Josh Caddy

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Josh Caddy

MCG-Unit wrote:
bergholt wrote:caddy's probably a good player, but am i the only one worried about signing a guy who's such a sook that he can't stand living interstate away from "home"? what's to stop him asking for a trade in a couple of years because the drive to seaford is too long?
You might need to check the background here - last year he wanted to come back to Vic (Ess) to be with his sick father, not necessarily a 'sook'
Folks do get homesick.

Would give up the first DP for Caddy in a heartbeat - subject to a medical, as he's had injuries. Not at the expense of Goddard though, I reckon they can get Caddy and retain Goddard.

Cant see how that can happen. People may like to bag the media but they can get very good info. They say we are struggling with the salary cap. If we keep BJ then you would think we are right on the limit. Cant see how we could come up with another 200k if not a bit more.

To be honest if we lost BJ and picked up Caddy and still had money for a reasonable FB then I think we would be ahead.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Future gun midfielder would be worth trading out any of Ray, Schneider, Gram or Jones.

We will fit him in, if he wants to come, no doubt whatsoever.

Even if it's with some back-ending, in 2 years we will have absolutely millions free in the cap.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

MCG-Unit wrote:
bergholt wrote:caddy's probably a good player, but am i the only one worried about signing a guy who's such a sook that he can't stand living interstate away from "home"? what's to stop him asking for a trade in a couple of years because the drive to seaford is too long?
You might need to check the background here - last year he wanted to come back to Vic (Ess) to be with his sick father, not necessarily a 'sook'
Folks do get homesick.

Would give up the first DP for Caddy in a heartbeat - subject to a medical, as he's had injuries. Not at the expense of Goddard though, I reckon they can get Caddy and retain Goddard.
Agreed, we could afford to backend a contract for Caddy and keep BJ especially if we lose oldish guys.

Also most years there are people who want to go home, Gunston, Tippett, Hill are a couple who spring to mind. If we were to lose BJ, I would be estatic to get Caddy and Hickey in return. Not since Gtrain and Sammy have we gone for big names in trade week. My view is you trade for quality, not for rejects who fill gaps

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Richter
SS Life Member

If we lose BJ and give up our 1st round pick for Caddy, then it is vital that we do NOT pick up any free agents. If we did that we would lose the 1st round pick we'd get for BJ.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:If we lose BJ and give up our 1st round pick for Caddy, then it is vital that we do NOT pick up any free agents. If we did that we would lose the 1st round pick we'd get for BJ.
Depends who the free agent is.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:
Folks do get homesick.

Cant see how that can happen. People may like to bag the media but they can get very good info. They say we are struggling with the salary cap. If we keep BJ then you would think we are right on the limit. Cant see how we could come up with another 200k if not a bit more.

To be honest if we lost BJ and picked up Caddy and still had money for a reasonable FB then I think we would be ahead.
The media do guess salaries sometimes, but yes the Saints would be near the salary cap limit. They have already delisted 3 senior list players, with perhaps more delistings and retirements to come, that should make some room. While next year there could be some players getting a pay rise, there maybe a couple asked to take a cut.

They could always back-end Caddy and a couple of others contracts. Anyway Ess and Geelong are also reportedly in the mix for Caddy.
Guess I'm trying hard to keep Goddard, Dal Santo and anyone else who has good disposal.....

Stand your ground :shock:
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

St Ick wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:
Folks do get homesick.

Agreed, we could afford to backend a contract for Caddy and keep BJ especially if we lose oldish guys.

Also most years there are people who want to go home, Gunston, Tippett, Hill are a couple who spring to mind. If we were to lose BJ, I would be estatic to get Caddy and Hickey in return. Not since Gtrain and Sammy have we gone for big names in trade week. My view is you trade for quality, not for rejects who fill gaps
Yes also they have already delisted 3 senior listed players, reckon there's more to come and maybe retirements. Hopefully that should make some more cap room. Really like what I've seen of Caddy.

Stand your ground :shock:
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:
St Ick wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:
Folks do get homesick.

Yes also they have already delisted 3 senior listed players, reckon there's more to come and maybe retirements. Hopefully that should make some more cap room. Really like what I've seen of Caddy.

Those players were going long ago so their salaries would have been known about when seeing if we had enough money for BJ let alone Caddy. It will be the same with Raph and Blake when they both go. I think the only way we could get a fair bit of money in the cap is if we traded or got rid of player that was some sort of surprise who was on good money.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Why does anyone think we are in the mix for Caddy anyway? Has he said he is interested in coming to us?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

I am probably wrong but I was under the impression that we had our salary cap issues under control now and the main issue was us being successful and giving incentives for those years. Year to year can be vastly different and until I hear it from a Saints official, there is no reason for me to believe we have salary cap issues or no room this year for another player/gun.

Strength through Loyalty
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:Why does anyone think we are in the mix for Caddy anyway? Has he said he is interested in coming to us?
All rumours I guess. There have been a couple of recent news articles linking him to us as well as your usual forum rumours. A poster on bigfooty reckons we've recently had a second meeting with Caddy's management and are frontrunners to snare him. Obviously these stories/rumours could be made up/embellished.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
SaintPav wrote:Why does anyone think we are in the mix for Caddy anyway? Has he said he is interested in coming to us?
All rumours I guess. There have been a couple of recent news articles linking him to us as well as your usual forum rumours. A poster on bigfooty reckons we've recently had a second meeting with Caddy's management and are frontrunners to snare him. Obviously these stories/rumours could be made up/embellished.
Indeed. thanks.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

i don't think it matters what he's interested in. he's expressed a wish to return to melbourne and that's what gcs will attempt to make happen, but he doesn't also get to decide exactly which club he goes to. gcs still own him and will trade him to the melbourne club which gives them the best package.

sounds like pick 13 might get the job done, as that's fair compensation. but if the bulldogs decided they were keen, i think they have two picks better than 13 so they'd be in position to outbid us. essendon don't have a first round pick so they'd have to find a trade, maybe hocking, prismall, reimers or myers?

i reckon we're in with a chance if goddard goes but otherwise it won't happen.

savatage
SS Life Member

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-ne ... 6468446873

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Well if we pick him up for say $300k and let bj go, we would get a younger version, 300k in the SC and probably pick 13 (maybe not, depending on the Caddy deal, however he isn't a free agent).

if thats how it panned out, it would seem to be a fair result.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

I'm getting a bit concerned about the jungle drums that are continually beating about Dal.... just got DM'd by a journo on Twitter saying that 'he hopes St Kilda love Dal as much as the fans do'.

I know there's always been this tenuous link between Essendon & Dal (mostly fed in the Sheedy days) but I hope that it's just the annual media putting 2 + 2 & coming up with 8.

I could live with losing BJ & getting picks in return but would hate to lose Dal (who has committed to us & is contracted).

savatage
SS Life Member

Firstly Dal's contracted. He's not going anywhere. Just pure media speculation.

I'd be working on a deal where if we lost Goddard, I'd put a play to the Suns for a package of Caddy & Hickey with our compensation pick (pick 13) & a player like Farren Ray to sweeten that deal. We'd get an up & coming midfield gun, a developing ruckman & some salary cap relief with pick 12 still to be used on the best available player in the draft.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I get the feeling that Pelchen isn't very sentimental… which is good, the Hawks traded out some very good players, but brought in what they needed to challenge for a flag - full back (gibson), ruckmen/key forward (hale), silky mid/half back(burgoyne).

SaintWodonga
Club Player

dragit wrote:I get the feeling that Pelchen isn't very sentimental… which is good, the Hawks traded out some very good players, but brought in what they needed to challenge for a flag - full back (gibson), ruckmen/key forward (hale), silky mid/half back(burgoyne).
Good point, I am prepared to do what is best for the club. I'd still like draft picks in this strong draft! :mrgreen:

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
ROLS-LEE
Club Player

SaintWodonga wrote:
dragit wrote:I get the feeling that Pelchen isn't very sentimental… which is good, the Hawks traded out some very good players, but brought in what they needed to challenge for a flag - full back (gibson), ruckmen/key forward (hale), silky mid/half back(burgoyne).
Good point, I am prepared to do what is best for the club. I'd still like draft picks in this strong draft! :mrgreen:
Same, but it comes down to if caddy is worthy of our first pick, and/or we lose a player like Goddard.

What sort of player is toy?

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

savatage wrote:Firstly Dal's contracted. He's not going anywhere. Just pure media speculation.

I'd be working on a deal where if we lost Goddard, I'd put a play to the Suns for a package of Caddy & Hickey with our compensation pick (pick 13) & a player like Farren Ray to sweeten that deal. We'd get an up & coming midfield gun, a developing ruckman & some salary cap relief with pick 12 still to be used on the best available player in the draft.
Contracted doesn't mean anything if St Kilda actively tries to trade him (of course Dal could refuse to be traded). I honestly hope that it is just BS & Dal finishes his career as a St Kilda great.

I totally agree with what you propose... I think we're in with a really good shot of landing Caddy with Carlton the only club that has a live pick ahead of us that would be possibly in the mix. I can't see Melbourne, the Dogs or Tigers giving up a top 10 pick for him & Essendon will use pick 10 to take Joe Daniher. Geelong's Ablett compo pick will be after ours (& most likely still a late 1st rounder if they traded it to & GC used it in 2013).

I think we're in a position where blokes like Ray & Schneider (who may have some value) are shopped around/packaged to get what we really need.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

ROLS-LEE wrote:
SaintWodonga wrote:
Same, but it comes down to if caddy is worthy of our first pick, and/or we lose a player like Goddard.

What sort of player is toy?
Caddy is a gun.
Toy is ordinary.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Caddy and Hickey should be priorities, followed by Rivers, Gysberts, Martin and Chaplin. Looks like Saints and Geelong keep getting mentioned as clubs in the hunt for the same players...

Strength through Loyalty
jimmy_slats
Club Player

i think people are forgetting what Watters said in his press confrence when they announced the signings of 4 key players and i quote "“One thing I’ll say about all these guys is they’re not playing here for the money. They play here because they love the club.” in saying that im assuming that he may just of freed up a good lot of space on not only these 4 guys but also sam fisher as well so who are we to say that we are on the brink with the cap? if Watters says we are not the why do we all assume he is just telling porkies?

'WALK THIS WAY!!!!!'
savatage
SS Life Member

Animal Enclosure wrote:
Contracted doesn't mean anything if St Kilda actively tries to trade him (of course Dal could refuse to be traded). I honestly hope that it is just BS & Dal finishes his career as a St Kilda great.

I totally agree with what you propose... I think we're in with a really good shot of landing Caddy with Carlton the only club that has a live pick ahead of us that would be possibly in the mix. I can't see Melbourne, the Dogs or Tigers giving up a top 10 pick for him & Essendon will use pick 10 to take Joe Daniher. Geelong's Ablett compo pick will be after ours (& most likely still a late 1st rounder if they traded it to & GC used it in 2013).

I think we're in a position where blokes like Ray & Schneider (who may have some value) are shopped around/packaged to get what we really need.
Spot on about what you say about Dal, it's just that I really can't see us trading him. Great St.Kilda person.

I think we're in a pretty good position to really improve our list this off season. Looking forward to it :)