SAINTS can’t afford to keep WATTERS!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Re: SAINTS can’t afford to keep WATTERS!

Lyon's coaching a team that's still two thirds players who couldn't do anything right under Harvey. They're sitting just outside the top four. Watters has piloted a finals team into the bottom four. If anyone's not worried, I envy them. I can't be sure right now that Watters isn't the problem. I can't help but look at Freo's spot on the ladder and wonder what if.

It could be the list. It could be the lack of quality kids. It could equally be that the kids who were played under Lyon have been failed by Watters. I'd love to believe that, either way, we'll come good again because of the cyclical nature of the draft, but I don't. I don't see the draft working in cycles. Most good teams have very few early draft picks and most bad teams have a lot of them. As often as there's a team like Richmond, on the rise with a wealth of draftees due to a decade-plus of futility, there's Freos, Geelongs and Sydneys that have very little in the way of predestined superstars.

My worry is, in five years time, we'll be one of those teams that has a lot of picks and can't quite figure out why it hasn't made us into a good team. I was also worried this far into Lyon's term though. I don't think we can afford to needlessly pay two coaches like Carlton is. If things haven't turned by the end of Watters contract, I can't see him getting an extension. I don't think we have any choice but to be optimistic, but each loss makes it harder. Particularly when we're as far from it as we were today.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
tweedaletomanning
Club Player

vacuous space wrote:Lyon's coaching a team that's still two thirds players who couldn't do anything right under Harvey. They're sitting just outside the top four. Watters has piloted a finals team into the bottom four. If anyone's not worried, I envy them. I can't be sure right now that Watters isn't the problem. I can't help but look at Freo's spot on the ladder and wonder what if.

It could be the list. It could be the lack of quality kids. It could equally be that the kids who were played under Lyon have been failed by Watters. I'd love to believe that, either way, we'll come good again because of the cyclical nature of the draft, but I don't. I don't see the draft working in cycles. Most good teams have very few early draft picks and most bad teams have a lot of them. As often as there's a team like Richmond, on the rise with a wealth of draftees due to a decade-plus of futility, there's Freos, Geelongs and Sydneys that have very little in the way of predestined superstars.

My worry is, in five years time, we'll be one of those teams that has a lot of picks and can't quite figure out why it hasn't made us into a good team. I was also worried this far into Lyon's term though. I don't think we can afford to needlessly pay two coaches like Carlton is. If things haven't turned by the end of Watters contract, I can't see him getting an extension. I don't think we have any choice but to be optimistic, but each loss makes it harder. Particularly when we're as far from it as we were today.
Good post!

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

vacuous space wrote:Lyon's coaching a team that's still two thirds players who couldn't do anything right under Harvey. They're sitting just outside the top four. Watters has piloted a finals team into the bottom four. If anyone's not worried, I envy them. I can't be sure right now that Watters isn't the problem. I can't help but look at Freo's spot on the ladder and wonder what if.

Good post VS, but look at RL 2011 season... played kids... but didn't really get anything out of them.. the slide had already started. he just jumped ship.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Greg T
Club Player

Agree.some good points.
Very worried.
This club just cannot maintain a winning culture .
There was no need for us to be a bottom 4 side

100 goals in 14 games...Lockett is the key
bigred
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:yup

got a bit of legs....Image
Gotta love it.

Our list is f***ed btw.
Absolutely f***ed.
Hanging our future on some kids that are, really, second tier.

Earlier in the year I didnt think we would bottom out over the next couple.
Now, I reckon we are dead set rooted. 2014 could be 2000 revisited. Bring out the yellow peril.

We will lose Roo, Dal, schnieds, fish, milne and the Lendog by 2015. Rooted.

Watters needs more time. Years. I reckon he will be lucky to be at Seaford past 2014.
Depends if we get a new Prez with some backbone that wont baulk at flying the flag.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Greg T wrote:

Agree.some good points.
Very worried.
This club just cannot maintain a winning culture .
There was no need for us to be a bottom 4 side
Agree.

But that's a question for the board.

Maybe we need a "sack the Prez/board" thread instead?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:Port Adelaide have the second youngest list in the AFL and look at the intensity and effort they a producing for their coach - surely you have to ask yourself WHY aren't St Kilda's?
Who are the better coaches that are available to us now?

Mark Neeld?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Buckets
SS Life Member

joffaboy wrote:Image

Sad clown says "SACK WATTERS"

Could not of said it better JB.

Sad clown is Sad Clown.

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

UNBELIEVABLE the lack of faith/ticker call it what you will, coming from some sections of our supporters base. Here we go again! SACK THE BOARD/COACH/BOOT STUDDER/ THE LADY WHO RUNS THE MUSEUM/THE CATERERS/ who have I left out?

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

thejiggingsaint wrote:UNBELIEVABLE the lack of faith/ticker call it what you will, coming from some sections of our supporters base. Here we go again! SACK THE BOARD/COACH/BOOT STUDDER/ THE LADY WHO RUNS THE MUSEUM/THE CATERERS/ who have I left out?
front desk girl at Moorabbin, drink runners? :D

Fortius Quo Fidelius
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Not to forget the bloke that sells peanuts!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

And don't even start on Laidley :-)

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

MAN! Laidley's selling the peanuts now? that is a worry!!!!!! :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Can I just ask the Watters bashes to spell out what their expectations are and how they think we should be winning games?

Im all ears.

let me remind you it is 2013 - not 2009

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Some need to get some perspective. We are no good. It wouldn't matter who is coaching us we would struggle. I reckon Watters is about 20% focused on the now and about 80% on the future.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Really? haven't they changed their calendars yet? Well said Con!!!!

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

We can be no good I can handle that(sadly) but what I do like to see is players having a go ,for the last 3 quarters yesterday that wasn't" the case,the players looked disinterested,is that the coach or is it a combination of things ,I"m not sure!?

PADDLEPOP1000
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Funny I said the self same thing back in 2001/02/03...sort of changed in 2004/05/06/08/09/10

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

PADDLEPOP1001 wrote:We can be no good I can handle that(sadly) but what I do like to see is players having a go ,for the last 3 quarters yesterday that wasn't" the case,the players looked disinterested,is that the coach or is it a combination of things ,I"m not sure!?
IMO it's mostly to do with ageing players past their best and young players out of their depth and still finding their feet.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I agree with that assessment Old Mate!

Buckets
SS Life Member

The bolded is absolute crap. By halfway through the 2011 season Harvey had barely 26 fit players to choose from due to injury. A majority of those coming from his best 22. This year and last Lyon has been blessed. Yes Pav and Sandi out but in terms of other injuries he has had it a lot easier than Harvey did.

Harvey in 2010 had gotten Freo to the finals and they were seen to be pushing for top 4 the next year, injuries however cruelled that and left the door open for Lyon to stab him in the back.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Spot ON buckets!!!

spert
Saintsational Legend

Buckets wrote:

The bolded is absolute crap. By halfway through the 2011 season Harvey had barely 26 fit players to choose from due to injury. A majority of those coming from his best 22. This year and last Lyon has been blessed. Yes Pav and Sandi out but in terms of other injuries he has had it a lot easier than Harvey did.

Harvey in 2010 had gotten Freo to the finals and they were seen to be pushing for top 4 the next year, injuries however cruelled that and left the door open for Lyon to stab him in the back.
I think the Freo prez and board stabbed Harvey ( and us) in the back

Buckets
SS Life Member

Lyon knew that by accepting the contract with Freo that he was kicking Harvey out of his. If he didn't accept then Harvey would still have coached the 2012 season.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

Stephen Theodore wrote:And don't even start on Laidley :-)
SACK Laidley, he's a bloody bad omen!

Fortius Quo Fidelius