Saints Sign Roberton

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

defacto
Club Player

Re: Saints Sign Roberton

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
defacto wrote: so why did we recruit roberton? unless were looking for something soft for the players to rest on?
have you ever seen Roberton play ?? soft is not the word you would use to describe him he is fearless at the ball (improve on Gram) he is poised under pressure (upgrade on Raph) can take a good contested mark (upgrade on Winmar) can run and carry the ball (upgrade on polo) is only 21(upgrade on Peake) and wants to play for us (upgrade on Cripps)... plus his foot skills are much better then Gram Polo Peake Winmar and Raph combined... the focus has been on getting younger fellas who can run and can use the ball by foot as well as have a strong character Roberton fits that perfectly.. will he be a star ? prob not but he has more upside than those who gave up there spot for him so big picture if Roberton is our worst player on the team list then we have improved form last year by a big margin
oh come on. micale has a soft spot for him, ever since he saw him:

he's soft mate and not up to it

SuperDuper
Club Player

Good signing IMO. The fact remains, he has far more games under his belt than any of the kids on our list of the same age.
Of course he needs to improve, but why wouldnt he? We are expecting improvement for all the youngsters on our list. He can mark well and is a nice kick and works hard.
Worth a punt IMO.... not much was risked on him... got him for nothing,.
Arguments about a FB are a separate issue.... for example we clearly kept Blake as a KPD option so if we wanted a mature FB we could replace Blake on the list...
There are plenty of other options too.... It is not Roberton OR mature FB, if we wanted both that was available
But on whether we should take Roberton for free, I say yes.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote: oh come on. micale has a soft spot for him, ever since he saw him:

he's soft mate and not up to it
heck then why are we wasting money on the recriutment staff and a head of football in Pelchin if its secretly Michale running the show ?? :roll: :roll: :roll: seriously mate have a think about it Roberton was picked because he has obviously shown somthing in the last few weeks he has been training with us Michale would be still sorting out his desk and where to park his car at seaford not taking control of the recruitment

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:have you ever seen Roberton play ?? soft is not the word you would use to describe him he is fearless at the ball (improve on Gram) he is poised under pressure (upgrade on Raph) can take a good contested mark (upgrade on Winmar) can run and carry the ball (upgrade on polo) is only 21(upgrade on Peake) and wants to play for us (upgrade on Cripps)... plus his foot skills are much better then Gram Polo Peake Winmar and Raph combined... the focus has been on getting younger fellas who can run and can use the ball by foot as well as have a strong character Roberton fits that perfectly.. will he be a star ? prob not but he has more upside than those who gave up there spot for him...

so big picture... if Roberton is our worst player on the team list...

then we have improved form last year by a big margin
What Trav said!

Go Trav..., you.are.on.a.roll! 8-)

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

We have a top notch full back = Sam Fisher.

So who plays the other 5 spots?

We need better ball use coming out of defense and Dylan can be part of that.

Geary Sam Simpkin Gwilt
Roberton Gilbert Dempster Siposs?

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

This is the worst recruiting decision the SAINTS have ever made - the guy is worst than Gumby Elliott !

I repeat Farkin disgraceful Saints !

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

Sounds good to me. 21 years old, 37 games already ( some with Lyin'), lives locally, got a good skill-set, including good disposal under pressure. Cost nothing, and he's well through the development phase. No brainer really.

He shouldn't be compared to a State League gumby who only might do a job. Only relevance is he's last in, but we seem to be sticking with the best player available scenario.

Bet he plays at least 100 games for us.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:This is the worst recruiting decision the SAINTS have ever made - the guy is worst than Gumby Elliott !

I repeat Farkin disgraceful Saints !
get a grip.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Sobraz
SS Life Member

Have no issue with signing Roberton, and truthfully no very little about him, so will keep an open mind, with a quiet optimism..

Do not understand the calls for a FB that isn't currently in the system or did not get picked up, hence judged to this point not AFL standard (what Roberton has proved he is at least close to)... If we want to be a good/improving side, it takes guys that are at the level, and above it, irrespective of position. Not just picking guys not up to it purely on positional needs.. We'd obviously be worse off...

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Not that anyone probably cares but… I should add,

I have absolutely no problem with adding Roberton to the list, just disappointed that it is with the last spot on our list. By all accounts, Joel Tippett has had a ripping year in the SANFL and I think that we are in a position where taking a risk on someone like that could be much more beneficial than re-contracting a 32 YO Blake, or any of Kosi, Wilkes, Jones… even Farren Ray who I like, is not going to win us a flag, we should have got him to a club where he could play 22 games, instead of playing 9-10 with us and taking games away from Siposs, Newnes, Dunell, Milera, Wright etc

Just remember that Simpkin came as a rookie and Fisher came to us mature at pick 55, so not being taken early in the draft doesn't mean everything.

So anyway, congratulations Dylan, I am actually excited to see what you can do, hopefully we get a FB some time in the near future, I also hope we don't see a mature FB taken in the upcoming rookie draft by another club become a star…

But don't even start me on BLT

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

I know nothing about the kid but the numbers suggest he's a solid signing.

21 years old, so he fits into a big age gap in our list which is from the 2009 draft (as they're all gone now).

37 games which is a good spot where players often start to play some good footy. Also another gap, we only had one player (Wilkes) between 21 games and 51.

Height of 191cm is the only one I don't understand. I'm hoping he's a tall mid rather than a mid-size back. Also hoping he has good disposal and goes hard at the ball. If those things are all true then I have no doubt he'll be valuable to us.

But f*** knows, really. Obviously we'll make do this year without a quality full-back and try to sign one in the future - given we're not contenders anyway, I have no problem with that strategy.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Better than Winmar...upgrade

Nee!
SuperDuper
Club Player

The irony is, saints were considering Roberton for the Winmar pick 32 according to draft watchers such as Matt Burgan in 2009... Roberton drifted to the 40s... now we swap Winmar for Roberton on the list... I guess we always say "oh we should have taken player x instead of player y".. well this time we actually get to rectify the situation (although with hindsight we clearly should have taken Sam Reid, the other we were considering)

There is little doubt Roberton has shown more than Winmar

vacuous space
SS Life Member

bergholt wrote:Height of 191cm is the only one I don't understand. I'm hoping he's a tall mid rather than a mid-size back.
He's played pretty much exclusively out of defence since junior.

He plays much smaller than his height. Won more possession off the ground than out of the air this year. Only had a handful of contested marks and didn't get a lot of spoils. He had a lot more marks at WAFL level, but so far that hasn't translated to the AFL.

Very much a mid sized back.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
PJ
SS Life Member

dragit wrote:Not that anyone probably cares but… I should add,

I have absolutely no problem with adding Roberton to the list, just disappointed that it is with the last spot on our list. By all accounts, Joel Tippett has had a ripping year in the SANFL and I think that we are in a position where taking a risk on someone like that could be much more beneficial than re-contracting a 32 YO Blake, or any of Kosi, Wilkes, Jones… even Farren Ray who I like, is not going to win us a flag, we should have got him to a club where he could play 22 games, instead of playing 9-10 with us and taking games away from Siposs, Newnes, Dunell, Milera, Wright etc

Just remember that Simpkin came as a rookie and Fisher came to us mature at pick 55, so not being taken early in the draft doesn't mean everything.

So anyway, congratulations Dylan, I am actually excited to see what you can do, hopefully we get a FB some time in the near future, I also hope we don't see a mature FB taken in the upcoming rookie draft by another club become a star…

But don't even start me on BLT
Have you seen Joel Tippett play live?

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:Have you seen Joel Tippett play live?
It's a good point - No.

What's he like?

I am using him metaphorically really - the best available mature FB in the country… is worth a risk at this stage IMO.

People love to hate Dawson, but he is a decent FB who came to us when no-one else would look at him… he'll most likely become a 200 game AFL footballer.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

At least the media will be happy with us as we'll have someone from the 2009 draft again, seemed extremely important to the a few days ago when reporting Winmars departure

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
PJ
SS Life Member

dragit wrote:
PJ wrote:Have you seen Joel Tippett play live?
It's a good point - No.

What's he like?

I am using him metaphorically really - the best available mature FB in the country… is worth a risk at this stage IMO.

People love to hate Dawson, but he is a decent FB who came to us when no-one else would look at him… he'll most likely become a 200 game AFL footballer.
Good size body and a good option at state level - good enough for AFL? Not sure, could be a little slow at the top level and no where near as agile as Dawson.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Come on Bob, prove em wrong...

saintbob
SS Life Member

Good pick up IMO, he'll play round 1 and will play between 15-20 games in 2013.
Alternating between hbf and wing with the occasional run through the midfield

Welcome to the Saints, Dylan

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Weak decision in my opinion. Unless there is someone already on the list that they are going to turn into a fullback.

ace
Saintsational Legend

It is OFFICIAL.
Roberton is beatified and will be canonised when the free agency period opens on 30 November.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/newsartic ... fault.aspx

This means we wont have a pick in the pre season draft or rookie draft unless someone else is cut.

Dylan Roberton obviously preferred to Nick Winmar.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

It looks to me a lot like they are trying to reduce our dependence on Fisher as the guy to bring it out of our back line with some accuracy and creativity.

The issue is not that Chips can't play full back (although not ideally suited to the role), the issue is more that we lose him setting up our forward thrusts if he is in a lock-down key post. Especially with BJ gone it becomes vital. So if we can't get a quality KPD to free up Chips, do the next best thing, recruit some young guys that can kick, or run and carry, and play half back so we have others capable of handling the transition footy. There's more than one way to skin the moggy, even if it isn't the long term preferred solution.

Through the draft, and now with Roberton, there's some guys that can run and carry, or kick reliably, out of the back half. Plus we have Newnes coming on (who I really think is going to make a good footballer).

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Uncle Barrels
Club Player

We HAVE a full back... Two of them in fact. Chips isn't ideal cos we lose his run and nous and Simpkin is too small in the modern hormones-in-chicken days, but is a complete natural, and someone, like Lenny, you'd follow 'over the top' 100 years ago.

We were famous for our 'team defence' a few years ago, with a physically weak but tall Dawson holding down FB with some success. Simpkin or Chips can do the same with the same help.

Roberton fills a few holes and looks the goods. Stop whining people.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
defacto wrote: so why did we recruit roberton? unless were looking for something soft for the players to rest on?
have you ever seen Roberton play ?? soft is not the word you would use to describe him he is fearless at the ball (improve on Gram) he is poised under pressure (upgrade on Raph) can take a good contested mark (upgrade on Winmar) can run and carry the ball (upgrade on polo) is only 21(upgrade on Peake) and wants to play for us (upgrade on Cripps)...

....Plus his foot skills are much better then Gram Polo Peake Winmar and Raph combined... the focus has been on getting younger fellas who can run and can use the ball by foot as well as have a strong character Roberton fits that perfectly.. will he be a star ? prob not but he has more upside than those who gave up there spot for him so big picture if Roberton is our worst player on the team list then we have improved form last year by a big margin
Agree with that - whenever I've seen Roberton, I didn't think he was soft at all, seen him get plenty of cont poss (No24, sometimes wore a headband?) Some players are are outside types - but I doubt whether anyone who is 'soft' runs out on the footy field.
Not keen on that term being applied to players.

Stand your ground :shock: