National Draft Discussion

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

rexy
SS Life Member

Re: National Draft Discussion

bergholt wrote:
evo wrote:13 & 24 for Brown/Hickey, 34 probably to the scum as part of the Dawes deal. 43 for Gysberts/Martin.
The Dawes deal as currently mooted would see 34 going out but 35 coming back. Many other deals are also likely to involve swaps, so I think you're being too categorical here.
The Dawes rumour I heard had 43 out and 45 in?

Maybe this year?
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Old Mate wrote: If I had to do a quick mock draft on the first 13 picks based on my limited knowledge I'd suggest something like this:

Pick 1. Whitfield - GWS
Pick 2. Grundy - GWS
Pick 3. Toumpas - GWS
Pick 4. O'Rourke - MELB
Pick 5. Plowman - WB
Pick 6. Wines - WB
Pick 7. Mayes - PORT
Pick 8. Shaw - BRIS
Pick 9. Garlett - RICH
Pick 10. Daniher - ESS
Pick 11. Jaksch - GWS
Pick 12. Kennedy - GWS
Pick 13....
Gee, I wouldn't be over the moon if both McCrae and Stringer could have been taken with 12/13... I'm going to put my faith in the Bains Trust down at Seaford... like what I did there? :lol:

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:
Old Mate wrote: If I had to do a quick mock draft on the first 13 picks based on my limited knowledge I'd suggest something like this:

Pick 1. Whitfield - GWS
Pick 2. Grundy - GWS
Pick 3. Toumpas - GWS
Pick 4. O'Rourke - MELB
Pick 5. Plowman - WB
Pick 6. Wines - WB
Pick 7. Mayes - PORT
Pick 8. Shaw - BRIS
Pick 9. Garlett - RICH
Pick 10. Daniher - ESS
Pick 11. Jaksch - GWS
Pick 12. Kennedy - GWS
Pick 13....
Gee, I wouldn't be over the moon if both McCrae and Stringer could have been taken with 12/13... I'm going to put my faith in the Bains Trust down at Seaford... like what I did there? :lol:
I was very surprised to see us part ways with pick 12. I guess we'll have to wait and see what picks 24 and 43 get us. Potentially pick 12 could net us Hickey (pick 24) and Tom Lee along with what ever pick 43 gets us.

I'm starting to get on the Kennedy bandwagon.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Sick Nal Danto wrote:Olliver Wines will be the next Josh Kennedy

18 and already 90kgs as a Midfielder, that is impressive considering he has one of the best tanks in this pool

I would actually take any of those listed, but I'm praying for Jake Stringer
he's one of those kids that's hard to know how he'll translate to the AFL. He's dominated at junior level because of his size and bravery but could be sent back to the pack when he's no longer the biggest or most determined. Not saying he'll be a bad player, just not sure how good. He doesn't have that many tricks in his bag for me. I would like a silky mid with great ball use and I feel we have a few contested ball winning mids already in development with Steven, Armo, Ross etc. all able to lay that role. A bit of class wouldn't go astray.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Gringo jump on the Kennedy bandwagon. He's a lightning quick, highly skilled and goal kicking midfielder. The only thing stopping him front being a top 5-10 pick is his height and his attitude. I actually like his arrogance.

kos
Club Player

I like the look of josh Simpson bit thin though!

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Gringo jump on the Kennedy bandwagon. He's a lightning quick, highly skilled and goal kicking midfielder. The only thing stopping him front being a top 5-10 pick is his height and his attitude. I actually like his arrogance.

He already has plenty taking him in the top 5 picks just some have him right out to late first round. I heard Viney- who is a good mate of Wines saying the guy he would want drafted with him is Jimmy Toumpas. If his mate doesn't automatically pick him you wonder how good he is. He does give him credit for pushing him further to compete with him though. I like arrogance too. He could be a gun but I think he drifted out from early predictions because a few are like me. A bit suspect on how he will go as the small fish in a big pond. i like the way he plays don't get me wrong and even said he might be one we get because he potentially will drift out to our first pick and would probably be a bargain but just a little niggle of doubt on how far he will go.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
Old Mate wrote:Gringo jump on the Kennedy bandwagon. He's a lightning quick, highly skilled and goal kicking midfielder. The only thing stopping him front being a top 5-10 pick is his height and his attitude. I actually like his arrogance.

He already has plenty taking him in the top 5 picks just some have him right out to late first round. I heard Viney- who is a good mate of Wines saying the guy he would want drafted with him is Jimmy Toumpas. If his mate doesn't automatically pick him you wonder how good he is. He does give him credit for pushing him further to compete with him though. I like arrogance too. He could be a gun but I think he drifted out from early predictions because a few are like me. A bit suspect on how he will go as the small fish in a big pond. i like the way he plays don't get me wrong and even said he might be one we get because he potentially will drift out to our first pick and would probably be a bargain but just a little niggle of doubt on how far he will go.
There's always doubt, as you say with Wines, he's a big kid playing on small kids, the same could be said for Stringer. What I like about Ben Kennedy is that he has a lot of pace and skills. That means that his lack of height is not so important. From what I've heard it's really his combine interviewing which has been a major letdown. It seems as though he's doing a Jack Darling and trying to 'tank' to a SA teams pick, likely Adelaide's late first rounder. I doubt we will get him with so much emphasis put on leadership and personality when it comes to our recruiting. Mark my words though, we'll regret it, as will a lot of clubs that overlook him. There's a reason why Adelaide almost took him in last years mini draft instead of Brad Crouch.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote: There's always doubt, as you say with Wines, he's a big kid playing on small kids, the same could be said for Stringer. What I like about Ben Kennedy is that he has a lot of pace and skills. That means that his lack of height is not so important. From what I've heard it's really his combine interviewing which has been a major letdown. It seems as though he's doing a Jack Darling and trying to 'tank' to a SA teams pick, likely Adelaide's late first rounder. I doubt we will get him with so much emphasis put on leadership and personality when it comes to our recruiting. Mark my words though, we'll regret it, as will a lot of clubs that overlook him. There's a reason why Adelaide almost took him in last years mini draft instead of Brad Crouch.

Ben Kennedy is a jet. He will be a good player and seems really determined. It's hard to know who is going at what pick as there are about 20 kids with claims on a top 10 spot. There are probably about 3 obvious early ones.

the second round is where the value still might be with guys like broomhead and Irra still right out into the 3 rd round in some phantoms.

Irra hasn't played much footy but he is a bit like Majak Daw, still learning the game but has unbelievable athletic abilities and skill that defies the amount he has played. he would be my choice if Colquhoun is gone with our second rounder. he is probably 2 years off being a regular player at least but the upside of him is massive. Cyril Rioli ball handling skills on this guy.

- Emmanuel Irra, South Australia.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Not being a smart arse for a change but I would love to know hoe people know so much about these 18 year olds. i have seen 3 under 18 games this year and reckon I could tell you little about the players I have seen. Do some of you watch a heap of under 18 games?

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Not being a smart arse for a change but I would love to know hoe people know so much about these 18 year olds. i have seen 3 under 18 games this year and reckon I could tell you little about the players I have seen. Do some of you watch a heap of under 18 games?
Same here!

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

You can have a keen interest in just about anything and become an armchair expert with social media, pay tv, internet etc. If you go to the AFL website and go to the video search engine you can view most of the top draft prospects highlight packages. You can follow their progress on TAC Cup Superstars and through the Foxtel Cup and hear from the real experts.....If this is what interests you.

bakes
Club Player

Hope we keep the pick 13 compensation pick and get Dayle Garlett.
This guy is going to be a superstar.

bakes
Club Player

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

bakes wrote:Hope we keep the pick 13 compensation pick and get Dayle Garlett.
This guy is going to be a superstar.
Definitely has that x-factor mate, not dissimilar to Harley Bennell. I wouldn't be against us taking a risk on him. Check out Ben Kennedy highlights if that type of player interests you. Both may be available for us.