Tom Ledger

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Tom Ledger

SainterK wrote:Boys got around him...thought people insinuated he wasn't liked? Obviously untrue
Not that I know if he was well liked or not, however if he had come on board with team expectations of late that could have still related in the group hug.

Gablett's teammates at Geelong told him to pull he finger out, so even the best of the talented are immune to team dynamics.

I hope he goes well against Freo and earns some more backslapping.

Freo will certainly be a sterner test. Suns game was promising.

But if we are bringing in 5-8 players including rookie elevations, then a few will not make it as there are only 3 retirements to date.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Apologies if this has been mentioned already but in the "Coach's pet" video on the Saints website quite a few of the players nominate Ledger as the one who gets the biggest sprays from Watters.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

HitTheBoundary wrote:Apologies if this has been mentioned already but in the "Coach's pet" video on the Saints website quite a few of the players nominate Ledger as the one who gets the biggest sprays from Watters.
That can be a big positive for Ledger. More than likely means he will be at StKilda next season.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Just watched the replay and Ledger was much better and much more accurate than I thought at the game live.

Hit most of his targets and contested really well for the ball.

Hope he plays a100 games for us.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Just watched the replay and Ledger was much better and much more accurate than I thought at the game live.

Hit most of his targets and contested really well for the ball...
Better late than never.

Unlike uncontrollable spruikers of certain players, I can see the good and the bad - and call it. Tom has much good.

First, he can kick both feet the same distance - 50 metres (not that he did that on Sunday). Second, he has the knack of being at the ball drop. Third, his inclination is to take the long rather than the short option.

Now the bad. He is one paced. He'll therefore need to work the left side a lot more to his advantage, but hopefully that will come with confidence. Second (and linked), his handball is one sided (has a lot of mates at the Saints at the moment). I would advise him to get videos of Sam Mitchell and then work and work and work to emulate him. And finally, his biggest area to work on is his tank. Sometimes age will bring this, but sometimes the player just doesn't have it in him. He is still young (21), so time may be on his side.

Having said that, there must be some personal reason why he has had some few games in a season that has been so bad. I just hope that we don't lose a ten year player (to Freo) because the coach can't work out the right approach. If we are to be anything in the next five years, he is going to have to be a big part of it.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist - nobody pays any attention to what you say about football.

You credibility has forever been destroyed with the foolish things you posted about Steven.

Really didn't even bother reading your post above, because it has no relevance or credibility.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:perfectionist - nobody pays any attention to what you say about football.

You credibility has forever been destroyed with the foolish things you posted about Steven.

Really didn't even bother reading your post above, because it has no relevance or credibility.
Abuse is always such a persuasive argument.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:
joffaboy wrote:perfectionist - nobody pays any attention to what you say about football.

Joffaboy is correct. You have no credibility

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

If you're going to avoid all the posts by everyone who's ever said something stupid on an Internet forum then you're not going to have much to read on here.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:
joffaboy wrote:Just watched the replay and Ledger was much better and much more accurate than I thought at the game live.

Hit most of his targets and contested really well for the ball...
Better late than never.

Unlike uncontrollable spruikers of certain players, I can see the good and the bad - and call it. Tom has much good.

First, he can kick both feet the same distance - 50 metres (not that he did that on Sunday). Second, he has the knack of being at the ball drop. Third, his inclination is to take the long rather than the short option.

Now the bad. He is one paced. He'll therefore need to work the left side a lot more to his advantage, but hopefully that will come with confidence. Second (and linked), his handball is one sided (has a lot of mates at the Saints at the moment). I would advise him to get videos of Sam Mitchell and then work and work and work to emulate him. And finally, his biggest area to work on is his tank. Sometimes age will bring this, but sometimes the player just doesn't have it in him. He is still young (21), so time may be on his side.

Having said that, there must be some personal reason why he has had some few games in a season that has been so bad. I just hope that we don't lose a ten year player (to Freo) because the coach can't work out the right approach. If we are to be anything in the next five years, he is going to have to be a big part of it.
The main reason he hasn't got a game is because our midfield has remained intact this year and he offers nothing over and above to displace them.

His skill base has never been the question, his desire and application and ability to play to team instructions appears to be the work in progress.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Who decides who has credibility.... Isn't that a perspective thing....

No one can or should speak for me, so to say someone has no credibility on a forum.... Should be followed with an IMO because if not, it's a statement on behalf of all readers... Which is a statement with no basis, just a POV.... From an individual poster...

Not sure if I remember any of perfectionists posts.... I do know that he has no more or no less credibility than any other poster... Including you JB... He's entitled to give his opinion, even if it doesn't suit your agenda?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I think a little bit of acknowledgement from perfectionist that Jack Steven is not the worst player of all time and that that was perhaps a reactive/short sighted call would go a long way towards reducing the ridicule he gets.

don't get me wrong, most of us have been wrong about one thing or another... or made some emotive posts b4 (except me of course) but given that perfectionist has persevered for sooo long on that particular topic... well lets just say ppl remember it a little more.

still who cares

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

His opinion though.... Can be accepted or not.... Does he have to conform?

He's probably got Jack wrong (no doubt after being a bit frustrated with turn overs) and made a big call when a bit wound up.... But it can also be argued people go a bit overboard with Jack.... Elite? All Australian? Best player?

He goes really well... He's not Cris Judd!

I hope he improves his decision making, beccause IMO if he does that.... He will be top notch

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

all opinions aren't equal though Mart

Perfectionist does not have to conform but that has a certain impact on credibility at this point.

You for example don't rave on about Steven like others... some people think he's almost elite, some ppl think he's doing well but a tad overrated... that's all good.

He is not however the worst saints players of all time. Even if you don't rate him, that opinion is no longer valid... because Perfectionist drove that for so long, there's angst about it now

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:His opinion though.... Can be accepted or not.... Does he have to conform?
Who said he had to conform? Why do you deal in sophistry all the time.

Yes it is his opinion, and my and many many others here as well after his hyperbolic and completely provocative postings about Jack Steven.
BigMart wrote:He's probably got Jack wrong (no doubt after being a bit frustrated with turn overs) and made a big call when a bit wound up.... But it can also be argued people go a bit overboard with Jack.... Elite? All Australian? Best player?
So he probably got it wrong that Jack Steven is the worst St.Kilda player of all time and a complete dud...OK :roll:

Jack Steven is certainly not elite or AA at the moment, may only ever be as good as he is now, but to say he was the worst player ever to play for our club was so outrageous, it shows perfectionist lacks any insight or cedibility when it comes to commenting on footballers.

I would have put it down to him trolling, the comments were so poor, but he repeated them over and over for weeks.
BigMart wrote:He goes really well... He's not Cris Judd!

I hope he improves his decision making, beccause IMO if he does that.... He will be top notch
So even if he doesn't in your opinion he is not the worst player ever for St.Kilda or a dud as perfectionist has stated and restated over and over?

As for Ledger happy that he looked good on the weekend. His kicking was much better on reflection after I had watched him on the replay. Liked his endevour and from what i saw gives just as much as Seb Ross does in the middle.

I think Ledger is worth persisting with and hopes he gets another go this week and next season.

Lance or James??

FQF
SS Life Member

I wouldn't read into this too much, but in his interview with SEN yesterday Lenny named Ledger as the guy most often dozing off during Scotty's team meetings. He said all the sophisticated tactics and "theory" bores him.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Every person can have an opinion of a players or anything for that matter but if its ilinformed it isnt an opinion its just plain stupid. To call jack the worst player to ever put on a jumper after he proved he was far from it is just silly and then even this year to call him a dud is again a badly informed opinion and that person deserves to cop something from some people. if i said Tony Lockett was a hack then its an thats deserves people to have a go at me because its clearly a poor opinion.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:I wouldn't read into this too much, but in his interview with SEN yesterday Lenny named Ledger as the guy most often dozing off during Scotty's team meetings. He said all the sophisticated tactics and "theory" bores him.

"Just like Kyle bloody Reimers!!!"

stinger
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:

you don't have credibility with me on the general forum...but you do on footy matters....with me anyway.... :wink: :wink:

apart from your opinions on jack.... :wink:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

If Ledger doesn't get the chop, then who does? So far, Blake, Koschitzke, Milne. With Curren to be elevated, we will probably chop 2 more players at the least. Surely Ledger would be in the gun. Ahmed Saad's impending penalty may be he only thing that saves him.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote:If Ledger doesn't get the chop, then who does? So far, Blake, Koschitzke, Milne. With Curren to be elevated, we will probably chop 2 more players at the least. Surely Ledger would be in the gun. Ahmed Saad's impending penalty may be he only thing that saves him.
i'd chop 6 of.., saad, dunell, ferguson, lever, maister, milera, pierce, and dennis-lane.......none of them are up to it....imho....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Ledger is most likely the smartest bloke on the list.... Doing biomedicine or something and got higher than 98 ATAR.... It's strange he can't handle 'sophisticated' football meeting, and tactics?!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Ledger is most likely the smartest bloke on the list.... Doing biomedicine or something and got higher than 98 ATAR.... It's strange he can't handle 'sophisticated' football meeting, and tactics?!

Well thats what Lenny said and he is at the meetings so we should go with him I would think.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Hello

Did you think it was strange also? Or just arguing a pointless argument? For the sake of it??

Oh, that's right, you mightn't be referring to me?? But I bet you are, stalker....

Hey P66.... I thought it was warmer today, and I reckon the sky appeared blue?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Its really weird.