jaxons & Tony74 !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Re: jaxons & Tony74 !!

jaxons wrote:Nobody has to like what I say, it is the facts.
If I am so far off the mark why wasn't he given a contract extension after he was told he was getting one?
The board and executive are well aware of what is going on I assure you.
It was the revered US sociologist, ambassador and 18 year Senator, Daniel Moynihan who said "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts."

Modern media and communications have reduced the word "fact" to a malleable misappropriation, making it adaptable to perspectives and opinions offered by those without disinterested objectivity. Witness the recent performances of the nation's latest Environment Minister, who 2 decades ago won his PhD from a prestigious US institution for his thesis on the inviolability of the worth of pricing carbon. Now he consults Wikipedia for his evidence to deny his researched stance of 2 decades back, and quotes this source as fact. It is only the corroboration of the independent voice, sustained by the application of accepted rational process, that can withstand the skepticism of the truly inquisitive.

There are some who choose to peddle the opinions of some as fact, selectively carving off simplistic strands of tales from the disaffected and dressing them up as irrefutable. Rhetoric is a design, a construct, that has become the method of choice of the latter day commentariat.

Narrow perspectives become fuel to propel agendas. Egoists become enfranchised by the bestowing of privilege, believing themselves to have been awarded by virtue of some nebulous superiority.

Belief of whatsoever transmogrifies into evangelical zeal, a belief in something beyond actual verification, yet something that morphs into reality for some.

Meanwhile, it is the presence of those who hold alternative views that highlights, so graphically, the utter misuse of the word "fact".

That's a roundabout way of suggesting Tony74's opinion differs from yours, which highlights both the nature of your proclamations, and that there exists, within roughly the same theatre, a different set of "facts" to those you put forward as unarguable.

You wax and wane on the crimes against the greater club good of Watters. Yet, there exists many who suggest this is not correct. You hint at a superior vantage point, yet I now know some of those with an entirely adversarial view are very well placed. Competing claims of complete fact, based on the privilege of some proximity to the inside, abound.

So, the not so privileged are left with a choice. Tag along with limited or expressed views or take in a broader view by listening to those with their mitts on the tiller, and conclude what makes sense.

You see, your rhetorical question about 'if I'm wrong why didn't he get a contract extension after he'd been told he'd get one?' is more than countered by the statements of the new president. What he said is entirely plausible, very reasonable and damn difficult to refute as untrue. Further, I would hope and trust the board are as aware as you suggest. Yet, the position remains unaltered.

An unvested associate relayed the remarks of the newly admitted Billy Longer in an interview this afternoon. By that relating the Longer kiddie seems to have been heaping high praise on the role the current coach played in convincing the young man to join the merry band of men at Seaford. I do not claim such information as anything beyond interesting. I do claim it is a suggestion of the current coach's ongoing primary involvement in our immediate future performance. What's more, I interpret such news as suggestive of a welcome coherence across the various areas of responsibility within the footy club.

I'm told Longer said he had Watters on "speed dial" and that had been the case in the lead up to his arrival on the list. From that I take considerable heart. My associate also commented on Longer seeming to be a bright lad. That, too, I like.

We will see what will be.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I suspect some of the older players egos are bruised as a result of losing a little status in the club rooms with the new coaching regime. We all know how these things work in any workplace . The old guard dont like a regime change and end up white anting the new boss. They imagine apocryphally that somehow a new boss will come in and reinstate their privileges .
Someone who appreciates them. But that doesnt ever happen. There is every chance a new boss will come in and just blast them out so they should be careful what they hope for.

Jaxons id be much obliged if you were more forthright about what the coach has done wrong. I dont see how it can be such a dark secret.

At least give us a category

Personality
Match day planning
Selection
Training methods
Motivation techniques
Opposition analysis
Game plan

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote:
If I am so far off the mark why wasn't he given a contract extension after he was told he was getting one?
It was the revered US sociologist, ambassador and 18 year Senator, Daniel Moynihan who said "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts."

Modern media and communications have reduced the word "fact" to a malleable misappropriation, making it adaptable to perspectives and opinions offered by those without disinterested objectivity. Witness the recent performances of the nation's latest Environment Minister, who 2 decades ago won his PhD from a prestigious US institution for his thesis on the inviolability of the worth of pricing carbon. Now he consults Wikipedia for his evidence to deny his researched stance of 2 decades back, and quotes this source as fact. It is only the corroboration of the independent voice, sustained by the application of accepted rational process, that can withstand the skepticism of the truly inquisitive.

There are some who choose to peddle the opinions of some as fact, selectively carving off simplistic strands of tales from the disaffected and dressing them up as irrefutable. Rhetoric is a design, a construct, that has become the method of choice of the latter day commentariat.

Narrow perspectives become fuel to propel agendas. Egoists become enfranchised by the bestowing of privilege, believing themselves to have been awarded by virtue of some nebulous superiority.

Belief of whatsoever transmogrifies into evangelical zeal, a belief in something beyond actual verification, yet something that morphs into reality for some.

Meanwhile, it is the presence of those who hold alternative views that highlights, so graphically, the utter misuse of the word "fact".

That's a roundabout way of suggesting Tony74's opinion differs from yours, which highlights both the nature of your proclamations, and that there exists, within roughly the same theatre, a different set of "facts" to those you put forward as unarguable.

You wax and wane on the crimes against the greater club good of Watters. Yet, there exists many who suggest this is not correct. You hint at a superior vantage point, yet I now know some of those with an entirely adversarial view are very well placed. Competing claims of complete fact, based on the privilege of some proximity to the inside, abound.

So, the not so privileged are left with a choice. Tag along with limited or expressed views or take in a broader view by listening to those with their mitts on the tiller, and conclude what makes sense.

You see, your rhetorical question about 'if I'm wrong why didn't he get a contract extension after he'd been told he'd get one?' is more than countered by the statements of the new president. What he said is entirely plausible, very reasonable and damn difficult to refute as untrue. Further, I would hope and trust the board are as aware as you suggest. Yet, the position remains unaltered.

An unvested associate relayed the remarks of the newly admitted Billy Longer in an interview this afternoon. By that relating the Longer kiddie seems to have been heaping high praise on the role the current coach played in convincing the young man to join the merry band of men at Seaford. I do not claim such information as anything beyond interesting. I do claim it is a suggestion of the current coach's ongoing primary involvement in our immediate future performance. What's more, I interpret such news as suggestive of a welcome coherence across the various areas of responsibility within the footy club.

I'm told Longer said he had Watters on "speed dial" and that had been the case in the lead up to his arrival on the list. From that I take considerable heart. My associate also commented on Longer seeming to be a bright lad. That, too, I like.

Extraordinarily well put.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
The OtherThommo wrote:

+1

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saintnick12
Club Player

SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:I'm an insider....

You have never played the game so what would you know.

8-)

Love it 8-)

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
The OtherThommo wrote:

Yep. Great post. Someone who's really thinking about the situation. Great to read TOT.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

saintnick12 wrote:
SainterK wrote:

8-)

Love it 8-)
Hey saintnick12, long time no post...

Hope you and yours are well

saintnick12
Club Player

Yeah it's been a while.

Got a bit sick of the combative nature around here and needed a bit of a break from it.
Trade period this year brought me back ;)

Love the pic... Might have to post that on my FB wall.

Looking forward to the new season. Overall the trade period was positive for us despite some heartache along the way with losing players. It's funny. The day the membership renewals arrived was the night the news was running with grabs about mass exodus of players and Roo possibly leaving. And I was thinking for the first time "what the hell are they asking me to sign up to and do they even know". For the first time ever I contemplated writing to the club. Within a few weeks things have turned around remarkably. Traded well and excited about the draft and the season ahead. Big change within a few weeks and from what I've been reading on here, seems most are feeling similarly positive, knowing we won't win many games, but believing in the bigger picture.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
Simon Templar
Club Player

You blokes have got to be kidding.....wtf?!

Go you good things....!!!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

The big question is how much it would cost us to exit SW now and if we can afford thst.

Might be better to keep him for half of next season and then move him on.

Pelchen is far more important then the coach at this stage in our cycle

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:The big question is how much it would cost us to exit SW now and if we can afford thst.

Can we wait andd see on both. Pelchan hasnt acheived anything yet until the blokes we traded for prove they can play. SW has a year to go on his contract. let the guy finish his contract before we think of sacking him.

spert
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:The big question is how much it would cost us to exit SW now and if we can afford thst.

Can we wait andd see on both. Pelchan hasnt acheived anything yet until the blokes we traded for prove they can play. SW has a year to go on his contract. let the guy finish his contract before we think of sacking him.
This is true.. We have traded and got who we believe could be good group of players..yet to be proven. Watters has taken on a list on the decline and is trying to rebuild in a short time frame, and it seems a few senior players couldn't take whatever medicine SW has been handing out (hey guys, you're not as good as you think you are). Let's see what happens and look forward to 2014 as we take on a new direction and hopefully a successful one.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Perhaps. What if someone better is available during next season? The question is if SW is not part of the plan for 2015 you need to move him on well before trading season IMO for the smoothest tranistion.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Perhaps. What if someone better is available during next season? The question is if SW is not part of the plan for 2015 you need to move him on well before trading season IMO for the smoothest tranistion.

I think part of the problem is that Pelchen has more control than our coach over the list. We saw the way Melbourne got a new coach that came in with a new list plan and changed things up for the worse. A new coach can come in and expect that he should play a certain way with a hand picked list.

Watter's might be getting told who to play and how which is making his life harder for a man desperate to hold on to his career. If we get our new coach they will be trying to pressure back the other way and maybe the board think it will be hard to find another guy willing to take the same guidelines as Watter's.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I guess there's also the changing of the guard with a new President and soon a new CEO, and like many businesses, the new regime don't necessary want to inherit existing management and want to stamp their own identity..whether that equates to replacing the coach remains to be seen.

evo
Club Player

Looks like my source was very close.....http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-30/w ... tage-lions

evo wrote: Karnezis & Longer to us - Armo + ?? to GC.
Got a tweet from someone who is almost always on the money.

My bad Brissy obviously, also heard pick 3 could be used in another deal. -- (Melb beat us to it)

I posted this on the 10th, A week before Jaxons.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

evo wrote:Looks like my source was very close.....http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-30/w ... tage-lions

My bad Brissy obviously, also heard pick 3 could be used in another deal. -- (Melb beat us to it)

Ask your source who we're getting in the PSD :D

Nee!
falka
Club Player

So what could we have got for Arno? Pick 7 I would have done

jaxons
Club Player

evo wrote:Looks like my source was very close.....http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-30/w ... tage-lions

Your source was not even close as we weren't after Longer until McEvoy was traded and had zero interest in Karnezis ever.
It is easy to say Armitage to qld as he originated from there and we hear the same about Sam Gilbert each year too.
Pick 3 was never on the table but we would have considered a deal using it to get 1 from GWS, conversation never took place as GWS were not interested.
You are dealing in rumours from third parties...please!

evo
Club Player

jaxons wrote:

Your source was not even close as we weren't after Longer until McEvoy was traded and had zero interest in Karnezis ever.
It is easy to say Armitage to qld as he originated from there and we hear the same about Sam Gilbert each year too.
Pick 3 was never on the table but we would have considered a deal using it to get 1 from GWS, conversation never took place as GWS were not interested.
Is that not what you are doing ?

jaxons
Club Player

spert wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

This is true.. We have traded and got who we believe could be good group of players..yet to be proven. Watters has taken on a list on the decline and is trying to rebuild in a short time frame, and it seems a few senior players couldn't take whatever medicine SW has been handing out (hey guys, you're not as good as you think you are). Let's see what happens and look forward to 2014 as we take on a new direction and hopefully a successful one.
Joffaboy would you just let SW finish his contract if it is going to damage us further, seriously?
Or would you act now and stop the bleeding?
And you are so far off the mark on the senior players not liking his medicine it's not funny.
Also hoping for a new direction in 2014!!

jaxons
Club Player

evo wrote:
jaxons wrote:

Is that not what you are doing ?
You can think whatever you like regarding where my information comes from.
Go back and look at the 3 things I told our loyal Saints fans here first and see if you think I am dealing in rumours.

evo
Club Player

If you are getting information direct which I doubt, you are doing the club no favours spreading it here, if not you are doing like I said.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote:
spert wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Joffaboy would you just let SW finish his contract if it is going to damage us further, seriously?
Or would you act now and stop the bleeding?
And you are so far off the mark on the senior players not liking his medicine it's not funny.
Also hoping for a new direction in 2014!!

We can do far more damage sacking him now. There is sponsorship and bad press and we would be in trouble with both if he went. No point in talking about it. he aint going anywhere now.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote:

There is only one way to settle this;

We're going to line you both up against a wall and whoever can p!ss the highest up the wall is the winner :wink: !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!