Welcome to the St Kilda FC Tom Hickey

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Welcome to the St Kilda FC Tom Hickey

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
On what do you base these doubts?

I base it on facts. When was the last 21 year old to come out of a state league and become a champion?
Anything else? Have you actually seen him play?

Havent seen him kick a ball. Havent watched highlights. Got some names to help me feel better. One or two will do.

Buckets
SS Life Member

Hun reporting that we are giving up pick 37 and 57 as well???? Think this is overs now

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
slider
Club Player

magnifisaint wrote:How come there are so many experts on this site???
I wonder the same thing myself.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

And Graham Moss and Barry Cable and Polly Farmer. No idea what they have to do with how the draft is today.

What don't you rate him on? Just his background? Or do you have some knowledge we don't. Siposs wasn't tested like the TAC cup kids that are micro measured and are apparently a known quantity but he's ok. Players come out of different comps and go well. Gwilt, Andrew Thompson etc. shouldn't have been any good because they didn't follow the right path. Lucky we passed up Rory Sloane he didn't even get picked up by heaps of clubs so is a dud.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:This guy is a Queenslander who is coming here because of his girlfriend. Hope they last otherwise he could be gone before we see how good he is. By the way is this guy a sook like some accused Cripps of being for wanting to return home to be with his girlfriend?
THIS! Hope the people who complain about can reply to this. But i guess, supporters think whoever is coming in or is at the club are perfect.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote: Lets hope GC have let go a champion because I have my doubts a 21 year old WAFL player will be one.

I base it on facts. When was the last 21 year old to come out of a state league and become a champion?
How about Sam Fisher and Dean Cox for starters also Sandilands
Last edited by BringBackMadDog on Tue 23 Oct 2012 7:49pm, edited 1 time in total.

savatage
SS Life Member

I assume we're swapping our later 2nd and 3rd rounders with theirs, effectively placing us as having the first & second selections in both second & third rounds of the draft. That's what I assume anyway.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

And Graham Moss and Barry Cable and Polly Farmer. No idea what they have to do with how the draft is today.

What don't you rate him on? Just his background? Or do you have some knowledge we don't. Siposs wasn't tested like the TAC cup kids that are micro measured and are apparently a known quantity but he's ok. Players come out of different comps and go well. Gwilt, Andrew Thompson etc. shouldn't have been any good because they didn't follow the right path. Lucky we passed up Rory Sloane he didn't even get picked up by heaps of clubs so is a dud.

Who said I didnt rate him. Do you ever read what I write? I have no idea why you havent written what you did. It makes no sense when comparing it to what I said.

slider
Club Player

clarky449 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:This guy is a Queenslander who is coming here because of his girlfriend. Hope they last otherwise he could be gone before we see how good he is. By the way is this guy a sook like some accused Cripps of being for wanting to return home to be with his girlfriend?
THIS! Hope the people who complain about can reply to this. But i guess, supporters think whoever is coming in or is at the club are perfect.

Glad to see a couple of blokes who know more than our recruiters about whats going on at the club, legends the pair of you.

Ya gotta love negative people who dont have a clue and you 2 take the prize.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Havent seen him kick a ball. Havent watched highlights.
I think I will wait and see rather than taking your word for it.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

andrewg wrote:I love the trade. We have eliminated 4 years of development getting Lee and Hickey. This means less money in development, less time for them to come on and iturn less risk.
Yea we have used some high picks but based on the negative outlook of the saints in 2013 by many on this site, we will have even lower picks next year.

Again wevhave to realise the face of recruiting is changing. I firmly believe the days of getting 'the next best player' is an arcaic way of building a list. These days you get what you need for your team. If that means you pay overs to do that so be it. Yes Hickey might be worth +20 but to us he is worth more because we need him. Just like we need Lee.
I think this is a courageous pick, our list management could of just said, 'we will get the next best kid' but instead it is obvious some thought has gone into it for the present and the future.
This

#1 Ryder fan
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Dont agree with giving away on 13. Moving down just for his GF. Potential to be a very good player. But just not happy with it. Also dont understand how people think Lee is going to be a champion. Plugger is right, Lee has been delisted once, played in the WAFL, been a good WAFL player this year, but thats it. People need to settle down on players coming, because they are just setting themself up for disappointment.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote: I base it on facts. When was the last 21 year old to come out of a state league and become a champion?
Lee hasn't come from the State league...

As you know he was drafted and very highly rated and fell off the radar..

There are plenty of highly rated draft picks that have had to bide their time and develop in the State leagues before becoming a champion, whilst on AFL lists. Only difference is Lee didnt spend all 3 of those years on an AFL list... But he didnt just appear..

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

saintsRrising wrote:Wonder if the logic was an extra twenties pick to get Brown?
Dunno - if we really have got 25, 26, 37, 46, 47 then it could be Cripps & 37, & 46.

Hang onto 25& 26.

Remember, you have to take 3 picks, and WCE currently have 41, 61 & 62 as their first three.

WE could make that 37, 41, 46 & Cripps, for a KPD that can't get a game.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

A couple of Emma Quayle tweets re Hickey's value and Hickey vs Grundy/Caddy:

Emma Quayle ‏@emmasq
I'm almost with GC on this one. If hickey was in the draft he'd be the first big guy picked

Emma Quayle ‏@emmasq
being such a good contested mark makes him more valuable than Caddy for me. They'll get ripped off though

Emma Quayle ‏@emmasq
different types, some would go Grundy, others Hickey

Last edited by Old Mate on Tue 23 Oct 2012 7:56pm, edited 3 times in total.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

some vision from the year

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

How about Sam Fisher and Dean Cox for starters also Sandilands

Very good. Actually feel better now and hope Lee becomes a forward sam Fisher.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

slider wrote:
clarky449 wrote:

Glad to see a couple of blokes who know more than our recruiters about whats going on at the club, legends the pair of you.

Its called realism, my friend. Im dont look through rose coloured glasses. Hey if you want people to agree with the experts, and have no own thoughts, then best you sign out.

Middo
Club Player

magnifisaint wrote:How come there are so many experts on this site???

Only One ..... :wink: :wink: :wink:
And he knew we we getting Hickey , sounds like BM all over again ... :wink:

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

I'm so undecided on this. I really had high hopes for both pick 12 & 13 as I cant see a huge difference between picks 5 & 15 talent wise, having said that I'll reserve my judgement. Lee & Hickey fit my prerequisite not to top up with aging recycleds who had glaring deficiencies in their game.

If Quayle rates him higher than Grundy, with Grundy probably going top 5, then you'd have to consider it a good trade. At least now every man and their dog wont be asking for pick bloody 13!

Plugger, add Harry Taylor to that list.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
evo
Club Player

slider wrote:
clarky449 wrote:

If anyone read a quarter of their posts they would be calling BeyondBlue immediately.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:I'm so undecided on this. I really had high hopes for both pick 12 & 13 as I cant see a huge difference between picks 5 & 15 talent wise, having said that I'll reserve my judgement. Lee & Hickey fit my prerequisite not to top up with aging recycleds who had glaring deficiencies in their game.

If Quayle rates him higher than Grundy, with Grundy probably going top 5, then you'd have to consider it a good trade. At least now every man and their dog wont be asking for pick bloody 13!

Plugger, add Harry Taylor to that list.
Taylor isint a champion.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Specifics confirmed?? I think we have given up some later picks??

#1 Ryder fan
St Igmata
Club Player

Its Goddard and 12 for Lee and Hickey

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

St Igmata wrote:Its Goddard and 12 for Lee and Hickey

Not quite. We got 25 and 26 as well and may have lost a later pick or two.