other, but they are separate.

Carlton have not won 16 AFL flags. They've won 1.

They won 15 VFL flags.

In my opinion, they're completely different things.

They were a club that thrived in a state system where you had a zone to build from, and could buy whatever and whomever you wanted.
Well done. Their VFL record was great.

But as an AFL club, where you draft and manage your list under a totally different system, they've been a very ordinary performer.

And maybe if that was true I may agree but what you said isnt true. Firstly Sydney were already in Sydney and only 2 other states were added. The draft already existed. Started in 1981. So actually bugger all changed from 1986 to 1987. And you said it wasnt about players but clubs and then use a person in cricket as an example.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

It's called an analogy, not an example.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

And I'm not trying to get you to agree with me.

I couldn't care less if you agree with me or not. I'm merely expressing my opinion.

Even if I wanted you to agree with me, I'm not stupid enough to try. That would be as futile as trying to bend a spoon with my mind (an analogy, not an example).

When presented with valid points, you simply revert to semantics and/or target subsequent sentences or throwaway lines in order to detract from the original discussion anyway.

It's futile.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:Even more so due to the fact that the rules were entirely different in this old comp.
True that. And seeing as the AFL changes the rules every year, we shouldn't count any records before the current year. Problem solved! Now we're on zero flags along with everyone else. But also zero wooden spoons (for another three months).

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:And I'm not trying to get you to agree with me.

I couldn't care less if you agree with me or not. I'm merely expressing my opinion.

Even if I wanted you to agree with me, I'm not stupid enough to try. That would be as futile as trying to bend a spoon with my mind (an analogy, not an example).

When presented with valid points, you simply revert to semantics and/or target subsequent sentences or throwaway lines in order to detract from the original discussion anyway.

It's futile.

Yes i shouldnt argue something I totally disagree with. By the way why are your points valid and I revert to semantics etc. I would have thought I used total logic when discussing it. By the way the same goes for me. I dont care if you agree with me. I just pointed out why I didnt agree with you. I can certainly change my mind if the points prove I was wrong in my thinking in the first place. I dont think you did enough to do that.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:Just further to that, using the EPL as an example, if they suddenly became an international comp and invited in teams from other countries and introduced a draft and a salary cap, and changed their name - then I think the records of all clubs in the old EPL would become irrelevant in discussions regarding the new comp too.

I don't want to 'argue' with you Johnny cos you are an alright guy. But the above doesn't have relevance. If it happened the. It would be a new Super league and would have a new history.