Steven Baker on Open Mike

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Re: Steven Baker on Open Mike

Yeah it was great to have an interview where someone told it like it is instead of the usual script.

No doubt he was targeted by the AFL. No doubt.

Sure he was a little prick. A little thug, or a dirty so and so.

But he was our Prick, our thug and our So and So.

He would stop players that had been tearing the comp apart in the weeks leading up to our games.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

8856brother wrote:A bit rough around the edges is our Steven.
he's a f***** deadshit and without footy he'd be the guy on the end of the bar getting in a punch on about nothing every week. probably still will be, to be honest. i have some sympathy for guys like that but personally i'd stay as far away from him as possible.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

paulski wrote:Wow, where do you start? Thought he handled himself well. Brutally honest.

Still can't believe he got 3 weeks for kicking shithead Alessio when he stood on his leg. Disgrace.
Was definitely a marked man like he stated.
How funny was Bakes running after Kane Johnson in 2004?

Almost as funny as Sheehan mentioning Kane Johnson in the same league as Ablett, Harvey et al. Just bizarre.

That being said Sheehan is still a really good journo.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

So nobody else was horrified that he admitted he shouldn't of played GF2, I mean a broken foot and backing it up after missing 13 weeks, what on earth was he and the selectors thinking?

Selfish.

Filing your stoppers is ordinary.

Playing in a grand final in the knowledge that you shouldn't?

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
8856brother wrote:A bit rough around the edges is our Steven.
he's a f***** deadshit and without footy he'd be the guy on the end of the bar getting in a punch on about nothing every week. probably still will be, to be honest. i have some sympathy for guys like that but personally i'd stay as far away from him as possible.
Ok :shock:

SainterK wrote:So nobody else was horrified that he admitted he shouldn't of played GF2, I mean a broken foot and backing it up after missing 13 weeks, what on earth was he and the selectors thinking?

Selfish.

to be fair drop off ........and the selectors thinking

saint4life
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:So nobody else was horrified that he admitted he shouldn't of played GF2, I mean a broken foot and backing it up after missing 13 weeks, what on earth was he and the selectors thinking?

Selfish.

You think gram should of played week one? Couldn't raise a gallop. They all played sore,

Bring back the Lockett era
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:

Selfish.

Is that fair?

They knew he had a broken foot, that he broke it again some more, and that his second game back after such a lay off would be even harder.

Sure he could say I'm not right, and he should of...but surely it's not rocket science.

It's not like the emergencies were duds, we had genuine options.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote:
chook23 wrote:

Selfish.

Is that fair?

They knew he had a broken foot, that he broke it again some more, and that his second game back after such a lay off would be even harder.

Sure he could say I'm not right, and he should of...but surely it's not rocket science.

If we had options then we were both MCQ and Eddy playing?

They were s***. One would suggest that the players not playing were considered more shitter...

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Well they shouldn't of been considered that.

Emg: Jarryn Geary, Rhys Stanley, David Armitage

You tell me?

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
chook23 wrote:

Selfish.

Is that fair?

Said he noticed the foot early in 2nd gf. Don't think he knew it was broken before the game, even though he did say his body was sore.

SainterK wrote:
chook23 wrote:

Selfish.

Is that fair?

I stand corrected but I think you are confusing a few things

Bakes said in hindsight re the 2nd break............went early in that 2nd GF game and they jabbed him up throughout game 1/4
...1/2

also how sore he was overall after 1 game in so long...underestimated the 2nd up syndrome after a long lay off.........

looks like bakes declared himself right to go............

saint4life
chook23
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
chook23 wrote:

Selfish.

Is that fair?

Bakes said in hindsight re the 2nd break............went early in that 2nd GF game and they jabbed him up throughout game 1/4
...1/2

also how sore he was overall after 1 game in so long...underestimated the 2nd up syndrome after a long lay off.........

saint4life
chook23
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
chook23 wrote:

Selfish.

Is that fair?

...1/2

saint4life
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

8856brother wrote: Said he noticed the foot early in 2nd gf. Don't think he knew it was broken before the game, even though he did say his body was sore.
Thought he said it was already broken, and he broke it again

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
8856brother wrote: Said he noticed the foot early in 2nd gf. Don't think he knew it was broken before the game, even though he did say his body was sore.
Thought he said it was already broken, and he broke it again
No he said he missed the 11 games prior with a broken bone in his foot that he had a plate put into. He broke the bone next to the original broken bone in the 2nd gf.

Club Player

Funny guy is our Steven , had a good laugh when they were showing the haircuts and he said it was a "Gary Crocker" ...???
Shame he's a little proud of some of the stupid s*** he did cause at times he could really play ....
Called Mike an arsehole ...LOL
Remember when he got rubbed out for crossing paths with Farmer I was spewing , now he says he headbutted him oh well !

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Lost a heck of a lot of respect for him personally ... I always felt Bakes beat opponents by playing hard and close turns out he was playing dirty ... I used to think he was brilliant for being able to stop the best players turns out he couldn't stop them so he would do ugly acts to beat them ... Not the kind of thing you would want kids to look up to ... Really sad day for me one of my hero's turned out to be a thug and for lack of a better word a cheat ... I'm sorry bakes but I'm ashamed you are a former saint

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Oh please.

He was the best tagger in the comp for five years.

You're ashamed he is a former saint?

He did what it took. He copped a hell of a lot back.

Thugs king hit.

He was a niggly, painful little sob that let you know about it every time you went near the ball.

His work helped us win games. Simple as that. You think he was doing all that stuff off his own bat?

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Has lost my respect also. Used to like him and think he was hard done by. It's one thing to play hard and tough. But filing your stops. Deliberately head-butting blokes by throwing your head back. Nup. Dog acts, no matter what jumper you're wearing.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:Has lost my respect also. Used to like him and think he was hard done by. It's one thing to play hard and tough. But filing your stops. Deliberately head-butting blokes by throwing your head back. Nup. Dog acts, no matter what jumper you're wearing.
He did the best with what he had. A small player without the skill set of other 200 game smalls.

He started in a different era. Not all players were clean, and remember he was hated by opp supporters even more than Milney.

Yep, he was a lowlife scum player it now seems, but that can't excuse the blatantly corrupt MRP and how they didn't treat his cases in a fair manner. That will always be my big bugbear.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
mcadam05
Club Player

I just put it up :)

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Some of you really are dumb arses lol.

It's now a revelation to you that Steven was dirty ?! You now think he cheated to beat opponents every week... Idiots. He beat his opponents fair and square 99.9% of the time, was by close checking, blocking , 100% concentration and ferocity at the ball. Do you honestly think he would of played 203 games in this era if he was head butting, stabbing players with stops, punching behind play every week? Some of you really are simpletons at best

Bring back the Lockett era
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Decided not to watch it. I have found Bakes to be a good guy off the ground and i thought I knew what he got up to on the ground but it seems it was worse than I thought. Rather not really know about it. He was told by a few players not to do the interview. It seems they should have got their way. I actually dont think it will change oppositions supporters views. Most will always class him as a dog but the problem is it seems to have changed some Saints supporters views.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Exactly.

Where were you all when he was actually playing?
Did you even watch him play?

It's such an outrage that these dog acts come to light now.

What a load of shyte.