Favourite player who never played for the Saints?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:

Stupid decision from GT and Rendell to sack Guerra. He is/was the prototype moneyball type player as his kicking was A-grade and surely the brainpower of a football department might have figured out he could use said kicking skills up the ground even a little?
guerra was Never sacked he got a better offer from hawthorn simple as that ... GT I don't think was too upset to see him go but all the same he wasn't sacked
He was delisted? This forum went a bit silly over it as (like I) not many could see the dealio behind it?

Maybe it was another player however I know that GT disliked the Goo and his drinking etc....

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Fom memory swallow was doing athletics as his main sport .. Middle distaff running. He had the goods but as I was saying was regarded not so much for his footy smarts

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

me thinks ur remembering that wrong Redeemer

I don't think many were upset by Guerra's delisiting... he really didn't do much for us after his blistering 1st half of 2004

Personally I've always felt that he was a bit overrated at Hawthorn... carried by a strong team. Doesn't do much other than get easy kicks... utilises his clean disposal well but doesn't have any major qualities that he brings to the team.
He's tough, and always goes in hard at contests but actually doesn't win the ball that much

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

boomer wrote:
Sainternist wrote:Glenn Archer - one of the toughest and most unrelenting defenders I've seen play the game.
I reckon if Archer was one of the toughest defenders, Brereton was right up there as one of the toughest forwards he gave as good as he got & was tough. Similar to our own Aaron Hamill
Yeah, I would have admired Dermie a lot more had he not been such a jerk, both on and off the field.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Moorabbin Man
Club Player

Dermie

hungry for a premiership
Club Player

st.byron wrote:G. Ablett Snr. Used to go to Geelong games sometimes just to watch him play. Saw him beat West Coast off his own boot at the WACA one day. Mesmerising. And he was tough. That same day he ran full steam into a point post about fifty metres from me and you could here the 'thwump' loud and clear. He went down like a sack of spuds. Got straight back up, shook himself, wandered around a bit and took an absolute screamer and kicked a goal about two minutes later.

Leigh Matthews was awesome and I used to enjoy watching Bartlett as well.
Gary ablett senior was an absolute thug.

Remember when he smashed Kristian Bardsley in the face with an elbow?

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
boomer

hungry for a premiership wrote:
st.byron wrote:G. Ablett Snr. Used to go to Geelong games sometimes just to watch him play. Saw him beat West Coast off his own boot at the WACA one day. Mesmerising. And he was tough. That same day he ran full steam into a point post about fifty metres from me and you could here the 'thwump' loud and clear. He went down like a sack of spuds. Got straight back up, shook himself, wandered around a bit and took an absolute screamer and kicked a goal about two minutes later.

If I remember rightly, it was Ablett that ko`d our own David Grant (who was firing @ the time) in the 1991 elimination final.

suss
Club Player

boomer wrote:

If I remember rightly, it was Ablett that ko`d our own David Grant (who was firing @ the time) in the 1991 elimination final.
...and he ko'd Bourkie in the same game. We lost by something like six points. I have no doubt those bumps cost us the game and a crack at a flag.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Dare I point out that fans from clubs other than the Saints and the Swans tend to see Plugger as a complete thug as well.

Ablett and Lockett got thumped by defenders- often off the ball - a lot more times than they would have thumped people.

Ablett should probably have done gaol time for what he has done off the field. But I'm not going to hold any of his on-field acts against him: even those against our players. AFL is a body contact sport. If you don't like that, follow tennis. Or lawn bowls. Or croquet.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:Ablett should probably have done gaol time for what he has done off the field.
you should speak to the police if you have evidence the court didn't consider.

Superboot
SS Life Member

Re the OP, always liked Darryl White

matrix
Saintsational Legend

yeah i always liked nigel lappin as well

Superboot
SS Life Member

And hated Vin Waite, John Nicholls, Kevin Sheedy, Roger Dean, Peter Jones, Robert Walls, Wayne Carey, Gary Hocking, Dermot Brereton.

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

boomer wrote:

And lets not forget what he did to Kristian Bardsley.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

I always liked watching Robert Flower. As skilful as you could get. Really appreciated how good he could have been in a good side when he played in state games.
Also went out of my way to watch Melbourne's games in 94 just to watch David Schwarz. His season that year was incredible. Wasn't far short of Carey. Credit to him that he was able to get back at all after 3 knee recos.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
meher baba wrote:Ablett should probably have done gaol time for what he has done off the field.
you should speak to the police if you have evidence the court didn't consider.
I believe the court saw all the relevant evidence. I just happen to think that a $1500 fine for administering heroin to a 19 yo girl who ends up dying of an overdose is rather lenient.

What aspects of the evidence presented to the court do you consider made a compelling case for Ablett to have avoided a gaol term?

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
saintly
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Not smoking anything buddy.....

We were going to take swallow as a 17yo in 2004 (Sweeney) but overlooked him.....he was not drafted as a bottom ager......he was unable to be rookied in 2004 due to age restrictions with rookies, he got drafted the following year at43 by north....

If not for a tip on Sweeney we would have grabbed him in 04 with our last kick.....his query, kicking skills....
lotsof critics re swallow for a couple of years. now we wish he played for us.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Dax

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:Dax
DAX DOX DUX

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
DAX DOX DUX
I'm hearin ya.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Was the name of our first dog :)

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:I believe the court saw all the relevant evidence. I just happen to think that a $1500 fine for administering heroin to a 19 yo girl who ends up dying of an overdose is rather lenient.

What aspects of the evidence presented to the court do you consider made a compelling case for Ablett to have avoided a gaol term?
what? nfi. i didn't follow the case at all.

but i will say that in my experience if you're having a big day/night out and doing a lot of drugs then it helps if you've got responsible people around - but you can't rely on that. generally they're all as messed up as you are. partying beyond your capabilities isn't supposed to get you killed, but it's a mistake you ultimately make for yourself.

but as i said, i've got no idea what happened in this case.

Tom_Sainter
Club Player

Tony Modra

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:but i will say that in my experience if you're having a big day/night out and doing a lot of drugs then it helps if you've got responsible people around - but you can't rely on that. generally they're all as messed up as you are. partying beyond your capabilities isn't supposed to get you killed, but it's a mistake you ultimately make for yourself.
If what you are saying is that the deceased, presumably starstruck girl chose to put herself seriously in harm's way and that she could therefore be said to contributed significantly to her own demise, then fair enough.

Nevertheless, GA Snr confessed to committing several criminal offences which contributed to an incident which left someone dead. The police went ahead and charged him, presumably expecting he would end up with something more than a $1500 fine. In the end, that's all he got.

I wonder whether the likes of you or me would be so lucky if we had done something similar.

- Jonathan Swift
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:Nevertheless, GA Snr confessed to committing several criminal offences which contributed to an incident which left someone dead. The police went ahead and charged him, presumably expecting he would end up with something more than a $1500 fine. In the end, that's all he got.

I wonder whether the likes of you or me would be so lucky if we had done something similar.
it's a fair question.

i do dislike the guy intensely for a lot of what he did on the field (grant and burke in the finals 91, mainly). i'm just not certain that he should be given too much blame for the tragic and unfortunate events of that night.