Barrett Gossip Update...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Barrett Gossip Update...

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:Here's the thing historically speaking clubs like geelong Hawthorn and collingwood do a much better job looking after their players after they have finished up their career so taking a pay cut to stay true to the team is not as big a deal ... Our club has a history of forgetting about players the minute they walk out the door ( just ask J Allen ) ...as for these comments that Goddard isn't that good any way it smacks of sour grapes in case he does leave .. Last year Roo had arguably the worst season of his entire career and therewere talks of trading him taking the captaincy off him ect ect but you look at theway he was able to fight back into some good formthis year .. Champion players do have luls in formbut truechampions will eventually fight their way out of their lul .. Mark my words BJ will be in the top tier of players again very soon hopefully though it's in red White and blacknot some other teams colours
It was clear early last season that there were several players who were well bellow their best, and there were many excuses peddled around, mainly the GF heartbreak theory, and it was especially frustrating to watch two elite players in Roo and BJ perform at an intensity well bellow previous years. Their attitudes permeated and effected the whole club. Intensity is a difficult thing to measure and I don't think there is a stat or a cluster of stats that can accurately measure it. So yes while various stats for players like Roo and BJ still looked good by comparison, it was plain as day that they just weren't the same players. I don't think many argue against that.

I agree St Trav that champions fightback and Roo fought his way back this year. Goddard is yet to fight back IMO.

We need champions to commit to making this club successful long after their playing careers are over. Hawthorn have promoted this culture for decades now, however probably the reason it works for them is because of the fact that they look after their players in a way we don't. The reasons are many but mainly because of bad management by the club and also having selfish talented players (which most are BTW) that were big fish in a little pond, i.e. at a club with very little talent or success. The past decade of relative success needs to exploit the Hawthorn culture and players like Burkey, Thomo and Maxy are examples, maybe Harves in the not too distant future. We now need Roo, Lenny, Kosi, Dal, Fisher, Milney, Monty and these types of players to be committed to the clubs success long after their playing days are over. If BJ leaves it will be because of money and clearly that is not the attitude of a clubman.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

If St Kilda fail to match the 600K for 4 years then we may as well give up. Elite players do not grow on trees.
Drafting is a gamble, an educated guess but still a guess. Yes, pick 13 could give you another Nick Dal Santo it could also give you another Aaron Fiora.

It is easy for Geelong to pay unders their players have just won three premierships.
If they had not won they would have needed to pay a lot more. We DID NOT win.

St Kilda has a history of letting top line players leave to our detrement.
We must not to perpetuate this or we may as well say that nothing has changed and we are still pereniul easybeats.

Saints43
Club Player

SinCitySainter wrote: It is easy for Geelong to pay unders their players have just won three premierships.
Didn't they win three flags, in part, because they were already paying their stars less than us? Maybe they weren't paying 'unders'. Maybe we have been over paying...

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

saintbrat wrote:
Teflon wrote:
Munga wrote:Surely he means 1.8mil over 3 years, and not 200k a year.

nope apparently we are playing real hard ball...........

OR

I stuffed up?

you work it out
I heard it as 600 per year- so yes 1.8 over 3 - are the saints game to add the rol over clause during the 3rd year.?
I would do it. Goddard's best is well above 600k per year.

2011 was a write off as he was plain pissed off at losing gf's and playing with some absolutely awful players.

2012 was an above average season.

2013 hopefully propels us back to finals.

suss
Club Player

Saints43 wrote:
SinCitySainter wrote: It is easy for Geelong to pay unders their players have just won three premierships.
Didn't they win three flags, in part, because they were already paying their stars less than us? Maybe they weren't paying 'unders'. Maybe we have been over paying...
I think the lower cost of living down there helped them pay elite players less than market rates. Imagine getting paid 500 large to live on the coast, half an hour from training. Would be a great lifestyle.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

suss wrote:
Saints43 wrote:
I think the lower cost of living down there helped them pay elite players less than market rates. Imagine getting paid 500 large to live on the coast, half an hour from training. Would be a great lifestyle.
If only you could do that from a training base at Seaford.

Sock Puppet
Club Player

wrote:BJ has had the incentive, this year ( with his contract coming up and with the amount of money being offered to top tier players), to play out of his skin.
He should therefore be paid according to where he finishes in this year's best and fairest - and he shouldn't grumble about it.
wrote:Image
70%
A word from Glen and Marketa. Relevant to BJ it seems - and some of the SS posting crew:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... UMt6rMMSZE

When Your Mind's Made Up

So, if you want something
And you call, call
Then I'll come running
To fight, and I'll be at your door
When there's nothing worth running for

When your mind's made up
When your mind's made up
There's no point trying to change it
When your mind's made up
When your mind's made up
There's no point trying to stop it
You see, you're just like everyone
When the s*** falls all you want to do is run away
And hide all by yourself
When you're far from me, there's nothing else

When your mind's made up
When your mind's made up
There's no point trying to change it
When your mind's made up
When your mind's made up
There's no point even talking
When your mind's made up
When your mind's made up
There's no point trying to fight it

So, if you ever want something
And you call, call
Then I'll come running

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

So why don't they offer BJ 3years @ $600k and year 4 @ $400k

“If you want the rainbow you gotta put up with rain” Dolly Parton
busso mick
Club Player

The Redeemer wrote:
I would do it. Goddard's best is well above 600k per year.

2011 was a write off as he was plain pissed off at losing gf's and playing with some absolutely awful players.

2012 was an above average season.

2013 hopefully propels us back to finals.
If he was playing with some absolutely awful players, then surely he would stand out in comparison and have had a better season than he did. Just a thought :D

spert
Saintsational Legend

Elite players don't sulk, they keep on going and strive harder. Goddard has elite skills but is not an elite player above the shoulders. It's the team that wins a premiership, not individuals, and Goddard is yet to learn that aspect of the game. Geelong has plenty of players with elite skills too and they always put team first when it counts.

andrewg
Club Player

I would assume we would offerBJ 600 over 4 years but the sticking point would be the conditions in the 4th year. Ie fitness, games played, best and fairest votes etc.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

spert wrote:Elite players don't sulk, they keep on going and strive harder. Goddard has elite skills but is not an elite player above the shoulders. It's the team that wins a premiership, not individuals, and Goddard is yet to learn that aspect of the game. Geelong has plenty of players with elite skills too and they always put team first when it counts.
So you play in Grand Finals with McQ, Clarke, Peake and Eddy and you have no reason to be cranky?

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:
spert wrote:Elite players don't sulk, they keep on going and strive harder. Goddard has elite skills but is not an elite player above the shoulders. It's the team that wins a premiership, not individuals, and Goddard is yet to learn that aspect of the game. Geelong has plenty of players with elite skills too and they always put team first when it counts.
So you play in Grand Finals with McQ, Clarke, Peake and Eddy and you have no reason to be cranky?
no.

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
SMS
Club Player

goddard is 27 not 34! he is in prime. down year but is capableof best player in league i agree we should pay 600k 4 years!!

reasonable. typical of us saints to let gold go!! we lose goddard over this minimal crap god help us! we lost the best coach in league over stupidity and now we may lose goddard over again arrogant crap!!!

dissapointing.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He is entitled to whatever he can get, the market determines his worth..... Not supporters

He will go.....

Unlike Ball, I'd like to see a little bit of compensation for a gun?!

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

What the market determines...lol...good one...

If BJ goes to GWS, it's not a free market but an artificial and manufactured market created by the AFL who have pumped in $250 million into both expansion clubs.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:

You have no idea what you are talking about.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
The Redeemer wrote:

You have no idea what you are talking about.
AND

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

When they said news from St Kilda in tonights telecast, that's not what I was thinking...

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

SMS wrote:goddard is 27 not 34! he is in prime. down year but is capableof best player in league i agree we should pay 600k 4 years!!

reasonable. typical of us saints to let gold go!! we lose goddard over this minimal crap god help us! we lost the best coach in league over stupidity and now we may lose goddard over again arrogant crap!!!

dissapointing.
Typical of nettlefold mainly, the guy is an absolute incompetent boob.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Hardly Nettlefolds fault .. Netters has been very good in his role in my opinion .. Lyon is a good coach but he left us because he could see we were headed for a rebuild and he got a great offer from Freo .. Netters has got us back operating at profit he got us a great coach for where we are at in Scotty he has also been a big part in the club activley engaging with the fans again after years of the Lyon bubble ... He is not an incompetent boob

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
oh when the
Club Player

Maybe Lyon left because of the lack of tact from some players over the off seasons.
Maybe he was just pissed off with them.

rexy
SS Life Member

Very surprised by the amount of people questioning BJs ability, output and worth! Get a grip people, top 25 in the league and top 3 at the club without hesitation! 600k is not an issue and 4 yrs is not an issue IMO. I understand the club being concerned about 600 in the 4th year though! Put some incentive based clauses in ad let's get the man signed!

And I don't know what the opposite of rose coloured glasses are but many of you are guilty of wearing them!

Maybe this year?
noob
Club Player

Due to tv rights.. in 3 years 600k a year might look like 400k. Maybe that's why he wants that much.

spert
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:
Sook